HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2010, 05:12 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
991 Posts
Wow , that is way up there. Is this it? (google map picture)
Woops, lost it, but is it just north of the airport with 2 buildings and some other boats?
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2010, 06:15 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,271 Posts
Sure sounds like it. Sailboat is to the south and perpendicular to X-way, while I believe (??) there is a bigger power boat/cabin cruiser parallel to highway next to building. I forgot about Google Photos. Will have to go out and look.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:16 PM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater_dave View Post
As for being popular, it competes (in size, at least) with the Marbleheads. And there is already a Soling 50 class, so I guess it ended up being the other, other, 50" boat. This example is a fiberglass Dumas kit that my friend had in his basement for well over 20 years. He almost sold it about 10 years ago, but the buyer backed out at the last minute. He built it for himself and has never regretted it. It is very nice on the water.
It is A Marblehead 50/800, and should be registered with the class!
breakwater is offline Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Nov 23, 2013, 05:26 PM
Joined Nov 2013
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdabbler View Post
I'm moving towards painting my RC sailboat hull, but I don't know what sort of paints are best. Sure, I can go to the hardware shop and buy cans of paint in the colours I need, and it's pretty cheap, but will these give good results? I don't want them to scratch off easily and leave my boat looking ratty after a couple of sails.

The hull is balsa, covered with fibreglass and epoxy resin. I'm thinking the hull might benefit from a gloss-coat over the paint for super-shininess, and most of the deck, I'll leave with just the normal paint, so it has less gloss, maybe even use some matt paint on the non-slip areas. I think that would look nice.

I don't want to spend a fortune on paint, as I need 5 specific colours for the VO70 Ericsson 1 paint scheme (including black and white), plus the gloss coat.

Any recommendations on what sort of paints will (or won't) be suitable?
Just saw this now, but if anyone else encounters it, here is a great article on painting your rc boat.
remotorboater is offline Find More Posts by remotorboater
Old Dec 01, 2013, 08:55 PM
heyharv
Joined Oct 2013
5 Posts
I am new to Rc Group.

For most of my career I have represented auto body product manufacture. What I have noticed is yes, when you use automotive products the results are great when painting models however sometime the results can be absolutely terrible not because of the products but more so the person using them.

When using these products you need to protect your self of the vapors and in a closed area can be extremely dangerous and can cause many health problem short or long term.

So here is what I do when I paint any of my models when I am in my work shop in the house.

I use epoxy resin with cloth over the wood. Low odors simple to work with and better then polyester resin. Your wife will appreciate this tremendously

In regards to fillers, yes I could use Auto body fillers however the odors once again is terrible and can be dangerous. I am now using latex base would filler it is fantastic and odorless and quit quick for drying. Easy to sand and it does no react with aerosol primers. The product I use is called SAMAN wood filler saman.ca

For primers I use automotive stile aerosol primer however these product do smell some and if you intend to use it in you basement work shop place a fan in you window. Remember that the finer that you finish the putty surfaces the less primer you will need and the less you apply the faster and harder it will dry. Remember that these products are single stage with no hardeners therefore the thinner the better. Unfortunately I have not found a good water base primer to date.

Now the fun starts Painting. I live in Canada therefore I can easily obtain water base automotive base coat paint. These products work really well and are simple to use with no odor as well. If you can not obtain these product from you local jobber then you will need to use solvent base coat.

I have experimented with latex interior house paint diluted with distilled water to thin out the pain and I have had great results as well, I use distilled water to thin the paint this way it can be sprayed on.

For the clear coat finish I am using water base urethane floor varnishes they come in Gloss, satin and semi gloss. They can be applied with a detail gravity spray gun. This is a small spray gun that you can obtain usually at your local jobber for under a 100$. These Clears once dried are just a durable as and automotive clear and are not affected with water and are of low odor.

Hope this has helped you out.

Harvey
heyharv is offline Find More Posts by heyharv