HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2012, 04:27 PM
Sverige, Stockholms Län, Stockholm
Joined Jun 2011
118 Posts
Fixed 2w led lights for the nordic winter.
snesladd is offline Find More Posts by snesladd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:30 PM
Kungsangen, Stockholm, Sweden
Sweden, Upplands-Bro Municipality
Joined Dec 2011
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snesladd View Post
Fixed 2w led lights for the nordic winter.
Cool, will he get a red taillight too?.
But hey, there's something wrong with your camera!
The bitter cold, has turned the snow green in your pics.

This time last year was much tougher, That white stuff really messed up the traction. Picture shows me fighting the elements. Slicks was NOT the most effective tirechoice that day.
z_dad is offline Find More Posts by z_dad
Old Jan 03, 2012, 08:34 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,831 Posts
Well, I got my M5 today. The bike looks good but the rider is a total piece of junk. I hadn't noticed from the photos I've seen that the arms and legs are just the outsides, not complete limbs, and it's just a thin plastic shell.

Is it essential for the rider to be that light? The M5 racing bike that they'd sent by mistake had a proper rider, made out of a slightly rubbery feeling plastic, pre-painted. I wondered if Anderson make something like that for the M5 cross, as an optional extra, but I can't see one on their site, in fact I can't see any riders as spares.

I like drewpyfz6's action man. Would that work, or was it just for the photo? I'm not sure how it would stay on the bike.

How do you keep from losing those R clips that keep the battery box closed? Or do people replace them with something less fiddly?
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Jan 03, 2012, 08:41 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,831 Posts
Incidentally, my Supatoys bike that I thought was 1:5 scale, clearly isn't. It's quite a bit smaller than the M5, which is a shame because the rider is much nicer.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:33 AM
Kungsangen, Stockholm, Sweden
Sweden, Upplands-Bro Municipality
Joined Dec 2011
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
/..Is it essential for the rider to be that light? /
/..How do you keep from losing those R clips that keep the battery box closed? Or do people replace them with something less fiddly?/
/..Incidentally, my Supatoys bike that I thought was 1:5 scale, clearly isn't. It's quite a bit smaller than the M5,
Hi, hope you don't lose interest in the bike when it gives you small problems because it's really a well built thing that can take a lot of beating if you take care of it.

First question: The cross bikes are not as sensitive to CG as the SBK:s but the anderson driver needs to be totally glued together with Shoe goo, he really takes a lot of crash forces when tumbling and so protects the bike. Other riders can't really do that, no matter how pretty they look.
Second Q: I use only one clip. Eventually you find a way to do it. You can also use a scew to shut the lid, there are holes for screws just beside the clip posts.
Third Q: Don't use the anderson man to measure scale, he is clearly too big.
z_dad is offline Find More Posts by z_dad
Old Jan 03, 2012, 01:01 PM
hertfordshire UK
Joined Aug 2009
13 Posts
I think you will not worry too much about the rider when you drive, its great fun, just make sure you start of in a large space (ask me how i know) the brushless conversion is well worth it it handles the extra power really we.

Have fun with it......
s3davep is offline Find More Posts by s3davep
Old Jan 03, 2012, 01:45 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,831 Posts
I don't have any Shoe Goo but I do have Goop. I'll try that.

Did you have trouble with the nuts and washers on the top of the chest plate, and the front of the head? Those are not easy places to get to.

I measured the rider at about 13", allowing a bit for the boots and helmet, which is 65" scaled up, or 5'5". Action men are 12", so he'd only be 5' tall, but plenty of people are that height.

I'd expect someone to make 1:5 scale riders for model bikes, because it seems like a popular size. So far, I haven't found any though.

I'm surprised this one can take much punishment. It's flexible, but it looks like the plastic would crack fairly easily.

I see it's covered in a thin layer of clear film, which is peeling away near the edges, with holes a bit like sunburned skin. I guess it's meant to be left on but does it take the glue properly, or should I sand a bit away for the glue joint, and roughen the underside of the bit that overlaps?
Old Jan 03, 2012, 02:11 PM
hertfordshire UK
Joined Aug 2009
13 Posts
The protection film must be taken off before you put the decals on, its just overspay film and will look horid if you don't take it off.

the little nuts are a pain to fit, i think shoe goo is known as fender mender (lexan repair adhesive) in the UK available from some model shops, bit difficult to find, and the rider does take a beating, i run mine under my car and out the other side with on a couple scuff on his head, it thought for sure that it would be mashed.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 02:48 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
Is it essential for the rider to be that light? The M5 racing bike that they'd sent by mistake had a proper rider, made out of a slightly rubbery feeling plastic, pre-painted. I wondered if Anderson make something like that for the M5 cross, as an optional extra, but I can't see one on their site, in fact I can't see any riders as spares.
FYI - No, anderson doesnt make a foam rider for the m5 cross. However, I have seen pictures and videos from owners who put the HPI rider on the bike, as well as the newer ARX (kyosho atv) rider. It will be a big difference in how the COG will change going from a lexan rider to one of these options (COG will be higher up), but Ive not tried it yet so cant say how big of a change it will make. If your just bashing, it may not matter much.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:35 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3davep View Post
The protection film must be taken off before you put the decals on

the little nuts are a pain to fit, i think shoe goo is known as fender mender (lexan repair adhesive) in the UK
Thanks. Film coming off. I'm currently repairing a pair of Nike plastic sandals I use as slippers, with Woolworths Shoe Repair Adhesive, so I think I'll try that. It's a fairly old tube but it looks and smells okay. If it works on the sandals, I'll give it a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
I have seen pictures and videos from owners who put the HPI rider on the bike, as well as the newer ARX (kyosho atv) rider. It will be a big difference in how the COG will change going from a lexan rider to one of these options (COG will be higher up)
Good tip. Thanks. The HPI rider seems a bit easier to find in the UK, though I haven't found a shop saying it has it in stock yet.

The guys who mod their Silverlit bikes often add weight to the rider to get the bike to turn tighter so a bit more weight shouldn't hurt. I'll try it with the stock one first, of course, but I'll be looking out for a better one. I've seen more impressive looking things come out of a christmas cracker

I guess if all else fails, I could get some action man clothes and make one with pipe cleaners and rolled up foam sheet.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 07:52 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,831 Posts
I finished assembling my motocross creature. Do you have to enlarge the holes in the hands to get them on the bars?

I can't see any other way of doing it. The plastic doesn't flex enough to force it over the bar ends and I'm worried I'll break something if I keep trying.

I lost the tube of glue after fixing the side pieces together so I haven't used any on the front plate yet. I'm not sure how well it held anyway. I assembled it with cocktail sticks in the holes and replaced them with bolts one at a time, after taking the front plate off so I could get to the ones on the back.

I found one of the bits that holds the crash bars was only finger tight so I started checking all the screws. Quite a few of them unscrewed without any effort so I guess I should take all those out and threadlock them. Maybe I should do every single screw?
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:51 AM
hertfordshire UK
Joined Aug 2009
13 Posts
Yes you will have to open out the holes in the arms a little, and all the screws need removing , de-greasing and re-loctiting with blue loctite, expecially the axle screws as thay need checking often, i lost one of the rear ones and the spacer piece.

While you at it take the rear tyre off and clean the grease out of the tyre and off the rim or it will slip.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:48 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,831 Posts
Thanks, s3davep. I hadn't considered de-greasing. What do you use for that? I have some 99% pure isopropanol. Would that do it?
Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:50 PM
hertfordshire UK
Joined Aug 2009
13 Posts
Yup IPA is perfect, does not damage anything, smells good too!
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:17 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,871 Posts
You have to use the metal wheel spacers or your bolts will keep falling out.
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco