SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:51 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,336 Posts
The 1/8” wire cabin braces were installed today.

The wire cabin braces run from just above the bottom of the cabin floor along the inside of fuselage sides, and break at an angle to join together at the middle of the wing center section leading edge face. The braces are soldered together at this juncture, and the ends protrude through the leading edge face and serve to hold down the leading edge of the wing.

West System epoxy and filler was used to secure the brace wires in place along the fuselage sides. Copper wire was used to bind the brace wires at the wing midsection, and rosin-core solder was used after the area was treated with flux paste.

When I sign-off with “thanks for following along”, I mean it in all sincerity. I just noticed that the build has been rated five stars and that it is close to ticking over 6,000 views.

Thanks for following along!

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2009, 07:28 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,336 Posts
Attended to the wing hold-down bolts.

The desired location of the holes for the bolts were measured on the hold-down anchor blocks. The wing was positioned and secured in place, and then the location of the hold-down bolt holes were marked on the top of the trailing edge of the wing. 5/32” pilot holes were drilled, followed by larger holes with a #7 drill bit. This is the compatible size for using a 1/4-20 thread tap.

After the hold-down bolt holes were drilled, the wing was removed and the anchor blocks were threaded using a 1/4-20 thread tap. The holes were then coated with thin CA. The CA will harder the threads in the basswood anchor blocks. When dry, the threads will get another pass with the 1/4-20 tap. The wing holes were enlarged to 1/4” to accept the hold-down bolts.

EJWash
Old Aug 15, 2009, 05:52 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,336 Posts
Glued and clamped the cowl former in place, and also did a little work on the engine mount.

The engine is an OS FS-52. Ran it on the test stand yesterday for the first time. Ticked right over and I ran about four ounces of 15% through it. Just wanted to make sure it was ready to rock. It’s been in the box for a few years...

Measured the engine mount layout on the firewall and installed the 6-32 blind nuts in place. Epoxy on the back to hold them when the bolts are not in place.

Used the Great Planes Dead Center Hole Locator to determine the engine mounting holes. Works like a charm. Pics make it pretty much self-explanatory. Drilled the 6-32 holes for the engine mount bolts.

That’s it for now. There’s gonna be a few idle days...

EJWash
Old Aug 17, 2009, 06:57 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
I love my GP Dead Centering tool, it works extremely well for its' low cost. I used to attempt to drill a pilot hole with a normal drill, however, I never had drills that were long enough to get past the Cylinderhead. Now I clamp the engine down on the mount and make sure the tool is perpendicular to the mount and give a couple twists and "BANG" you've got well positioned pilot holes
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Aug 18, 2009, 09:51 PM
United States, TN, Thompson's Station
Joined May 2004
192 Posts
I read your build thread this evening. Very enjoyable... I got one of these to about 80% maybe 10 years ago. Crated it up in preparation for a move, and it never escaped the crate again. All these photos may inspire me to pry it open.

The one thing I remember about this kit was all the curves. When you're accustomed to simple sport model balsa builds, all those curves on a "real" scale model (sort of scale, anyway) are kinda neat.

Subscribed...

Tim
tblount70 is online now Find More Posts by tblount70
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:16 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,336 Posts
Tim,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblount70
...Crated it up in preparation for a move, and it never escaped the crate again. All these photos may inspire me to pry it open.
Thanks!

I hope that you do open up the crate and pick up where you left off. I wanted a faster build, but I'm having a good time with all the curves...

EJWash
Old Aug 20, 2009, 03:57 PM
Joined Jul 2006
277 Posts
I have followed this thread with great interest. I currently have a Lanier Citabria, which I anticipate needing replaced eventually. This build looks very complicated, and I see many jigs and other tools needing fabrication. Plus, technology I don't have being used to fabricate patterns for custom pieces. Is there a simpler way to build this plane with only the basics? I thought about it for a while, but I just don't think I would have the what it takes. I have built two kits so far. One, I had to send to a professional millwright for rebuild, and the other is being finished by the same person.

NorfolkSouthern
NorfolkSouthern is online now Find More Posts by NorfolkSouthern
Old Aug 20, 2009, 08:44 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
This build looks very complicated, and I see many jigs and other tools needing fabrication. Plus, technology I don't have being used to fabricate patterns for custom pieces. Is there a simpler way to build this plane with only the basics?
Absolutely!

What you see here is just one modeler’s building technique. I go a little far with some of the jigs and fixtures, but this is what brings me pleasure. The tools are an accumulation of years of being a woodworker. I have however added on a few model building tools during this build. The Sig Citabria is made up of mostly sticks. The miniature angle sander and miter saw have been invaluable in providing flush and smooth joints.

You can substitute and improvise many of the tools you see in this build. I’m using what I have on hand. Clothes pins or office clips can be used for some of the clamps you see. I use scrap wood between the clamps and the model to prevent making dents and creases in the model, and to also spread-out the clamping pressure more evenly along the area being glued. This is not necessary, again, its just my style. To do something different neither adds nor takes away from the result.

Another personal preference is that I like to use aphetic resin glues (Titebond, etc.) whenever possible. Some modelers prefer CAs. CA speeds things along. I’d more than likely be finished if I used CA as often as I could, and get the same results as using Titebond. Its all a matter of personal preference and using a building technique for what tools you have on hand.

EJWash
Old Aug 22, 2009, 02:03 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,336 Posts
Got a chance to drill the engine mount. I went with a Great Planes medium nylon engine mount instead of the the provided Sig nylon mounts. The holes were tapped for the 6-32 bolts. Not necessary, but doesn’t hurt. Lock nuts will be secured to the bottom of the bolts for the final installation.

The engine is mounted to a firewall “box” that slides into the fuselage and therefore adjustable to engines of different lengths.

The Citabria will be powered by an OS FS-52. The spinner is a Great Planes 1-3/4” aluminum.

EJWash
Old Aug 23, 2009, 01:04 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,336 Posts
Cooler weather made for the opportunity for a bike ride! Then, on to the engine cowl. I replaced the stock ABS plastic cowl with an epoxy fiberglass one from Fiberglass Specialties.

Fitting the engine cowl is going to require two things; the fitting of the cowl to the firewall, and cutting the cowl to accommodate the protruding cylinder head of the side-mounted engine.

Fitting the cowl to the firewall will come first. a template of the engine crankshaft was installed on the engine mounts. This template will locate the actual location of the engine's thrust washer so the front of the cowl can be positioned. A lot of fitting has to be done. First, the rear of the cowl has to be trimmed and trued-up to fit the firewall.

Just a pic of the engine locator template and a couple of pics of different size Citabria cowls.

EJWash
Old Aug 23, 2009, 06:49 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,732 Posts
I like the motor template, EJ ! Thannks for the tip !!!
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Aug 23, 2009, 11:24 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,336 Posts
Tom,

Just the man I need!

I have to trim about 1/4-3/8" off the rear of the cowl. If I remember correctly, you use a cut-off wheel for this? My plan is to cut a little long and then use a sheet of 150-grit sandpaper spray-glued to MDF. I have to get the edge nice and flat as the cowl fits flush against the cowl ring and firewall. Anything to add, or a different method?

If you ever use the engine template gizmo, just make sure you center the the mock "propeller shaft" bolt on the engine mount just like the engine prop shaft would be.

Thanks!

EJWash
Old Aug 24, 2009, 08:28 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,732 Posts
Ya, EJ. I used a Dremel cutoff wheel on my Spacewalker's cowl, and Stuka spats.

Only one thing to add. Be patient ! Don't rush this one. It's easy to wander from the cut line.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Aug 25, 2009, 08:24 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
EJ, What happened to the thread showing the Super HOTS build, I never heard if he flew the plane or not! RCGroups only goes back 5 pages and then must Archive the posts after this, is there anyway to get that one back?

I know this is unrelated to your thread, but I thought that was such a great thread on building and the magnetic building board.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:37 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,336 Posts
Mode One,

Here ya go:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=hot+hots

Looks like he flew it. Great build.

EJWash