HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2012, 03:46 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of putting the steering rod on top of the triple clamps, with a longer servo horn and double springs. It would make the rod a straight run ( I had problems with the KP with the standard bent rod so altered it) Has anyone tried?
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 07:49 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2012
6 Posts
I'll take a photo of the linkage tonight. But basically a piece of threaded rod between the triple clamps (threaded into the holes for the number plate screws), attached a ball cup with a hole drilled through the cup (for the threaded rod to go through) and attached that to a piece of rod attached to the servo, but still with the original spring tensioner setup.

I did try the outer hole at first, but you lose a lot of steering as it doesn't push / pull far enough.

The Hitech servo is not too shabby for speed - 12 or 14ms I think? Fine for steering. It was a spare steering servo for my truggy. A lot of the bikes steering shimmer is actually the (original) servo being unable to hold the load. I tried stronger springs, softer springs, full and no pre-tension on them and nothing really worked well which is when I realised the servo was useless and the horn could be turned by hand (a small amount) when it was on full lock. Try doing that with a proper servo! Even a 12kg or 14kg servo would be better.

Thanks for the tip with the back wheel, will look into that. I see you have the aftermarket front forks, how are they working out for you? They are quite heavy, and I did wonder what that would do to the handling. I'll never find out as I can't finish mine....
K1w166 is offline Find More Posts by K1w166
Old May 07, 2012, 11:40 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,784 Posts
I purchased mine used and the alum forks were already installed. I cant compare them to stock, but anything with oil dampening is better in my book. It allows more control by changing oils. Most of the responses Ive read indicate its a worthy upgrade. As far as added weight, they are aluminum and weigh hardly anything compared to the ton carried in rear wheel.

Too bad you got a bum set of parts. Have you considered mailing them to Anderson for replacement?
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old May 08, 2012, 07:25 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2012
6 Posts
I'll try and get the two bits needed from the Aus distributor through the shop where I bought it, just gotta remember to ask the shop guy.

The linkage, simple but effective... the hole through the ball cup is tight enough that it doesn't slide up and down, but does swivel.

You can also see the spring crash bars. Worked great at first, but once they lost their strength they no longer worked. I'll try something else next time, but the size was good.
Old May 08, 2012, 02:18 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,783 Posts
Looks good, K1w166. I wonder if a pull-pull set up would be worth the extra trouble? I'm not quite sure how the geometry works when there are bends in the linkages though. I guess if there were springs involved, it wouldn't matter so much if it wasn't precise, so long as they weren't pulling or pushing on the servo arm all the time.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old May 09, 2012, 11:14 AM
Vzzznnnn...
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Oct 2010
220 Posts
I have already order an Anderson M5 Cross (ARTR) and I'm at the waiting/reading status :-)
So I was wondering, where I can find the manual to take a look?
vegos is offline Find More Posts by vegos
Old May 09, 2012, 11:25 AM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,402 Posts
Try this, ignore the Duratrax logos, it's the same bike apart from the different motors and corresponding esc. http://manuals.hobbico.com/dtx/dtxd02-manual.pdf
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old May 09, 2012, 11:25 AM
Vzzznnnn...
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Oct 2010
220 Posts
Thanks!
Old May 17, 2012, 03:22 PM
Vzzznnnn...
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Oct 2010
220 Posts
Just finish my Anderson :-)

Painted (with spray for lexan), in orange colors.

And here are all the members of the family:

More photos here.

I bought it ARTR. I totally disassemble it, and start from scratch.
3930kV motor, 60A ESC, 2,4GHz TX.
BUT finish building late, so tomorrow -after work- will do the test drive
Last edited by vegos; May 17, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old May 18, 2012, 12:06 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,303 Posts
Beautiful! (All three bikes, for sure!)
I noticed your front wheel axle is in front of the forks... this may lead to slow steering response.
It's very easy to change it to back position anyway, so try it, and if youre not satisfied, turn it around. Just undo the bottom allen bolts and bolt each on the opposite fork leg...
Remember to loctite the wheel axle bolts! They are easy to undo!!!
steliosh is online now Find More Posts by steliosh
Old May 18, 2012, 12:58 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2012
6 Posts
Amen to the loctite! Had to make my own spacer when I lost the whole of one side...

Looking good Vegos, like it in the KTM colour! I reckon the Anderson looks heaps better without the dicky rider on board.
Old May 18, 2012, 03:11 AM
Joined Jan 2006
29 Posts
the bike of my friend Giulio

the bike of my friend
visit my forum http://arx.forumfree.it/

Gianni
Bikerc is offline Find More Posts by Bikerc
Old May 18, 2012, 06:12 AM
Vzzznnnn...
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Oct 2010
220 Posts
It's raining, I have a clear mind, I'm home, so it's time to add some touches to the Anderson.

My new wheelie mod (it's steering linkages from TT FM1e, I'll replace them with a bicycle spoke).

And on the bike:

I don't know how much will last, but it's better than nothing I guess...
Old May 18, 2012, 10:48 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,784 Posts
Does this mean we will start seeing videos of Vegos and Steliosh racing motocross???

Vegos, I did the same thing, except to hold mine down, I put screws going down those 2 holes and into the nylon. It holds up great on dirt, but if you pop a lot of wheelies onroad, you will want some kind of tiny wheel, bearing, or bushing that rolls.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old May 18, 2012, 11:01 AM
Vzzznnnn...
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Oct 2010
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
Does this mean we will start seeing videos of Vegos and Steliosh racing motocross???
Hehehehe... You'll never know... :-)
But first, I have to go out and drive it. The weather here is rainy since I built the Anderson.. lol...

Quote:
Vegos, I did the same thing, except to hold mine down, I put screws going down those 2 holes and into the nylon. It holds up great on dirt, but if you pop a lot of wheelies onroad, you will want some kind of tiny wheel, bearing, or bushing that rolls.
For the bearing, it's a nice idea! I open the holes exactly at the existing holes, for future use of screws, like your setup