HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by skywarp1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 22, 2009, 01:02 AM
Long live the Nuge!!!
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,468 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone Warbird Arena

So far I have not found a thread dedicated to all things Parkzone warbird so let's start one shall we? Any Parkzone warbird, any mods, any paint, anything can go here, just let's all try to stay civil ok? I'll kick this off with some photos of my post maintenance flight. My poor FW-190 and pilot Hans have been through many scrapes. His latest even back in Feb. was failure to evade a large oak tree. After months of down time and repairs to his trusty 190 "Der Adler" he has once again taken to the skies...
skywarp1 is offline Find More Posts by skywarp1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2009, 08:14 AM
wormburner
Minneapolis
Joined May 2009
811 Posts
cool, 10 post in and theres a parkzone thread. sorry if already posted, but most of the threads i found about the PZ F4U, what few i could find, were great but not what i was looking for.

figured id try rc planes so i just picked up a PZ F4U a couple days ago. nice plane. just took it out this morning for its first flight and it seems to fly pretty well, but ive only flown a PZ spitfire for a couple minutes for comparison, so i really dont know. it was bucking up and down, but i attribute that to my ham fists and the fact that i set the elevator for max throw on the servo lever, which in hindsite, was a mistake.

i dont know if im doing something wrong, but it seems to roll like a pregnant bison, even with the control limiter on A. i had to use the rudder and ailerons to get her to turn over and i figured ailerons alone should do it. whatever the case may be, im hooked. hit a bit of rough trying to take off and the landing gear folded, so its now a belly lander :/ rcpowers guy said most gear craps out eventually, so whats the best method for aftermarket gear that will last?

ive been scrounging the intertron, especially these forums, for a couple days trying to absorb as much as i can and i cant find the wing area anywhere. does the gullwing throw off the wing loading numbers up or down, compared to a straight wing?

apparently the motor trick is the eflite 480, or power 10/15/25/. it had enough power for me right now, but since im a geek, id like to start modding it already (1 flight). think an Elite 10 with an 11x5 would keep the speed low, but give it plenty of bailout power? i dont want to upsize and get faster, i just want emergency power. figure ill do it after the eventual first auger...maybe

blah, blah, blah... charging a couple lipos and waiting to get back out for flight #2. this is too much fun.

thanks
grimace308 is offline Find More Posts by grimace308
Last edited by grimace308; May 31, 2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old May 31, 2009, 01:51 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,518 Posts
Grimace your pic is too big. Warp I have the FW but I had nothing but trouble from it. It still looks like yours now but it is reworked with new guts entirely and w/ a 480 motor it now flies like a warbird instead of a garbage truck. My nephew has the Spit and it flies great. I think the FW w/ that blunt nose is just too big and un-aerodynamic for the stock brushed power. I'll post a pic when I get my desktop back from the shop. I'll try to pit a flight vid up as well. Glad yours is back in action.

Regards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old May 31, 2009, 01:54 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,518 Posts
Grimace what size prop is on the Corsair now? Does'nt that thing come w/ a 3 blader stock?

Regards,
Alan
Old May 31, 2009, 02:22 PM
Joined Jun 2006
20 Posts
Here we go with my yellow 3 from the JG. I
yan.kun is offline Find More Posts by yan.kun
Old May 31, 2009, 03:23 PM
wormburner
Minneapolis
Joined May 2009
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe
Grimace what size prop is on the Corsair now? Does'nt that thing come w/ a 3 blader stock?

Regards,
Alan
Quote:
Propeller F4U: T-28 "9.5 x 7.5"
either a 2 or 3 blade. 2 for performance and 3 for looks. you know you tired when youve been waiting 2 hours for a battery to charge, then realize you never hit the charge button on your lipo charger. up all night waiting to fly in the early morning clam.
grimace308 is offline Find More Posts by grimace308
Old May 31, 2009, 03:50 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,468 Posts
I need to get off my butt and get my 190 modded to brushless and repainted.
skywarp1 is offline Find More Posts by skywarp1
Old May 31, 2009, 05:33 PM
I need a bigger Hanger!
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
772 Posts
Here is my ME-109. In the pics it has the stock brushed setup in it. I only flew once and it was way under powered. I have switched it to a brushless Ultrafly gear box setup. I have not had a chance to give it a try yet with the new power setup in it but I hope to soon.

Fran
Big Fran is offline Find More Posts by Big Fran
Old May 31, 2009, 09:47 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,518 Posts
Warp, my FW went from my biggest RC disappointment to the most fun plane I have. It is a bit overpowered but it absolutely screams and its fun to fly w/ my Brother in law's stock FW and my nephew's Spit. We used to mock dogfight but they can't get anywhere near this thing. It'll go straight up just about as high as you can see it.

Yan - Nice paint job on the FW. I've thought about changing mine and I may still do it but those Tamiya cans are so expensive. I really like the PZ scheme thats stock but it would be nice to be different. I changed out the big red 6 for a yellow 2 and I also put a heart on it from the GWS ME 109 kit.

Big Fran What motor combo did you upgrade your ME 109 with? That is one fun plane and a great flier as well. I had a motor die on me and mine is in two pieces but I am going to reincarnate it with a Tower Pro 2409-12T. Mine had been the same paint scheme as yours only w/out the yellow. I think I will go with grey green/ green violet camo and the yellow like yours on my rebuild.

Regards,
Alan
Old May 31, 2009, 10:23 PM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
Here is my PZ Spit , flies great !
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Jun 01, 2009, 03:01 AM
Joined Jun 2006
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe
Yan - Nice paint job on the FW. I've thought about changing mine and I may still do it but those Tamiya cans are so expensive. I really like the PZ scheme thats stock but it would be nice to be different. I changed out the big red 6 for a yellow 2 and I also put a heart on it from the GWS ME 109 kit.
Thanks Alan. As I started with plastic models, I feel myself forced to paint my warbirds accurately
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fran
Here is my ME-109. In the pics it has the stock brushed setup in it. I only flew once and it was way under powered. I have switched it to a brushless Ultrafly gear box setup. I have not had a chance to give it a try yet with the new power setup in it but I hope to soon.

Fran
I'm sorry to tell you, but you missed the thread title! Your Bird is from GWS, not from Parkzone!
yan.kun is offline Find More Posts by yan.kun
Old Jun 01, 2009, 04:32 AM
I need a bigger Hanger!
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yan.kun

I'm sorry to tell you, but you missed the thread title! Your Bird is from GWS, not from Parkzone!
Your right. I'm sorry. My wife must be right when she tells me I never read her notes right eather.

Fran
Big Fran is offline Find More Posts by Big Fran
Old Jun 01, 2009, 05:23 AM
Wanaka, NZ
Joined Mar 2009
601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake flyer
Here is my PZ Spit , flies great !

there is something incredibly wrong with a spitfire on floats.
;-)
qman is offline Find More Posts by qman
Old Jun 01, 2009, 06:30 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,676 Posts
Here's mine...the one on the right(red). From back in the day.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Jun 01, 2009, 06:53 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,423 Posts
I like the idea of a Parkzone Warbird appreciation thread...so hear is mine.

I had problems with the stock version of Frankie and eventually crashed due to radio interference...

I stayed with the original color scheme and first I changed to a Spectrum TX/RX.
Using the stock gearbox I went brushless with an E-Flite six series 2700kv and Castle Creations 45A ESC and Thunder Power 2100mah battery. Now Frankie had plenty of power so I added a 10x8 4 bladed prop. It performed no worse then the stock 2 blade...just have to real careful on landings.
My last upgrade was the rudder conversion....now im waiting on the new foam mustang.

Dora Nine...Great paint job.
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade