HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2009, 09:03 PM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Question
How do I set the brake on an Electrify ESC when throttle is on the switch?

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but hopefully someone will have an idea of how to do this.

I have an Eclipse 7 radio, an AXI motor, and an Electrify ESC. I want the ESC (throttle) to be controlled by a switch - I fly electric sailplanes, where the throttle is either only on or off.

My programming manual shows that to set the glider up the way I described, the proportional throttle doesn't work, which is what on needs to set the brake. How would I set the brake on the ESC, if I only have the switch as speed control?

Any ideas are appreciated!

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2009, 09:29 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Most ESC the brake option is eithier off or on. Some have soft brake and some only have hard brake. If brake is set to on then it does not matter if zero throttle is by way of stick position or switch. No (zero) throttle means brake.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old May 22, 2009, 10:22 PM
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Thanks EveryDayFlyer,

I guess what I need is to know how to program the Electrify ESC without having to use the proportional throttle stick as the way one sets the brake, which is how the instructions say to do it.

I need to know if there is a way to turn the brake on some other way, almost like CC, or Motrofly ESC's that have some form of "programming" card, as the way you set various controls like the brake.

May need to ditch the Electrify, and go with another ESC...

Thanks again,

Rob
Old May 22, 2009, 10:29 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,598 Posts
Could you temporarily connect the ESC to a proportional channel, do the programming, then move it to the switch control? Just an idea.
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old May 22, 2009, 10:55 PM
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMatta
Could you temporarily connect the ESC to a proportional channel, do the programming, then move it to the switch control? Just an idea.
Hey NoMatta,

Interesting idea, and your suggestion helped me to think about a slightly different way to do what I'm trying to achieve, but using your thinking.

On my radio, I can program in settings for up to 7 models. Each model has to be either ACRO (planes), GLIDER (my settings), or HELI. If I use GLIDER, the default is throttle on the switch. If I use ACRO, then I get proportional throttle control.

Thing is, I originally setup my sailplane using GLIDER, but then when I realized I couldn't program the ESC, I tried what you suggest, only I lost all of my other programming settings - trim, etc., when I switched.

I'm thinking that I may just need to use another "Model" option, set to ACRO, then program the ESC, and then switch to the GLIDER mode that I want. I would theoretically be able to keep my other settings, and maybe set the ESC into having the brake on while I'm at it?!

Worth a try. May just need to steer clear of Electrify ESC's in the future, if this doesn't work. Anyone possibly interested in a never used 35 ESC?

Cheers, and I'll let you know if this works,

Rob
Old May 23, 2009, 02:15 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robh
I guess what I need is to know how to program the Electrify ESC without having to use the proportional throttle stick as the way one sets the brake, which is how the instructions say to do it.
Which Electrify ESC do you have?

AFAIK, no Electrify ESC requires a 'proportional' throttle for programming. They only need to have the throttle set fully On or Off, which is what your switch does!
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old May 23, 2009, 10:14 AM
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott
Which Electrify ESC do you have?

AFAIK, no Electrify ESC requires a 'proportional' throttle for programming. They only need to have the throttle set fully On or Off, which is what your switch does!
Thanks Bruce for the reply.

It's an Electrify Silver Series Brushless 35A ESC.

Here's what the manual says about setting the brake on the ESC, which is what I need to do - the prop windmills in the breeze when the motor is switched off.

BRAKE FUNCTION: The factory default brake setting is “off”.
Skip to the “ESC OPERATION” section below if you want to
keep this setting. To turn the brake “on”:
1. Move the throttle stick to full throttle, turn on the transmitter
and connect the battery to the ESC.
2. After 5 seconds the motor will beep twice.
3. Move the throttle stick to the off position (towards you). The
motor will beep twice.
4. Again move the throttle stick to full power. The motor will
beep twice to confirm the brake is now “on”.
5. Move the throttle stick back to off. The motor will now beep
four times indicating the motor is “armed”.
To turn the brake off, repeat the above process. This time the
motor will only beep once with each stick movement, but will
beep four times again at the end to indicate the ESC is armed.
Once the brake is set, it does not require resetting after the
ESC has been switched off.

Is there another way to do this, if the proportional throttle doesn't "work", since I have the motor setup to work on a switch?

Thanks for any and all help,

Rob
Old May 23, 2009, 05:59 PM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,185 Posts
According to the instructions only two throttle positions are required for programming - 'full power' and 'off'.

So, just substitute 'motor on/off switch' for 'throttle stick'.
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old May 23, 2009, 08:38 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,949 Posts
This is a little off topic but an important aside: You may want to use soft braking, especially if you'll be swinging a big folder. When used with a conventional throttle, a prop will slow down some as the throttle is rolled back before the braking is activated, but with a switch for throttle you go directly from full throttle to full braking. This can loosten prop nuts and break motor mounts so it's best to slow the prop down at least somewhat gradually.

Pete (who's been there, done that)
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR