SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Jun 2012
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimob23 View Post
Those plastic guards on the fork shafts are more for show than anything else .
have seen some people using balloon necks and cable ties but recently found a single old dust boot from i think was a 1:1 car hand brake cable .
Looked the business but have been unable to find anything similar since you get the standard response to an enquiry in a auto parts shop as the "What is the part no?"
The boating lads use something similar to waterproof the linkages out of the radio box but one end is very small to fit the control cable .
Any ideas apart from the balloon ?
How about Mountain Bike V Brake Rubber Boots like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-ASHIMA...item1e6de47e57
Bonzodog690 is offline Find More Posts by Bonzodog690
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:14 PM
Vzzznnnn...
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Oct 2010
220 Posts
Strange thing.. I have no photos of the "filling-with-polyurethane-foam-the-riders" procedure...

Here is the best I can find:

If you take a closer look at the left rider, is filled with foam (you can see it where the "chest" ends), then cut using a knife and painted with the same color.

Here is without the left hand. You can see the different color of the foam that is inside the body.
vegos is offline Find More Posts by vegos
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:53 PM
Kungsangen, Stockholm, Sweden
Sweden, Upplands-Bro Municipality
Joined Dec 2011
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimob23 View Post
Those plastic guards on the fork shafts are more for show than anything else .
have seen some people using balloon necks and cable ties but recently found a single old dust boot from i think was a 1:1 car hand brake cable .
Looked the business but have been unable to find anything similar since you get the standard response to an enquiry in a auto parts shop as the "What is the part no?"
The boating lads use something similar to waterproof the linkages out of the radio box but one end is very small to fit the control cable .
Any ideas apart from the balloon ?
This works for me. I'm still using the original fork shaft guards.
z_dad is offline Find More Posts by z_dad
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:52 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzodog690 View Post
How about Mountain Bike V Brake Rubber Boots like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-ASHIMA...item1e6de47e57
Thanks
Good lead and will go a check out a few cycle shops .
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:10 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,833 Posts
Thanks, vegos. For some reason, I'd pictured the arms and legs filled in with foam too - probably because it's always bothered me that they're only the outside halves. I wish they'd offer the rest of him as an upgrade
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:05 PM
Vzzznnnn...
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Oct 2010
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
Thanks, vegos. For some reason, I'd pictured the arms and legs filled in with foam too - probably because it's always bothered me that they're only the outside halves. I wish they'd offer the rest of him as an upgrade
It was my intension to fill them too, but I had to put something hard, maybe lexan or plexiglass, to the inside (to close the arm/hand) and I got bored to do it

Maybe the next version. I have a rider in very good condition, with his head. But in 2 pieces lol, so the project is to temporarily glue the head, fill then with foam and maybe something inside (1 or 2 long screws) for more strength. BUT as always, I keep it in mind and will try it later
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:12 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,833 Posts
I wonder if cutting the fingers off thin disposable rubber gloves, to stretch over the arms and legs, would help with the foam filling process.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:54 AM
Vzzznnnn...
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Oct 2010
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
I wonder if cutting the fingers off thin disposable rubber gloves, to stretch over the arms and legs, would help with the foam filling process.
I guess not. The foam has too much "energy". It needs to bloat and it's too powerful. At my second rider, I had to open some holes with the dremel to the head, so the foam find a way-out, unless it would broke the lexan.
At least with polyurethane foam. I don't know for other materials...

And don't forget: When you mess with polyurethane foam, always use gloves. It's too sticky and you will spend all of your wife's acetone bottles
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:54 AM
Vzzznnnn...
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Oct 2010
220 Posts
Ok, finally I found the photo of the rider with the foam.

It was filled and the cut the unwanted part with a knife, and painted with the same color as outside.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:44 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,833 Posts
Thanks, vegos. That definitely has potential. I guess doing it on a new one, with the protective film still on, would work best.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:04 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,406 Posts
Had to show Ian G's latest creation.

Nitro M5 (1 min 32 sec)

On another note, what oil should I be putting in the rear damper?

After going through 50 pages of this thread, I'm tired and not looking forward to re reading the DX450 threads.

So far I've found Dave A's suggestion of an extra 1mm hole and 3000 diff oil and a conversion to Revo shocks (but with no reference to spring/oil )

Help!
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:19 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,803 Posts
Im not a nitro guy but that is cool, so good job to the maker.

As for the reading lol JB, I did the same thing AND all the dx450 tip thread pages...shewww! I took notes on everything I was interested in doing to the bike. Its been about 8 months since Ive used the bike - need to fix the owb again. Anyways, I had to dig up my thread about my dx450 to see what I did with the revo shock. Revo used a 3 hole piston maybe 1mm holes and "blue" coded spring, even though color is red. Ive heard of others using 3000, even 7000. I was trying 1000cst. If curious heres my link. Fixing up a dx450 for local dirt track.

Once I get bike back up and running I may try the big bore shock that chktm (chris) is using on the mm450, only Ive seen it set up on an m5 in a video before that was installed on the right side of swingarm where that mounting plate is.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:27 AM
Australia, QLD, Burua
Joined Jul 2012
2,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bradbury View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmj_-...=ULlmj_-6CVo4s

After going through 50 pages of this thread, I'm tired and not looking forward to re reading the DX450 threads.

So far I've found Dave A's suggestion of an extra 1mm hole and 3000 diff oil and a conversion to Revo shocks (but with no reference to spring/oil )

Help!
That's neat and goes well. I think I've seen that vid John, ( of the bike with the big rear shock mounted on the side) the bike performs really well. It's on a small indoor track if I remember correctly. JB my mate put 3000 in his shock and was happy.
chktm is online now Find More Posts by chktm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Test video
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:09 AM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,406 Posts
Ta for the replies lads.

I'll have a read of your thread JMc today. I can't face doing the main DX thread just yet Timmah's thread will be read before trawling that one! The M5 thread seems to be page after page of what brushless setup to use That's an easy one for me. 6000Kv and the biggest battery I can squeeze into the battery tray!

I'll give the 3000 oil a bash and see how it goes and maybe buy a Revo shock for a spare and as a comparison. Hopefully it shouldn't take too long to get some nice front to rear balance, something lacking at the moment. I'm either out of balance or the rear is spending too much time in the air rather than on the ground transmitting power.

The track I run at is not very smooth, especially at the worst places, the middle switchbacks where I'm losing gyro speed. The 1/8 nitro buggies have dug some nice solid bumps to try and tackle, which is easy for them, not so easy for me Hopefully, by getting the suspension right, I can stop the collywobbles developing because of the diminishing gyro speed. The M5 E-gyro is just too far out of price range at the moment and of course it wont produce the miracle cure when the suspension is wrong in the first place!

I'm on a bit of a mission you see, if I can scare them down the straights and make them worried everywhere else then I'll call that mission success! I wont beat them of course outright, but if I can get them worried...
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:25 AM
If u aint 1st your last
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
1,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bradbury View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmj_-...=ULlmj_-6CVo4s

Help!
That is the best M5 i have seen you gotta love the nitro it gives it that little bit extra cool factor.
Throttlejunkie is offline Find More Posts by Throttlejunkie