Old May 23, 2009, 07:47 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,050 Posts
Build Log
Sig 1/6 Scale Citabria Build

All,

When we entertain out-of-town guests, they always want to see the "toy" airplanes fly. I don't have a trainer-type model, so I picked up a Sig Citabria to have on hand for "demo" flights.

I've always liked Sig, and upon opening the box for this model, I was not disappointed. I will use as much of what is included, but I can't help but to change out some of the included hardware and a couple of other items.

First off, I went through the kit, piece-by-piece, and the only wood that I replaced were both the front and rear internal wing spars. All were cupped, and one was both cupped and twisted. The rest of the components of the kit was very nice.

I removed the ribs from their cut sheets, stacked and sanded them. I also tapered the front and rear internal spars. Hopefully I'll get some time this weekend to lay-out a wing panel on the building board.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Last edited by EJWash1; May 24, 2009 at 10:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2009, 07:49 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,050 Posts
Started framing up the right wing panel. I need portability, so I'm building on top of a 2' X 4' ceiling tile that I spray-glued to a piece of 2' X 4' X 3/4" melamine board. I am not impressed with the ceiling tile. It does not hold pins solidly enough to my satisfaction. I will continue on with this wing panel, but will give either dry wall (sheet rock, gypsum board) a try going forward.

I positioned the ribs on the forward and rear internal spars and CA'd them in place. I will go back over the CA joints with a 50/50 Titebond/Water solution to seal the joints. I will be using Titebond on the rest of the joinery.

EJWash
Old May 23, 2009, 07:58 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,050 Posts
I'm a bit disappointed with the ceiling tile building board. Although it takes pins very well, the pins just don't hold down firm. I tried various size T-pins, and they hold a little bit better than the grip pins, but I prefer a more solid hold. I might try a hollow-core interior door, or a Great Planes building board.

Today I went back over the ribs and spars with Titebond glue. I decided to use 100% instead of diluting it. I usually apply the glue in this area with a small paint brush, but tried out using a syringe. I LIKEY! Less mess. A more fine line.

After I glue all the rib/spar areas, the wing will be securely pinned back down onto the building board.

EJWash
Old May 24, 2009, 05:19 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,648 Posts
Following as well. It's looking good so far. the syringe is a good idea. Where did you get that from?

Thanks,

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Murocflyer; May 25, 2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old May 24, 2009, 12:32 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,050 Posts
Frank,

Thanks!

Using the syringe is like using a miniature caulking gun. Really easy to draw out a straight line.

I ordered the syringes from:

http://www.thebalsastore.com/

Look under "glue".

EJWash
Old May 24, 2009, 04:49 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,050 Posts
Ordered a Great Planes building board to give it a try. No woodworking today.

I did tinker with the main landing gear though. The kit includes fully threaded bolts to act as axles. I replaced the bolts with stainless steel ones and pressed on a piece of brass tubing in the area the wheel will be riding on. Another issue was centering the wheel in the middle of the wheel pants. An aluminum spacer took care of that.

EJWash
Old May 24, 2009, 07:30 PM
Kingston, Tn
Joined Apr 2009
60 Posts
Looking good EJ
BillyP. is offline Find More Posts by BillyP.
Old May 24, 2009, 07:46 PM
Larry Jasmann
Severna Park MD
Joined Jul 2008
462 Posts
Excellent build thread.. I will be following..

Larry
ljasmann is offline Find More Posts by ljasmann
Old May 24, 2009, 10:29 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,050 Posts
BillyP,

Larry,

Thank you much for the encouragement.

There's a long way to go, with somewhat limited shop time. I wanted to get more of the wing going, but I want a sturdy and solid building surface.

BillyP, I was going over the fuselage plans. Looks like there's a few opportunities to cut some lightning holes in the upper formers and fuselage sides.

EJWash
Old May 25, 2009, 05:41 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1
Frank,

Thanks!

Using the syringe is like using a miniature caulking gun. Really easy to draw out a straight line.

I ordered the syringes from:

http://www.thebalsastore.com/

Look under "glue".

EJWash
Thanks EJ!

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2009, 06:07 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
10,769 Posts
Nice project, EJ.

I tried ceiling tile, once. Didn't care fore them either. I now use Celotex, on a hollow core door.

I like what you did to the axles, too.

Keep up with your innovative style !!!
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old May 25, 2009, 07:25 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
A nice project

EJW,

I am happy to see you do a project on a nice kit.

I am particularly happy to see that you will not CA that airplane.

Not only that but your pictures show some glue filleting in the corners.

What I have been preaching all along.

I hope to follow your progress with great interest and encouragement.

As you build your wings, if not too late, a good idea is to glue your wings with a couple of degrees of washout.

Your gluing will be rewarded with much less damage in the event of a badluck landing.

All the best success EJW,

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 25, 2009, 08:08 AM
Kingston, Tn
Joined Apr 2009
60 Posts
Zor, the R4 ribs already have I believe about 2 degrees of washout built into them, props to SIG for thinking ahead on that part.

I am actually going for the opposite approach and using all CA and epoxy on mine, that was what I learned to build with and even though I know that the titebond, alphretic(sp) glue is good to use I just can't bring myself to use it.
Old May 25, 2009, 12:24 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyP.
Zor, the R4 ribs already have I believe about 2 degrees of washout built into them, props to SIG for thinking ahead on that part.

I am actually going for the opposite approach and using all CA and epoxy on mine, that was what I learned to build with and even though I know that the titebond, alphretic(sp) glue is good to use I just can't bring myself to use it.

BillyP,

I am confident EJW has checked or will check if that washout is aleady built in.

Titebond advantage is that it is a type of glue that you can build the fillets, increase the binding areas up to 5 times and build a much stronger structure.
It is all up to you.

Good luck with your gluing.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 25, 2009, 01:36 PM
Kingston, Tn
Joined Apr 2009
60 Posts
Oh, I know that it does, I'm building the same exact kit right now as well.