HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2009, 03:44 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,817 Posts
Found a great place to play today this will be its last run as standard, as got Hpi 5700kv motor coming and Mamba Max 100amp esc.
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2009, 04:08 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,153 Posts
Phil: I love your quote, "I once beat Colin McCabe". Heck, I'd proclaim it to the RC bike world if I had!!!
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Sep 03, 2009, 07:10 PM
mp-
Napa, California
Joined Jan 2004
706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve bisco
Found a great place to play today this will be its last run as standard, as got Hpi 5700kv motor coming and Mamba Max 100amp esc.
Always good to take the nice pics before you apply the punishing power of Castle. Is the gyro fully ballraced? If not, you'll surely need some new parts inside the rear wheel after a few full throttle runs with the 5700KV motor.

Looks like a blast, let us know how it holds up!

mp-
mp- is offline Find More Posts by mp-
Old Sep 04, 2009, 01:54 AM
Warwick - UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,151 Posts
The ring gear ruins on a one way needle roller, and the main flywheel weight runs on twin ball races so they are all good. The only problem I can see with going over speed is the three planetary gears which do not run in bearings, just on a pin shaft, so be prepared to grease/oil them regular if going for insane speed.
Me I think it's great just as it is and would make a great racing class.
On a big area or car park yes it can feel like you need more speed, but if we lay the track out to suit the speed of the kit bike it will be superb just as it is.

PS. hey Guido, I have twice beaten Colin McCabe, once outright at the Tibshelf Bike GP 2006 when I won the Nitro A Final, (because Colin and John were having troubles and crashing a lot), and secondly at a Mendip multiformula day, (he gave me that one and was just messing about)
So it doesn't count either way.
Dez82 is offline Find More Posts by Dez82
Old Sep 04, 2009, 07:09 AM
UK
Joined Mar 2007
325 Posts
can you use these bikes in wet conditions are the electrics sealed
hunterz is offline Find More Posts by hunterz
Old Sep 04, 2009, 07:17 AM
Warwick - UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,151 Posts
Sadly neither the RTR ESC or 27MHz radio gear is waterproof, but for this price I didn't expect it to be.

Most racers are fair weather jockies anyway so it's not a huge problem.
It's only us hard core bikers that will strip it out so we can splash through puddles with probably an Mtroniks Speedo and brushless combo that's 100% waterproof and just put the reciever in a balloon then seal the servo case with shoo goo.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 07:31 AM
UK
Joined Mar 2007
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez82
Sadly neither the RTR ESC or 27MHz radio gear is waterproof, but for this price I didn't expect it to be.

Most racers are fair weather jockies anyway so it's not a huge problem.
It's only us hard core bikers that will strip it out so we can splash through puddles with probably an Mtroniks Speedo and brushless combo that's 100% waterproof and just put the reciever in a balloon then seal the servo case with shoo goo.
would it be hard to make the stock electrics water proof enough to run it on wet grass
Old Sep 04, 2009, 08:19 AM
Warwick - UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,151 Posts
Well as there's a shiled (lexan radiator) filling the front of the bike chassis it will deflect most grit and moisture from the front wheel, but there's no a lot to stop water getting flung forward from the rear wheel, so I wouldn't take the chance, if there is a wet rooster it will find a way in and wreck your day.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 01:13 PM
I once beat Colin McCabe
Southport, England
Joined Oct 2005
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidoracer
Phil: I love your quote, "I once beat Colin McCabe". Heck, I'd proclaim it to the RC bike world if I had!!!
LOL!

Thanks Guido, I earned my victory - not like other people *cough* DEZ*cough*
Squidlips is offline Find More Posts by Squidlips
Old Sep 04, 2009, 02:00 PM
UK
Joined Mar 2007
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez82
Well as there's a shiled (lexan radiator) filling the front of the bike chassis it will deflect most grit and moisture from the front wheel, but there's no a lot to stop water getting flung forward from the rear wheel, so I wouldn't take the chance, if there is a wet rooster it will find a way in and wreck your day.
Thanks for the help I just orderd one of these bikes hopfully I can make it a bit more waterproof
Old Sep 04, 2009, 04:14 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,817 Posts
Ran mine today with the Hpi 5700kv motor and Mamba Max 100amp esc, wow! what a difference fantastic!! wheelies no problem now lost a little steering as the gyro spins a lot faster but tightened up the steering springs and sorted now, 2cell 3200mah lipo runs it for 10mins, need that steering damper now though. Took the gyro apart to check it out and all looks fine, just gave it a little lube and put it back together, these bikes are so good on loose gravel but just dont stand to close behind it as it kicks it straight up in your face. So only time will tell how its going to stand up to this much power, but running it standard that gyro will last forever, hope to get some vid very soon.
Old Sep 04, 2009, 05:31 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve bisco
Ran mine today with the Hpi 5700kv motor and Mamba Max 100amp esc, wow! what a difference fantastic!! wheelies no problem now lost a little steering as the gyro spins a lot faster but tightened up the steering springs and sorted now, 2cell 3200mah lipo runs it for 10mins, need that steering damper now though. Took the gyro apart to check it out and all looks fine, just gave it a little lube and put it back together, these bikes are so good on loose gravel but just dont stand to close behind it as it kicks it straight up in your face. So only time will tell how its going to stand up to this much power, but running it standard that gyro will last forever, hope to get some vid very soon.
Pretty please with sugar on top.....
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Sep 05, 2009, 04:25 PM
Warwick - UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,151 Posts
Yup, dying to see how it compares to the RTR kit bike, half the run time should mean twice the fun in half the time...
Anderson M5 Cross (2 min 4 sec)
Old Sep 06, 2009, 03:07 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,817 Posts
5700kv Anderson

Well out again with the brushless Anderson today just mental but such fun just got a short clip on the phone but gives you some Idea, will get real camara out later, top speed is such that it throws the front tire off so have to keep it down a little, even then its lifting the front wheel all the time. So got to glue the front tire everybody over the flying field could not believe how fast it was and how slow it could run, video dont do the bike justice just love it
Brushless Anderson M5 Bike (1 min 38 sec)
Old Sep 06, 2009, 03:24 PM
Jerez De La Frontera La Parra, Spain
Joined Oct 2004
134 Posts
hello!
thanks for vid Steve, that lipo you use ant time run.
sorry for my english
nobita is offline Find More Posts by nobita