HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2010, 06:11 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,635 Posts
Step 1 - Buy a Binks Model 115 spray gun.

If you're serious about your finishes, you need the correct tools to apply them - like the Binks 115 if you use a standard compressor instead of an HVLP staged turbine.

Now, you could get the Harbor Freight model, the Touch-Up Air Spray Gun which is an almost part for part clone of the Binks for a lot less, but you will probably end up replacing it's parts, especially the spray nozzles and the pin with Binks parts for better consistency of coat.

I have used the 115 for decades to do everything from a quick spray job on a shelf, to a piano-grade lacquer finishes on piece of fine-furniture. The 115, as long as I keep it clean and lubed properly, has never let me down.

Use vinyl pinstripe type for masking, either that or green frog where the angles aren't as acute.

Oh, yeah... Stay away from cyanoacrylic based two-part paints unless you have proper demand supply breathing gear and proper ventalation... one of the guys at the paint shop I used to use a number of years ago was going out hard and painfully due to exposure to the fumes.
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Sep 02, 2010 at 07:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2010, 07:23 AM
USA, LA, Mandeville
Joined Feb 2005
885 Posts
A tip for those who like to mask lines on their hull. Apply the tape, vinyl is best, but others will work too. Then spray a coat of clear along the edges. Then apply your color when the clear has dried. As always, use paints from the same product line to prevent reactions between carriers.

The clear will bleed under the tape edges and dry, then the colors will not bleed under, but leave a nice sharp edge. You don't need to do this if you always use high quality tape and rub the edges down good. but all it takes is one bleed under the tape to mess up an afternoon!
hew565 is offline Find More Posts by hew565
Last edited by hew565; Sep 03, 2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 09:37 AM
Rick Lange
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
56 Posts
Siberian,

How well does Dupont nason stick to polystyrene? Adhesion has been my biggest issue with "appliance" paints.

Rick
Blue Heron is offline Find More Posts by Blue Heron
Old Sep 03, 2010, 06:24 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hew565 View Post
A tip for those who like to mask lines on their hull. Apply the tape, vinyl is best, but others will work too. Then spray a coat of clear along the edges. Then apply your color when the clear has dried. As always, use paints from the same product line to prevent reactions between carriers.

The clear will bleed under the tape edges and dry, then the colors will not bleed under, but leave a nice sharp edge. You don't need to do this if you always use high quality tape and rub the edges down good. but all it takes is one bleed under the tape to mess up an afternoon!
What a Great Idea! I wish I knew about that a couple paint jobs ago!
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:16 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,938 Posts
Lots of possibilities for paint. The pro guns are great, but come with a steep learning curve, and some other pieces of hardware, like a compressor.
I just did this Dumas Etchells with fast dry Rust-O-Leum rattle can paint. Blue tape for general masking and a thin vinyl pinstripe tape for the little line.
Once the paint is a bit harder, I will wet sand and buff the hull. Not perfect, but the cost was under $20.

Dave
boater_dave is online now Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:46 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,264 Posts
Looks great Dave.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Oct 01, 2010, 06:57 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,938 Posts
Finally got the boat out on the water. It was a great day to sail today.
Sorry for the thread hi-jack. So I'll put my paint job two cents in...
I am a big fan of rattle can spray paint. It's cheap and easy to apply. A couple of thin coats, then I wet sand (600 grit) to get a smooth surface. I follow that up with a bit of polishing compound for a really hard and smooth surface. Car wax for the final shine. Most of the stuff is available at the hardware store, and costs only a couple of bucks. This 50" boat has about 12 hours total in the paint job. The hardest part was getting the boot stripe in the right place because the hull gets very flat near the rudder.

Dave
Old Oct 01, 2010, 08:36 PM
Joined Sep 2008
987 Posts
Hiya Dave, Nice Etchells there, first time I've seen one here. Why isn't this class more popular? Great looking boat, easy size to transport, or is it a Soling clone? Curious....
Old Oct 01, 2010, 10:46 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,264 Posts
Very nice.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Oct 02, 2010, 06:23 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,938 Posts
Define 'easy to transport'. It is 50" long, 14" deep and weighs about 15 pounds. The mast is 62" tall. I suppose in comparison it's half the weight of my Frer, so at least you can carry the Etchells with one hand.
As for being popular, it competes (in size, at least) with the Marbleheads. And there is already a Soling 50 class, so I guess it ended up being the other, other, 50" boat. This example is a fiberglass Dumas kit that my friend had in his basement for well over 20 years. He almost sold it about 10 years ago, but the buyer backed out at the last minute. He built it for himself and has never regretted it. It is very nice on the water.
It does look very much like a 50" Soling. We have two Vortex Solings in our club, too. I think the stern is a bit wider and flatter than the Soling, and perhaps the real boats would be better at getting up on a run or broad reach with crew weight well aft. The class page (real boats) has a nice bit on the history of the boat.
http://www.etchells.org/index.php?op...=130&Itemid=97

Dave
Last edited by boater_dave; Oct 02, 2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2010, 04:00 PM
Joined Sep 2008
987 Posts
Dave, great site for Etchells there. I'm very tempted to get one now! I didn't know it was such a popular world class boat. Curious question; does the class or IYRU/OD rule require a white hull and deck? I saw no boats other than white.
Old Oct 04, 2010, 09:47 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,938 Posts
I don't know if the class rules specify boat color. But I do know that super competative folks in real boats prefer all white boats so it's harder to see your bow if you happen to be a bit over early. With models it's much harder to get lost in the crowd when the judges are standing on the shore with an overhead view of the entire fleet.

Dave
Old Oct 04, 2010, 09:54 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,063 Posts
Back and forth on visits to Michigan, I see an older one with mast on trailer in a boat yard/recycling company parking area. (Full size) Seems it is looking for someone to take pity and do a refurb/restore. This one has white hull and a faded "turquoise" colored deck.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Oct 04, 2010, 11:44 AM
Joined Sep 2008
987 Posts
Dick, Ok, I'll bite. Where exactly is it? Does it have the mast and boom? Maybe you could contact the Etchells website so it could be rescued. Any pics?
Old Oct 04, 2010, 01:58 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,063 Posts
South of Topinabee/Indian River (on east side of I-75 - upper part of lower penninsula). Have to get off X-way before/after and find a frontage road to the storage location. Can't tell if it had booms - can only see hull, rudder, trailer and mast laying on top.

Pics? - nope, not at 75-80 mph.

May go back in November and will try to remember to carry camera inside car (not trunk). No company names or phone numbers posted on fence between yard and x-way. I don't have any former sailing friends living up that way/in that area. If my memory serves me, it might even be south of Calvin Campbell Municipal Airport .....

ADDED: Just sent off a note to Chamber of Commerce to see if "they" have any info on the owner/business. Will post if I find out.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Last edited by Dick L.; Oct 04, 2010 at 02:06 PM.