SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:15 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jun 2006
290 Posts
So who can spot the unique mod on this bike? Hint: my drill press was bored.

-rskip
rskip is online now Find More Posts by rskip
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:32 AM
Bushy
Australia, NSW, Temora
Joined Sep 2008
208 Posts
Uncle! I give up!
Tech Head is offline Find More Posts by Tech Head
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:03 AM
Joined Jun 2006
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Head View Post
Uncle! I give up!
I extended the chassis about 1/4". I liked the handling of having the front wheel axis behind the steering center-line but didn't like bumping the wheel on the battery case.

-rskip
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:37 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,284 Posts
so... give us the naked truth, then?!
HOW?!!
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:01 PM
Joined Jun 2006
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steliosh View Post
so... give us the naked truth, then?!
HOW?!!
More pics coming later when I get home from work. I test drove it last night in my small yard and it seemed a bit less nervous and more predictable than having the axle in front. I still need to do a few jumps with it to make sure nothing will break
Old Jan 30, 2011, 08:05 PM
Joined Jun 2006
290 Posts
Sorry for the bad pics. I had to drill 2 holes on the servo mounting plates (each) and one additional one on the outer plates. The only tricky parts was making sure the servo would clear the standoffs - I had to shave the back standoffs and making sure the fork angle stays the same. I'm also worried about the top mounting point on the outer plate being weak, but so far its ok.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:23 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,284 Posts
Last week I rebuilt the rear wheel, complete with new wheel halves, new triangle, new one-way-bearing, new axle. I ran the bike for a battery, mostly on asphalt, at our local rc car track and then parked it on its shelf...

This morning we had a Trail Ride (for real bikes!) and I took the M5 wth me, to have some fun before the ride started...
However, I realized the right bolt on the rear wheel axle was loose. I tightened, ran the bike for 2 minutes, then it stopped... I reached close to it, and saw the chain wrapped around the rear wheel. On closer inspection the right bolt of the rear axle was missing and so was the spacer that goes between the swingarm and the axle bearing. I found a similar spacer from a TT FM1e and mounted it, bolted a new bolt on, and the gyro would not spin, when I was giving it throttle in the air.
I loosened the right bolt a turn or two and the gyro worked! But... still in the air, the bolt came completely loose!!!!!
so... I didn't run the M5 and was puzzled a bit...
I recall that I have omitted an e-clip (see previous page, post 528), that would not fit... But it was like that, before, as well...

Any ideas fellows>?!!!!
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:11 AM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,819 Posts
steliosh
Sounds like you have lost the stepped washer that goes between the wheel and swinging arm chain tensioner spacer in the swinging arm, have a look at the other side and you will see what I mean mine used to fall out all the time so used a little locktite, fine now.
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:28 AM
Michigan, Tri City area
Joined Jun 2006
677 Posts
thats possible Steve. that washer keeps the swingarm from rubbing on the axlebearing, so when Stel tightens the axle bolt, it pushes the swing arm into the bearing, locking the axle up.

i say get into the gyro area, be sure your inner bearings are fully seated. if say the bearing in the gyro itself, isnt fully seated into the race on the gyro, then it will shift things a bit as far as the gyro goes. also, with regards to what you noted on the e clip issue, if the bearing isnt fully seated, then the pieces on the axle wont be in the correct position. this could leave the eclip recess a bit underexposed, or not exposed at all, which means you cant get the eclip on.
Timmahh is offline Find More Posts by Timmahh
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:48 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,284 Posts
I indeed lost one of these...
Though, as I said, at first the right bolt was unbolting itself... until today it got completely out.
And then without me knowing the stepper washer (I described it as a spacer between axle bearing and swingarm) was gone too.
(It's the part DTXC4422 or M59387 in Anderson parts)
So I used a TT Fm1e spacer from its rear axle (single sided swingarm, in P/N PD6290) that "I thought" it is right... But obviously it is not!
So... I guess I will have to find an original stepped washer, and loctite the rear axle bolts...

Edit: The TT FM1e part is completely similar to the DTX/Anderson one with a difference: It will not get INSIDE the bearing!
So, an order is due!
Tim, I will open the rear wheel again and double check that everything is seated correctly...
I run it without any weights and no securing ring around the weights.
Last edited by steliosh; Feb 13, 2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:16 PM
Michigan, Tri City area
Joined Jun 2006
677 Posts
i would say you need the DTX spacer, the anderson one, is allowing the bolt to be overtightened is my guess. which is dragging, locking the axle is what i think is going on.

as far as abit of side play on the gyro, mine did seem to be a bit more snug than yours, but not much more i think. I havent had it apart in a while (DX450) but a bit of slop there is required so the gyro can spin freely without much if any resistance, and yes, the oneway bearing, is all the gyro would be using with the axle (acually used to pull the axle upon acceleratoin from the action of the OWB).
Timmahh is offline Find More Posts by Timmahh
Old Feb 14, 2011, 04:12 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,819 Posts
steliosh
Run it as per instructions, a little side play does no harm I made alloy chain tensioners as I think that when the gyro gets warm the plastic ones go soft and let the bolts go lose and fall out ! It happend over and over again till I made the alloy tensioners, I run 7700 Kv through it and never stripped the gears, only killed one one way bearing and that was because the wheel shaft is soft and wore out, I made a hardend one, had the bike nearly 2 years now. It may have no foams in the tires but it just takes what ever you can throw at it and comes back for more, to me the best off road bike for the money out there
Old Feb 16, 2011, 04:45 PM
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,819 Posts
This is all you you need for trouble free running
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:04 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,284 Posts
Well... I also might need to invest in an aluminum swingarm as well!
This morning I went to my local hardware store, spacer in hand, trying to explain to bemused people there what it was for (What?! An rc bike? That wheelies? And goes offroad? Are you kidding me? ) and I found a grease nipple that with a 5-minute dremelling was made similar to the spacer I had! So... presto... a running bike again!!!
I also installed new bolts and fattish aluminum spacers on the rear wheel axle (thanks to my HPI Baja bolts inventory!!!) and all seems tight and nice, after a small drop of loctite on the bolts!
I managed to run the bike one full 3200-20C battery and nothing was loosened! So... I am in a good road, I guess!!!