HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:19 AM
Joined Apr 2009
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDave View Post
Earljun, where can with order these stablizers?
Thanks, Dave
Hi, Dave

It's a new release. Where do you located? I suggest that you can enquire your local RC dealer or distributor about it.
earljun is offline Find More Posts by earljun
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2010, 07:09 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdarace View Post
I just discovered that a stock dx 450 knobby with the knobs shaved off will slip on a new dx 450 knobby with a little stretching. It actually looks like it is a stock tire if everything is lined up around the complete circumference evenly. It is a tight fit but will tend to slide one direction after a hard run. So the fix For this is a few dabs of cy or superglue evenly spaced around both sides of the tire at the edge of the tire on the sidewall. Put those old worn out knobbies to use and believe me the bike handles very well and no more cracked wheel hubs when you jump off curbs or ramps. It' s almost like a pneumatic tire that bounces when you drop it from 8'' to 10'' on a hard surface. You dont get that clunk sound anymore. Let me know if you try this and like it.
So, to get this straight, you are putting a used tire OVER a new one, or vice-versa?
I think it would be easier and more useful to put a new tire over a worn one, right?
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:51 AM
Joined Aug 2009
33 Posts
motard bike or dirt bike?

That is the question, we did not see the need to put a knobby over a slick because in the dirt the knobby is fine . However I may still try it. The problem is I cracked a wheel half running on the asphalt and it interfered with my giro. The extra rubber underneath the street tire will allow some minimal jumping and good traction without sacrificing a $16.00 tire and $12.50 wheel half in fact you can run it over and over again and take it back off if you want to hit the dirt again. I have 4 bikes and plan to keep two set up for dirt and two set up for motard. I want to limit the shock and fork travel to lower the bikes cog on the motard bikes and do anything else to help the handling if anyone has done this successfully and posted thier mods please direct me to that site Thanks.
rcdarace is offline Find More Posts by rcdarace
Old Nov 29, 2010, 11:01 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,758 Posts
Wouldnt a foam insert into your motard tire fix all this tire over tire stuff?
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Dec 01, 2010, 12:15 AM
Joined Aug 2009
33 Posts
Where do I get these foam inserts? I have stretched the stock tires on and off enough to know the foam insert would have to be very sturdy not to be destroyed by the time you are done pulling the stock tire over it. If I were to have to make my own foam insert, it would involve a lot of time searching for the right material. If it was very thick it would not allow the tire to fit in its grove on the side of the wheel. Good thought though, but I am sure if you investigate you will find it is not possible. My idea cost me nothing but an old worn out knobby which I have plenty of, because a new one does not last but a couple of hard runs on the pavement or asphalt. I have non gyro street bikes with foam filled tires and they are great. These bikes require more driving skill and my 8yr old son prefers to drive the DX450's it was costing me a small fortune in tires and I have greatly reduced that expense.
rcdarace is offline Find More Posts by rcdarace
Old Dec 05, 2010, 06:21 PM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,284 Posts
I recently got an M5 used from Macca, the British RC Bike Champ!
The bike came in pristine condition and with a few and crtical mods: A steering stabilizer, Anderson Gold oil-filled forks, a 4300kv motor and a Genride ESC.
This morning I had the chance to really put the bike through its paces: I installed my HPI AM 2-channel pistol radio, robbed from my RTR e-Firestorm and gave it a good bash!
The batteries I ran were 3200/20C oval-shaped hard cases and lasted each about 10-12minutes, not that I was counting, anyway!
So, between the heats of our RCGT TC races, I asked the track officials if I could use the track. They were curious of what this bike could do, and so was I!
We were ALL amazed at the ease of wheelying and doing the WHOLE straight of the track on the rear wheel and the taildragger... All that time I was holding the Tx in my left hand, way up in the air... and I practically could wheely the bike single-handed!
Then I tried to follow the cars in the track layout, but I found it was easy to... shortcut through the grass infield, doing wheelies at the same time!
I can tell you... total amazement!
Oh... the rear tire was almost slick, so I just wrapped it with a used 1/8 buggy Proline tire which would flop over the bike tire around top speed, so I kept it before this happened. Otherwise it gave the bike enormous traction to do silly things!
Everyone enjoyed it and laughed and ASKED about it! And that was the point, really, right?!
To make the car guys get interested in bikes!
So... I hope there are some videos or pics of these stunts, because they REALLY were impressive, and it doesnt have anything to do with MY skills! It was the bike!
I have already started asking about it at my local forums, and see what will come in the next couple of days... I LOVE it!!!!!!!
Old Jan 05, 2011, 12:42 AM
Joined Sep 2006
404 Posts
Had ran the bike on grass and loose dirt and all was a blast!! On grass I could wheelie any time and on loose dirt I still can drive easily an more fun than on grass, but anyway I got lot of head shake when I put throttle, about 50% and up. I'm thinking about putting a 1/18 shock as a steering damper like you guys use it. But I only saw vendetta's shock here. Has anyone tried vendetta's shock? What did you use, front shock or rear shock?
And I want to replace my esc with CC MMP but I don't have enough clearance on the fan for suck up the air, again, anyone have used MMP? and where did you put in?
deeh_46 is offline Find More Posts by deeh_46
Old Jan 05, 2011, 01:31 AM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,168 Posts
Yes, my fan is mounted right against the batt box, but I drilled a few holes there to vent to. Plus, I don't use the "radiator" shroud, so there is lots of airflow, so the fan very rarely, if ever, turns on.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:07 AM
Joined Sep 2006
404 Posts
Thanks that helps me out. Made my mod on batt box and have a great result. Got clearance about 2mm or 3mm but without velcro.
Then when I finished to put the esc I don't know how to turn on the fan without running it to test it. But because before that I forgot to set up MMP to brushless mode this made the esc hot when I gave a throttle and the fan turned on..lol
anyway why your batt box different with mine?
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:16 AM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,168 Posts
Interesting -- mine is a Duratrax. Is yours an Anderson or Duratrax branded one?

The MMP fan only turns on when the ESC hits a certain temp.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:24 AM
Joined Sep 2006
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidoracer View Post
Interesting -- mine is a Duratrax. Is yours an Anderson or Duratrax branded one?

The MMP fan only turns on when the ESC hits a certain temp.
Ohh..I see, mine is Anderson.
Do you know what temp MMP will use the fan? and how about damper on the steering, what did you use?
Old Jan 07, 2011, 12:36 AM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,168 Posts
Not sure what temp the fan comes on at. On the Mamba Monster Max, it comes on at 150F -- wouldn't be surprised if it is the same for the MMP.

I'm using an old Losi 1:10 buggy shock as my steering damper and harder springs from the hardware store on the steering rod. I think I mixed a buggy rear shock with a truck rear shaft. I don't remember what oil I'm using or which piston. I'll try to look it up tomorrow.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 04:27 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,284 Posts
a small problem here!
A few days ago, while running the M5, it started behaving wierdly... Holding it in the air, pushing the throttle, the gyro was not spinning. Fine... a new OWB later (tower had them, so I ordered 3, as well a new rear wheel axle and the rear wheel shells).
I reintstalled everything together, but... there's an e-clip that won't fit anywhere decently! I recall when I dismantled the rear wheel, there was only one e-clip, the one found in the 1st page of the manual, step 3 (fitting the clutch).

So, I tried to install the other e-clip, in the order shown in the pic below, practically between the two large ball bearings that go on the gyro, but in the end I left it out, since the gyro would not seat itself deep enough. Also, even mounted this way, and closing the wheel shells, the gyro would be heard moving around. Without the e-clip, the gyro stays in place, does not rub anywhere and it's supposedly doing its job! I have not ran it yet, not even in the air.

Another completely newbie question: Does the OWB need oiling? I dropped a couple of LRP bearing oil drops on it before installing. It seemed logical to me that any bearing needs some sort of oiling...

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Last edited by steliosh; Jan 13, 2011 at 04:28 AM. Reason: spelling...
Old Jan 25, 2011, 02:41 AM
Bushy
Australia, NSW, Temora
Joined Sep 2008
208 Posts
I just got a M5 a week ago for free and have been looking over the various threads regarding this bike. I have done all the mods shown even though it has never been run. lol Typical RC nut!

One thing that struck me was the fact that "Glow in the dark bracelets are the same size as the plastic stays on the sides of the bike" I imagine putting these in place of the old ones will give a new perspective on night MX rides.

I know this is an old thread, but perhaps it needs re-opening! After all, I have one now.

Any Thoughts?
Tech Head is offline Find More Posts by Tech Head
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:27 AM
Michigan, Tri City area
Joined Jun 2006
677 Posts
maybe if you wrap them around the stock skid bars. you need some TOUGH and Stiff, yet flexible bars. i doubt those bracelet thingys would be strong enough on their own, but if you can get one around the skid bars, it shoud bring a little direction to night running. I took a HPI Baja 5B light pod, filled it with lights, and plug it into chnl 3 on the rx, lights up GREAT.
Timmahh is offline Find More Posts by Timmahh