HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 03, 2009, 07:10 AM
Old enough to know better
drewpyfz6's Avatar
North West, UK
Joined Sep 2007
448 Posts
The test rider is an Action Man I got off ebay for about 1.50 some time ago - he was going to ride the TTE, but better suits the M5...

Sent you a PM regarding the wheelie bar.

Waiting for Formby to get the forks back in stock, so can get the swing arm too. You think the steel gyro gears are needed?

Thanks for the heads up on the rear wheel bolts coming loose.
Will make sure I check everything when I get out to test it.

Cheers,
Drew
drewpyfz6 is offline Find More Posts by drewpyfz6
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2009, 02:08 PM
Registered User
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,818 Posts
Ran another 4sets of cells through the bike today, stuck a gps to his back and got a top speed of 30.8 mph till the front tire came off, will glue it on and try again, sure we are on for 40mph think the big factor in getting the top speed will be trying to keep the rear tire on as well as I can see that getting well out of shape at 30mph ! still great fun though, running without crash bars now, you want to see the lean angle and drifting without the bars !! gyro still holding up (can you believe it ?) nothing broke or came loose, only issue I have is the front tire is hitting the battery wires when the forks compress making it lock up and doing head over heals, will flip the fork bottoms over to move it away and add some spring spacers, but what a bike Anderson has made !! just love the way you can just trickle it along then give it a stab of power front wheel is up and it just wheel spins away, fantastic !!
Ps scale speed at 30mph is 150mph
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2009, 08:49 PM
Registered User
Singapore
Joined May 2009
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve bisco
Ran another 4sets of cells through the bike today, stuck a gps to his back and got a top speed of 30.8 mph till the front tire came off, will glue it on and try again, sure we are on for 40mph think the big factor in getting the top speed will be trying to keep the rear tire on as well as I can see that getting well out of shape at 30mph ! still great fun though, running without crash bars now, you want to see the lean angle and drifting without the bars !! gyro still holding up (can you believe it ?) nothing broke or came loose, only issue I have is the front tire is hitting the battery wires when the forks compress making it lock up and doing head over heals, will flip the fork bottoms over to move it away and add some spring spacers, but what a bike Anderson has made !! just love the way you can just trickle it along then give it a stab of power front wheel is up and it just wheel spins away, fantastic !!
Ps scale speed at 30mph is 150mph

Steve, I can see that you are having a fun time with the M5, I just got mine from Formby and is now waiting for the hopup parts to arrive. Are you using the 5T brushless?

Good of you to update us on the thing that you had done with the M5, I truely believe it is better than the ARX which I have. In term of size and the standard Lipo pack from the market. I have tried it with the standard motor, it is steel fun except for the gyro it is screaming away. Is this normal?

I was thinking of glueing the tire to the rims, at high speed the tire seem to blog. But than how to renew the back tire when it wareout. Any advise here?
AlbertChia is offline Find More Posts by AlbertChia
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2009, 11:03 PM
Editor, RCCA
Guidoracer's Avatar
Joined Nov 2004
3,168 Posts
Eddie and I tacked the rear tire on 5 or 6 spots around where the tire meets the wheel on each side with Shoe Goo, so it's easy to remove when needed, and stays put when running.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2009, 03:53 AM
Registered User
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertChia
Steve, I can see that you are having a fun time with the M5, I just got mine from Formby and is now waiting for the hopup parts to arrive. Are you using the 5T brushless?

Good of you to update us on the thing that you had done with the M5, I truely believe it is better than the ARX which I have. In term of size and the standard Lipo pack from the market. I have tried it with the standard motor, it is steel fun except for the gyro it is screaming away. Is this normal?

I was thinking of glueing the tire to the rims, at high speed the tire seem to blog. But than how to renew the back tire when it wareout. Any advise here?

I am running the 5700kv Hpi motor, if you think the gyro is screaming away now wait till you go brushless but no problems yet, as to the tire I suppose you could just tack it on, they tend to lose all the tread then go out of balance and flap about, got a new one to go on but no hurry
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2009, 08:03 AM
Old enough to know better
drewpyfz6's Avatar
North West, UK
Joined Sep 2007
448 Posts
Managed to get a first run with the M5 this afternoon.
Only in the garden, but was very impressive in a confined area.

Once the gyro was up to speed, it was so good, and drove really slow.
Turned tight, and self righted.

The only thing is, the gyro slowed down pretty quickly, only going slow, was soon relying on the crash bars.
But, was very good.

Checked all the wheel bolts before and after...

Happy person, cant wait to let it loose in a bigger area.
drewpyfz6 is offline Find More Posts by drewpyfz6
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2009, 08:23 AM
Registered User
harvey-boy's Avatar
Aldershot, UK
Joined Dec 2005
122 Posts
I think the gyro 'frees up' more when you've run it for a bit (and greased it). Mine definately runs-on longer now after I've spun it up. Puzzled a few of the car marshalls at Aldershot yesterday when they picked it up and rear end was gyrating around

Andy
harvey-boy is offline Find More Posts by harvey-boy
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2009, 08:46 AM
dammachines
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2004
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpyfz6
The only thing is, the gyro slowed down pretty quickly, only going slow, was soon relying on the crash bars.
Hmmm... time for an electric gyro perhaps?
dmincin is online now Find More Posts by dmincin
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2009, 12:22 PM
Old enough to know better
drewpyfz6's Avatar
North West, UK
Joined Sep 2007
448 Posts
May have a look at greasing the gyro (thanks for the suggestion Andy). And see how it goes when run in a bit more.
Going to a local off-road area at the weekend, and should be able to let it loose properly.
Mostly hard packed shale, just need to watch for large pebble type stones etc.

Just compared the AR rear wheel with the M5 one, and they are a good 1/2 inch different in diameter.
drewpyfz6 is offline Find More Posts by drewpyfz6
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2009, 12:50 AM
Editor, RCCA
Guidoracer's Avatar
Joined Nov 2004
3,168 Posts
Eddie's Bike

Here's a pic of Eddie's bike. He's calling it "Johnny Gyro". Pretty sure it has all the important hop-ups on it, including the Al front forks, Al swingarm, a Traxxas GTR shock, a steel spur gear (if running on dirt and jumping, don't bother with the plastic spurs -- we snapped a pair of them right in half!!!), and Al headset. Oh yeah, and a Castle Mamba Max 5700kV setup.

The best part: it works on a dirt track!!! I'll have some video footage and some pics of the hop-ups he is making under the Dark Metal Racing name soon.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2009, 01:40 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2009
12 Posts
Hi! anderson m5 electric stock and NiMh7.2V 4500mah can Wheelie?

Sory For my English!!!!
beerkung is offline Find More Posts by beerkung
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2009, 06:27 AM
Registered User
Singapore
Joined May 2009
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerkung
Hi! anderson m5 electric stock and NiMh7.2V 4500mah can Wheelie?

Sory For my English!!!!
Just give it plenty of c's, but prepare to replace the body as I have rip mine off.
AlbertChia is offline Find More Posts by AlbertChia
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2009, 06:56 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2006
572 Posts
Quote:
some pics of the hop-ups he is making under the Dark Metal Racing name soon.
Let us hkow when website will be up! im curious to see how much it will be cost the hopup....
yourtheman is offline Find More Posts by yourtheman
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2009, 07:19 PM
Registered User
UK
Joined Oct 2008
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenny
[QUOTE=t-maxed]Thought id let you all know what ive done to mine so far. Start at front and work my way back.
Front wheel spacers are now alloy and correct size to eliminate the sloppy play, helps to calm down the headshake.
5000 wt oil smeared on piston and fork tubes for some damping of sorts. also tighten everything up as were quite loose. Also cut 5mm off each plastic spacer to give a little more travel.
Shimmed up the headstock so there is no up or down play, this also helps with headshake.
Silicon tubing over the crashback spring and tighten bolts a little more on upper frame.

Rear wheel shimmed correctly in the gyro


what size are the spacers in the steering pivot that you used and were did you put them in the gyro

spence


Hi I want to put some spacers in mine did you get any info


hi no never got a reply must be a secret
spenny is offline Find More Posts by spenny
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2009, 07:31 PM
Registered User
canvey island
Joined Jul 2002
1,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourtheman
Let us hkow when website will be up! im curious to see how much it will be cost the hopup....
All you need is alloy forks and swinging arm, home made steering damper, and of course my wheelie bar !! job done
steve bisco is offline Find More Posts by steve bisco
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools