HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2010, 10:28 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,993 Posts
Look here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...31&postcount=7

and look at the videos in post to of this thread and the instructions. Were we doing the laminate and extreme tape when you bought your kit?
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2010, 10:47 PM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
An enjoyable "first" for me.

Lee,

Hope this isn't too off topic but I have a vid I'd like to share and my Slinger takes so much inspiration from your Assassin I figured you wouldn't mind.

GDay Slinger 3.wmv (1 min 30 sec)

Steve.
Cybernaught is offline Find More Posts by Cybernaught
Old Jun 04, 2010, 07:30 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernaught View Post
Lee,

Hope this isn't too off topic but I have a vid I'd like to share and my Slinger takes so much inspiration from your Assassin I figured you wouldn't mind.

GDay Slinger 3.wmv (1 min 30 sec)

Steve.

It looks good Steve. I like the catch at the end. I know someone else that likes to catch their plane.
Old Jun 04, 2010, 12:37 PM
Wingman2004
South Carolina
Joined Oct 2004
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Look here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...31&postcount=7

and look at the videos in post to of this thread and the instructions. Were we doing the laminate and extreme tape when you bought your kit?
No they weren't mentioned at that time, but I just realized the build videos have been updated to reflect the latest. All I had to do was look. Thanks anyway.
wingman2004 is offline Find More Posts by wingman2004
Old Jun 04, 2010, 02:35 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,993 Posts
We know the threads get long so it is hard to find things.

I try to keep summarizing the thread in the first few posts and my RCG blog but it is hard to keep up with. We also encourage people to try new things as long as their linkages are tight and the CG is right so there are quite a few new ideas mixed in.
Old Jun 04, 2010, 03:41 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,393 Posts
Does anyone already put a 808 keychain camera onboard in a wing? I was thinking about how to hold once it affects the CG..

Here is my first aerial video with my son yesterday..

Filmagem aérea (4 min 29 sec)
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Jun 04, 2010, 05:20 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Muito bon!

Love the music. When do we get to see your son fly it??

Here's a few of mine from the archives:

uncivil war Oct 10, 2009 (3 min 36 sec)

Neighborhood Cam (7 min 26 sec)
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old Jun 04, 2010, 07:18 PM
Professional Toothpick maker
USA, NY, New Hampton
Joined Jan 2005
685 Posts
I just velcro mine to the top off center, it's so light I don't even know it's there.

Assassin FPV (8 min 59 sec)
nalby is offline Find More Posts by nalby
Old Jun 05, 2010, 02:11 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
I have finished two Assassins recently and have wrote a little on the RC Groups. I feel going back to a lightweight plane has great benefit, in crashes (less damage), fun to fly, aerobatics etc.

My new favorite Assassin plane has Extreme tape only (cross your heart and a little extra) for the covering and comes in a little over 17ozs. I am dusting the raw EPP with 3M77 or 3M90 before putting any tape on. 3M90 takes awhile to cure completely. Maybe days.

Red motor, 1350 mah 3S battery and the CG is about 1/8" rearward of the recommended 6.5" CG.

The elevons are completely covered in Extreme tape and seems to be fine with only that.

I am still using the 1/8" carbon tube slipped over and glued to control rod for stiffness but I am adding Extreme tape to the end of the carbon that tend to split in crashes.

I am drilling for and running a 1/4" or #10 NYLON nut and bolt through the motor mount to the top of the wing and using lite ply or G10 material for the washer on top. I no longer glue the motor mount to the plane. Extreme tape the bottom of the mount to the plane.

I no longer add the chord that goes around the perimeter of the plane. The Extreme tape takes up that reinforcement function, me thinks.

The new tapered elevons might be more sensitive to drive line and elevon placement inaccuracies and introduce lateral instability. With 5 planes with the new tapered elevons I am still investigating this phenomenon. At least 1/2" elevon from the prop I believe is a must.

Most of this is contrary to Lee's instructions, but it is modelling, after all, and this is how I am modeling this plane.

All for now.
C
cliffo is offline Find More Posts by cliffo
Last edited by cliffo; Jun 08, 2010 at 07:55 AM. Reason: edited lateral stability observation
Old Jun 05, 2010, 02:37 PM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,438 Posts
I got my new Assassin ready to fly earlier this spring but was disappointed with its handling almost from the beginning. I continued to fly my first Assassin most of the time. The new one would wiggle back and forth at slow speeds and just didn't feel as "solid" as the old one. Well, I am lucky enough to be able to fly with Lee several times a year. In just a few minutes with him checking out my new wing he figured out the problem. BOTH my servos were loose. Not much, but enough that it made the wing mis-behave. Now, it is as solid as the old one. The only other thing we did was to move the control rod one hole closer on the servo arm so there was less stress on the servo.
Thanks to Lee and his years of experience for the diagnosis. I would never have seen the problem.
Evan
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Jun 05, 2010, 02:51 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,993 Posts
The Assassin flies better with the CG a little forward with the new thinner elevons. The new elevons have a significant decrease in drag. I can get them so they fly close to the same under power with the thinner elevons and they definitely glide farther. The drag of the flat elevons does create some stability but it is at the expense of the glide. I will happily recommend a longer leading edge angle cut if you find it is working better.

I have torn the extreme tape not just once but many times when it is not supported with the shock cord. I think the shock cord is worth it's weight in gold. We had a new flyer chase a few gophers today at full throttle with a Titan. His Titan hit as hard as any wreck I have seen in recent times. Without the shock cord it would have split the wing in half. I know this because there was a small 2" tear in the foam between the elevons that only went as far as the shock cord would let it. He tore the laminate and maybe the extreme tape. I can't remember for sure if he had the E-tape between the elevons. Repair will be easy because all he has is work a little hot glue into the small defined tear and put a little laminate top and bottom and he will be done. The shock cord is still intact. The shock cord also helps to prevent getting a wingtip torn off or a chunk of foam out of the leading edge. I use shock cords even on the PEREGRINE and my conventional planes and sometimes leave the E-Tape off but not the shock cord. I have split too many wings over the years.

It looks like ecase beat me to the story. Evan had long arms on his servos and had the push rods attached out on the end hole. He was having more yaw than we usually see. We moved the push rods to the closest holes to the servo and it fixed the problem. I think the servos were binding up with that long of horns on the servos. The best way to set up the linkages is to have the maximum servo rotation with small arms on the servo for the best leverage on the gears and the servo. His servos were also loose in the foam. They had been glued but they had come loose and were moving under stress. We re-glued the servos and he is delighted with the improvement. Sometimes the elevon has to be under stress for to see the servo move.

I have recently heard the theory that you don't need as much movement in the tapered elevons because they are so much more efficient. I'm using them on all of my new planes at this time and have even gone back and replaced some of the old style elevons with some of the new style elevons on some of my older planes.

I helped another flyer find a lost plane. He hit some power lines and panicked and flew off into the horizon. The trick here is to stand in one place and point at the place where you think the plane ended up and then line up two points to get you there that hopefully you can see from a distance. We lined up a grain silo and a telephone pole and the plane was really close to the line. Estimating the amount of time the plane was in the air before going down also helps to judge the distance. He was about 1000 feet away in tall grass and shrubs and the plane could only be seen from one direction.

It is also important to watch carefully the last few seconds before a plane goes down to decide if it is in front or behind telephone wires, trees, houses, hills or the moon.

It is also a really good idea to have your name and phone number on an obvious place on your plane so it can be returned by a do-gooder if they find it in the rare situation that you can't find it.

Lee

Last edited by Lee; Jun 05, 2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2010, 07:58 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I have torn the extreme tape not just once but many times when it is not supported with the shock cord. I think the shock cord is worth it's weight in gold.

Lee
Exactly. Why would one choose to skip this step? Laminate perhaps I understand, but not the shock cord...
Old Jun 05, 2010, 11:55 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,993 Posts
The extreme tape alone is strong and fast but .... it would start to yellow in a couple of weeks and over a few months the tape would dry out and come loose and sometimes even fall apart without the laminate or ultracoat. We had to put something over the tape. The tape is very UV sensitive.
Old Jun 06, 2010, 12:47 AM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
We just got the tenth EPP WING in our growing club up and going today... Next un-civil war, watch out!

I love the look and feel of laminated planes. I have found, however, that a light spray of 3M90 adhesive and a layer of paint seems to protect the tape just as well as laminate, and probably adds the same amount of weight.
Old Jun 06, 2010, 10:05 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,993 Posts
This is a link to our airbrushing instructions. I like the look. I know some flyers are putting laminate over paint that has had a dusting of 3M90, others are painting the laminate itself and others are painting without the laminate. Personally I have been promoting the holographic tape lately. It really looks good in the sun.

Airbrushing link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=11

Holographic tape link: http://stores.ebay.com/Paper-Street-...34Q2ec0Q2em322

This is the brightest of the holographic tapes and changes color as the plane changes angles. I nearly crashed when I was so focused on the color change I forgot to fly my plane. It looks silver on the roll. It has an adhesive back and sticks well to the laminate. I do reinforce the front edge of the holographic tape with a little clear tape to help keep it stuck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Silver-Holograph...item1c08b18050

This is the dark Kalideo that I have on my Grim Reapers. It looks black inside but in the sun it comes to life.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Holocrysta...item56325ac3cb

Lee

Last edited by Lee; Jun 06, 2010 at 11:16 AM.