HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2011, 03:25 AM
hertfordshire UK
Joined Aug 2009
13 Posts
Please can someone suggest a good brushless combo, i saw the castle mamba max with 5700 motor but its expensive, does anyone have experience with the Mtronics ride g2 with a suitable motor?
s3davep is offline Find More Posts by s3davep
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2011, 01:06 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidoracer View Post
Even if it is a 27MHz radio, the bike does take all standard-sized gear, so you can replace it with stuff you might already have or better. Standard size servo, 540 motor, 1:10-size ESC, any size Rx...
Good to know. Thanks. I have a spare 40MHz receiver and micro antenna so I could put it on one of my stick radios - or I could use a FrSky 2.4GHz Rx with the Futaba FF6 and FrSky module I use for a couple of my planes.

Dave,

Have you looked at the inrunners on GiantCod? There's a big variety of them, and they're mostly quite cheap. Anything the right length, or a bit shorter, should do. Brushless motors are so much more efficient, it doesn't have to be anything like the same size. The problem is picking one with about the right Kv, I guess:

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/inrunner-b...ucts_price+ASC

I think I put a Black Mantis 2030 (4000Kv or so) in my Supatoys 1:5 scale bike, because it was just a bit shorter than the little motor that was in there, and quite a bit narrower. You'll want something a bit bigger for the M5 though.

I wasn't looking for a lot of power in the Supatoys bike, I just wanted it faster than stock because I couldn't get it to stay upright. Aligning the pinion with the first spur gear was the hard part - you can't see it on that bike, you just have to guess. I think I nearly had it right. I'm sure the motor was fine, I just didn't quite sort out the engineering. It took me a good half hour to strip it down each time I wanted to adjust something and I just lost patience in the end. Also, I was trying to use a smallish 3s lipo instead of the 5 cell NiCd brick battery, so the CG was probably too high for stability.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Dec 27, 2011, 05:10 PM
hertfordshire UK
Joined Aug 2009
13 Posts
Thanks for that, i think the EZ run combo 5.5t might fit the bill, not bad price at 61 either, i'll do a bit of research on the net about them.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:31 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,735 Posts
You're welcome, s3davep. Maybe I'll upgrade mine eventually too.

I hadn't realised they had so many specifically 540 sized motors:

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/advanced_s...ame+ASC&max=50

- ignore the Black Mantis BM2445 3650kv, that one's not relevant but all the ones with 3650 or 36-50 in the main part of the name are likely to fit.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:17 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,262 Posts
You certainly dont need huge power and low turns to make the bike fast:
Even with a 4300kv Ezrun it will pull wheelies all day long on 4000/30C 2S lipos!
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Dec 28, 2011, 03:37 AM
hertfordshire UK
Joined Aug 2009
13 Posts
Thanks for the info, but the next one down on giant cod is 4000kv and for some reason is 10 more expensive with a lower rated esc, i would have thought that all would be the same price or cheaper?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 04:54 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,735 Posts
s3davep,

I think steliosh is talking about the motor that comes with the B2 EZRun combo:

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/ezrun-brus...-p-406411.html

Incidentally, the B1 combo is dearer at the moment. I asked them about that yesterday. I'm fairly sure it's just a mistake on the pricing.

There are two types of 540 sized EZRun combo, with just a different Kv motor for B1, B2 and B3 (380 core in a 540 can), but a bigger ESC and more powerful type of motor (full brushless 540) for the B4 and B5. It looks like someone accidentally listed the B1 with the B5 price - in fact, if you bought the three parts of the combo on their own, they'd be cheaper than the combo price for that one. I expect they'll fix it soon.

I'm not really sure why the B5 is dearer than the B4, because the motors in those combos cost the same, and are the same spec, but with just a
different number of turns:

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/advanced_s...ice+ASC&max=50

I'm no expert on bikes, but I expect steliosh is right about the amount of power needed. The 6000Kv motor might be so fast is strips the gearbox, even on a 2s lipo. They don't give current ratings for the motors but if you actually got anywhere close to the 60A continuous the ESC is rated for, even on a 2s lipo, at say 7V, that's 420W. One horse power is 746W, so that seems a bit excessive for such a small bike. I'm sure someone has tried it though
Old Dec 28, 2011, 07:16 PM
Editor, RCCA
Chatsworth, CA
Joined Nov 2004
3,151 Posts
The Castle 5700Kv motor works great in the bike -- plenty of torque and it really scoots.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:10 AM
hertfordshire UK
Joined Aug 2009
13 Posts
Thanks for the replies, i have just had the ezrun B4 5.5t combo drop through the door, so i will fit it and test but its raining today so no testing today. I see that there are some guys running 7700kv motors, but i take your point that 6000Kv may be a bit 'interesting' but i can throttle it back on the tranmitter to say 80% atv.
I spoke the Formby models about the 6000kv motor and they suggected the only things that go with large power motor is the one way in the gyro and rear axle shaft, also recommended the metal main gear option.

Its interesting that those items are out of stock.....
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:26 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,735 Posts
I'm sure you'll have fun with it. Maybe you can set up soft start on your ESC? I'd try applying the throttle slowly and smoothly too. Gear stripping is mostly from sudden changes in motor rpm, rather than the actual speed they're spinning at.

I checked my notes and the motor I put in my Supatoys 1:5 bike was only 3000Kv (B2030). I suspect that made it slightly slower than stock, which wasn't my intention, but it was a little faster on a 2s lipo than the stock motor was on the original 5 cell NiCd. I tried it with 3s to compensate (because the whole idea was to get a bit more speed so it had the momentum to actually work properly) and I suspected I'd stripped gears, but possibly the pinion just went out of alignment and took the edge off the first spur rather than completely destroying it. I've been meaning to take it apart to check but I sort of got fed up of doing that.

That bike seems to be loosely based on the Ricky Carmichael bikes. I've no idea how much it has in common with the M5, of course. It's likely the gearing is completely different. I know the gyro is made with plastic gears because I had it apart to unstick it.

I had a gear stripping problem with a Cybird ornithopter I converted to brushless. Those things are hard to get into the air sometimes, and as it was diving for the ground I instinctively gave it full throttle, in one quick movement. The brass pinion I'd used just stripped all the teeth off the first plastic spur and left it completely smooth. Needless to say, the bird didn't get into the air. If I'd ramped it up slowly, like I did when I was testing it, it might well have worked.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:29 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,735 Posts
Actually, I was wrong. It wasn't the first spur that stripped on the Cybird gearbox, it was the small pinion sized gear that's moulded onto it, on the same shaft, that drives the second spur.

I almost had my M5 today - I received a parcel, but they sent the M5 racing bike instead. It looks nice, but it's not what I wanted so I now have to sort out getting the right one, which may well be out of stock at the moment, returning this one and waiting in again for a courier, which is absolutely my least favourite part of the model buying process.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:24 AM
hertfordshire UK
Joined Aug 2009
13 Posts
Ok fitted the esc and motor, it was a tight fit (motor), i have had the wattmeter on it and the reading are as below, its only Peak load spinning up the gyro and wheel so its not a good indication of loads during driving, but it amazed me how high it was.

Wattmeter pics attached, i have a steel spur gear but not fitted yet so i will see how it gets on, spool up is lightning fast!! and yes i can set the esc how agressive the power comes on, its at default at the moment (7/10) the combo comes with the program card so i'll have a play when its not raining.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:31 AM
hertfordshire UK
Joined Aug 2009
13 Posts
Just to add the M5 is really easy to work on and has no real gearbox to speak of, just spur gear laysaft and chain drive, the only gear parts are in the gyro.
I think the 8.5T combo may be the one to have...... but testing will prove it, the 8.5T motor is 29, so its not too much outlay to try, not like a castle motor.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:37 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,735 Posts
Wow. That's quite an impressive battery you've got there too. 120A is a lot of amps. So, you've got the power of a horse that's been taking steroids, on a three or four pound motorbike That should be interesting.

I agree, it's not a big outlay to try different motors. I've done the same with planes, and have ended up with boxes of spare motors. I'll never live to use them all but I don't regret the expense. Some of them will get used, the rest are there if I ever need them.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:25 PM
hertfordshire UK
Joined Aug 2009
13 Posts
Ran the M5 today...... wow!!! this thing can really shift, its go so much torque..... power wheelies are easy, very smooth throttle action and it no harder to drive that standard.

The top speed is very quick, i've not been able the really nail against the throttle stop yet, but it looks 50mph ish, the esc and motor are not hot after 10 or so minutes, i guess this is due to the fact thats on low throttle most of the time.

Brakes are excellent too. easy to get the rear sliding and drift it into corners, still on the plastic gear...no problems yet, only lost a bolt/spacer from the rear wheel that stopped play.

I think the motor is perfect for it, amazing for the price for sure