SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:40 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
Larry,

Thanks again.

Every now and then there are questions on how to cover with opaque/transparent combinations. What technique do you use?

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2009, 10:29 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
Been off to celebrate a few festivities of Independence Day.

Please remember those that are actively protecting and are in reserve to protect our freedoms.

EJWash
Last edited by EJWash1; Jul 04, 2009 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Add Gadsden
Old Jul 04, 2009, 08:41 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,550 Posts
I'll be celbrating my Fourth at the flying field.

I hope that everyone has a safe and happy holiday !!!
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jul 04, 2009, 09:11 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
Declared a little independence of my own today and stole a little time away from the pool, grill, and gang and hit the shop and worked on the tail feathers.

By the way, when using the large handscrew clamps as seen in the pics, only light pressure is required and thus applied.

EJWash
Old Jul 05, 2009, 08:01 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,550 Posts
Glad that you celebrated the Fourth well, EJ.

I did too, as I successfully maidened my new Taylorcraft.
Old Jul 05, 2009, 01:18 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
Congrats on the T-Craft maiden Tom!

The rest of the day was a blast!

EJWash
Old Jul 05, 2009, 04:08 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
Glued and clamped part of the elevator frame. I'm using West System 105 epoxy resin with a bot of 404 filler for body. Titebond or equivalent would have been fine, but I wanted a slower setting time (given the heat in the shop) to get good glue penetration.

I saw some really cool small bar clamps in another build thread. The only identifier or marking on them was that they were manufactured in New Zealand. I had to have some, so they were tracked down to Nelson Hobby Specialties in Keller, Texas (http://www.nelsonhobby.com/).

These clamps are very light and unimposing, unlike the typical woodworking clamps where weight and cumbersome positioning come into play. They provide good clamping pressure. The ones I bought are 16" long and have a 13" clamping width. There are two other sizes, 6" (2-1/2" clamping width) and 12" (9" clamping width).

Thanks for following along!

EJWash
Old Jul 05, 2009, 08:42 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,550 Posts
Nice clamps, EJ.

Nelsons carries some nice products.
Old Jul 09, 2009, 07:48 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
Meanwhile back at the shop...

Finished building and rough sanding the tail feathers. Many pieces to cut, sand, and glue. Outer framework epoxied together with West System, diagonal ribs glued with CA. Rounding of the edges and final sanding later.

On to the fuselage!

Thanks for following along!

EJWash
Old Jul 10, 2009, 09:48 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
I didn’t have to separate the fuselage wood from the bunch because all that’s left IS fuselage wood.

The right 1/8” sheet fuselage side was pinned to the plan. The outline dimensions were checked. The sheet is a little long, and the excess is cut-off on the forward end. After the right side was trimmed, I double-taped the left side to it and sanded the left side to the outline of the right to get two identical pieces .

The cabin frame pieces were CA’d into place on the side sheets. I left off the top piece off for now so I have clamping access for the fuselage stringers. The top piece of the cabin former will be glued-in after the top fuselage stringer is in place.

I moved inside the house because I will be gluing with Titebond, and being that the shop is hot, clamping set-up time is shorter. I like to brush on my glue to get a nice even layer, and by the time I get to the end of a longer stick of wood, in this heat, the starting end of the stick is already skinning over...

The primary strength of any glue is achieved through penetration and pressure. Pressure enhances penetration, and is best achieved through clamping. The important part of clamping is to provide even and equal pressure along the pieces being glued together. Softer woods, like balsa, can present a challenge.

To demonstrate a point, we need a few small spring clamps (or clothes pins) and a few popsicle sticks (if you don’t have these items, just follow along). Take a couple of small spring clamps (or clothes pins) and put them on your little (“pinky”) finger. You’ll feel the pressure, or pinch, just where the clamps are. Now remove the clamps from your finger and put a popsicle stick on each side of your finger. Now apply the clamps to the popsicle sticks (takes talent...). Now you will feel even pressure along the length of your finger. Now think about if I had asked you to apply glue along your finger for both scenarios. In the case of just applying the clamps, the pressure would have only been where the clamps were, and thus the best bonding would have only been under the clamps. In adding the popsicle sticks, the clamping pressure spreads out along the sticks. Okay, if you glued the popsicle sticks to your finger, soak it in water for a while...

I made a couple of platforms to glue the stringers to the fuselage sides out of 1/4” hardboard. The platforms will sandwich the stringers and fuselage side, allowing even pressure while the glue sets. When two pieces of wood are glued together, the glue can make the pieces slide around as the clamps are applied. I glued and clamped one stringer at a time so I can manage control of the two pieces. This takes a little longer in the glueing process, but makes for less time sanding and shaping a stringer(s) if the slides are out of alignment.

EJWash
Old Jul 11, 2009, 12:18 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
Stringers and vertical stiffener in place on the fuselage sides.

One complaint. Be VERY careful of the cabin framing. I barely bumped them a couple of times and ended up re-gluing them into position. They do get sandwiched between a plywood outer frame and inside supports, but in the present stage, they are very fragile!

I am contemplating cutting lightning holes in the fuselage sides. The plan calls for a single stringer down the middle of the side of the fuselage, and I can either cut holes above and below the stringer, or go with larger lightening holes in which the area of the stringer over the lightening hole would be unsupported.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for following along.

EJWash
Last edited by EJWash1; Jul 11, 2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 01:15 PM
Kingston, Tn
Joined Apr 2009
60 Posts
Looking good EJ, I wish I could continue with mine to get it finished....but gotta get the building area finished first before I make the wife too mad.
BillyP. is offline Find More Posts by BillyP.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 02:32 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
Thanks BillyP,

Hey, you know how it goes: "If Momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy!"

EJWash
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:27 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
Some time spent of joining the fuselage halves today. The front and aft cabin fomers were epoxied into place (:30 min epoxy).

The foremost front piece is not the firewall. This particular design uses a firewall box, if you will, that will slide into the front formers (aka "bulkheads").

The upper cabin brace was also epoxied into place.

I love my new lightweight bar clamps!

EJWash
Old Jul 12, 2009, 08:44 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,550 Posts
Your fuselage is coming along well, RJ.

How are you enjoying your 120 degree highs, with 90 degree lows ???

It'll hit a stiffling high of 77 here, today.