HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:35 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,803 Posts
Awesome job on the front brake Jim. I was planning on doing the same thing, since I have both vmx and dx450. I wasnt sure if I was going to drill the holes in disk or make mount with same shape as the vmx left wheel hub for brake kit has. It just never became a priority for me though and just kept putting it off.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:03 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Vegos
I was thinking along the same lines regarding the end caps and like you tried them in both possible positions on the same conditions but saw no change but like you dont claim to drive on the edge .
The Venom has a similar set up which does make noticable changes and seems strange the M5 instructions they state which is the correct way with no indication as to what happens if reversed .
Thanks for your comments
Jim
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
Last edited by Jimob23; Sep 24, 2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:18 AM
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
Awesome job on the front brake Jim. I was planning on doing the same thing, since I have both vmx and dx450. I wasnt sure if I was going to drill the holes in disk or make mount with same shape as the vmx left wheel hub for brake kit has. It just never became a priority for me though and just kept putting it off.
I did try to modify the M5 hub to make the disc floating but after a few attempts at this and also mounting the caliper ended up with the simple set up as shown .
With the set up being designed for the 1/4 Venom the disc size is a bit over kill and made the set up very harsh .
Moved the caliper so about 50% of the pads are in contact with the disc and is much better where I have now set the braking % so 70% is on the front and 30% on the rear via the motor
Seems to be the answer where turning is more precise but would need to replace all the weights in the gyro to confirm
Cheers
Jim
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Time has come for me to look to replacing the rider on my M5 as he has been patched up with a 'home brew' of lexan disolved in MEK but is making the material very brittle
A replacement is in the region of 25.00 where a new RTR,with no batteries, is only 150 so seems a tad expensive
Not considering purchasing a RTR but could be between a rock and hard place here so before I continue does anyone know of an alternative .
I realise there is the weight factor to consider but perhaps a smaller version of the Venom foam rubber one that could be painted !!!
Thanks
Jim
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:51 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,834 Posts
Since you mention prices in pounds, I assume you're in the UK, Jim? It's worth adding that to your profile, for questions like that.

Wheelspin apparently sell the same riders at two very different prices, depending on the colour. I was tempted to ask why, but I thought it might be best to just keep quiet about it Let us know if you order one because I've been curious about that for a while now, but don't actually need a spare, yet. Shadow stock is orderable, and doesn't normally take more than a few days longer:

E.g. Orange 9.49:

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/57024/ - same price for blue, green and clear (I like the idea of a clear one: http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/57002/)

Red 18.99:

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/57023/ - same price for yellow.

More here:

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/c/6...m5&v=2&o=3&p=1

I notice orange and clear are available at both prices... Very odd.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:58 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,834 Posts
What's the verdict on the steel main gear? I was sold on the idea til I read about it increasing chain wear, which makes sense, I guess.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:26 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,803 Posts
Ive seen a lot of videos and pics of others using the hpi rider (ricky clone).
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:16 PM
Vzzznnnn...
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Oct 2010
220 Posts
As I have already write in that topic, I has one Anderson rider filled with polyuretham foam.
I currently have 3 riders, I had filled the 2 of them, and they still have no problems (except one left hand, it can't be filled, but it's glued again and put some tie-wraps for extra strenght).

It's a bit heavier, but who cares?
vegos is offline Find More Posts by vegos
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:59 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,834 Posts
How did you get the foam to stay where you wanted it, vegos? Or more to the point, how did you stop it trying to go everywhere else?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Once again some words of wisdom from Vegos and perhaps stealing his thunder here that expanding foam in the can (Places like Homebase/B&Q) sticks to virtually anything .
I would say masking tape over any big areas like the arm pit would stop any excess and then cling film over the main exposed body.
Also applying small amounts at a time and allowing them to expand fully would help.

Andy2No
Point taken regarding location but just so the forum knows i am perhaps a numpty how does one get into changing ones profile details ?
Only came onto the forum recently and have tried to add to profile but gave up as can get to see it but not how to change .
Correct it is UK ,Ware,just north of London
Thanks also for the links as i had only had a quick look on EBay .The clear one look cheap if you already have the correct polycarbonate paint and you can also then tart it up so not just the bland base colour .
Cheers
Jim
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:31 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,834 Posts
You're welcome, Jim.

Click on My RCGroups (near top left), the on the left, you'll see

Your Control Panel
Your Profile
Edit Your Details
Set Location
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:19 AM
Vzzznnnn...
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Oct 2010
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
How did you get the foam to stay where you wanted it, vegos? Or more to the point, how did you stop it trying to go everywhere else?
As Andy2No said, I'm using some tape and I cut some pieces of plastic/metal/paper for stopping it. BUT you don't care so much.
You leave it to pour and when it driy, you cut with a knife the spilled foam.

A hint is to hang the rider, so the foam will drop down and not stuck to the rider.
I'll upload some photos when I'm back home.
vegos is offline Find More Posts by vegos
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:39 AM
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
You're welcome, Jim.

Click on My RCGroups (near top left), the on the left, you'll see

Your Control Panel
Your Profile
Edit Your Details
Set Location
Top man and now sorted .
I was going the other side so getting into My Blog page and no further .
Has it been a bit damp your way recently ????????
looks like autuum has passed by quickly
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:47 AM
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Those plastic guards on the fork shafts are more for show than anything else .
have seen some people using balloon necks and cable ties but recently found a single old dust boot from i think was a 1:1 car hand brake cable .
Looked the business but have been unable to find anything similar since you get the standard response to an enquiry in a auto parts shop as the "What is the part no?"
The boating lads use something similar to waterproof the linkages out of the radio box but one end is very small to fit the control cable .
Any ideas apart from the balloon ?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:01 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,834 Posts
I'll look forward to the pictures, vegos.

The weather's mostly looked like this, Jim. It has got quite a bit colder, in just a couple of days too.