Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 11, 2010, 01:20 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmstrong View Post
Hello everyone,

I just finished the assassin and would like to know an easy way to set cog?

I t seems hard to balance for me ,I think I am real close but it tips back and forth not like my regular planes.

Thanks,Don
Check it with the wing up side down ...... a lot more stable .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2010, 01:31 AM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotY View Post
Hi guys,

I want to build an Assassin and am clueless with the motor/battery options. I have sufficient flying and building experience so that part should be no problem. What I am needing help with is the equipment selection. Hobby King is out of stock for most 1350mah packs right now. Should I stick to that size battery? Are there any other inexpensive batteries out there and where can I buy them? How do you adjust the CG if you use different batteries? The CF2812 motor...is that the same as the FC 28-12? Would that be the best all around motor?

I haven't had a flying wing since the original Zagi 400 years ago. Flying a fast plane isn't a problem but that's not my goal or desire for the Assassin. What I want is a nice flying wing that can fly slow as well as moderately fast and can also handle some wind (it's usually 10-15 mph minimum around here). I guess what I'm saying is I want a middle of the road setup. I like to fly around/under things and informal combat with friends. Is the Assassin slow enough to hand catch? Loved to do that with the old Zagi.

Thanks, would really appreciate some advice! Tried to read through this thread but it is LONG!
Have a look at this link ...... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...51&postcount=1

and look through this one as well ........ http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...23&postcount=1

The 2812 is a great motor and costs half nothing ......

the 1350 lipo is the perfect size and balances spot on .... I certainly stay with it all the time .....

the Assassin looks ideal for what you want out of a Wing .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old May 11, 2010, 04:34 AM
jhi
Norway
Joined Jun 2009
173 Posts
My new Assassin

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I t seems hard to balance for me ,I think I am real close but it tips back and forth not like my regular planes.

Thanks,Don
I am also interested in this topic!

Finished building my Assassin last weekend, and maidened it yesterday. I have been flying my "old" Titan for some time now, and I am surprised how stable it is, very easy to handle for a beginner like me. The Assassin acted more like my first "very old" 80cm MS-wing I built last fall. Looks like it's tail heavy, although it balances just in front of the bomb drop - 6.5" from the nose. I had already ordered (and waiting for) 1300mAh batteries from HK, it's 20g heavier than the 1050mAh I am using now. In the mean time I shall experiment with some extra weight to see if it makes any difference. I don't expect the smaller 48" Assassin perform like the 60" Titan - and I enjoyed the challenge to keep it in the air in gusty winds! Tried to program less throw, reducing it from 60% to 40%, but it did not help much. The push rod is at the outer connection at the elevon horn, and hole number 4 from the center of the servo arm. Elevons are parallel to the bottom of the wing with centered rudders. Elevons are taped both sides with extreme tape and covered with laminate.

From the pictures you may notice I put the ESC further back than in Lee's instructions, but I compensated for change in CG by moving the battery compartment 1/4" forward. The reason for doing this was mainly for cooling purposes, but I also discovered the red ESC had the right color! Perhaps not a good idea, different batteries with different weights further from CG - but a quarter of an inch isn't much.. In my case I think I am going to stay with the 1300mAh batteries when (if) they arrive from HK, or if the wing is still tail heavy - bigger, heavier batteries.

I could try to edit and upload the key cam video I made from the very first flight - Lee or some other experienced pilot may diagnose the behavior . After all it could be pilot error, and no - the wing was not upside down!

UPDATE - Problem solved!
I forgot to check CG after i put on the extreme tape hinges for the elevons. Checked balance point again, it had moved aft to the center of the bomb drop. I am embarrassed, but I blame it on the paint fumes! This, I think, explains the tail heavy behavior - am going to correct it and try again when snow has gone..

No flying today - see photo..

The specifications for my Assassin and some photos...

Motor: CF 28-12 Brushless Outrunner 1534kv (W:39g)
Propeller: APC style 7x6-E w/ 3mm Prop Saver
ESC: Hobbyking TURNIGY Plush 30amp Speed Controller
Servos: Turingy MG90S Metal Gear
TX: Futaba 6EX 2.4GHz FAAST
RX: Futaba R607FS
Battery: Rhino 1050 mAh 3S 11.1V 20C w/ XT60 connector (W:103g)
AUW = 464g = 16.4oz

Future upgrade:
Motor: TowerPro Brushless Outrunner TP2409_12D (W:63g)
Battery: Turnigy 1300mAh 3S 30C (W:123g)
Added weight: 44g (1.5oz)
Calculated AUW: 508g (17.9oz)

Have a nice day and happy flying!
/Jan

PS
Yesterday I also flew my Titan with the new TR 35-30A 1700kv motor and 2150mAh battery. Like a rocket straight up!!
jhi is offline Find More Posts by jhi
Last edited by jhi; May 11, 2010 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Corrected typos and added pictures - Update - Problem solved
Old May 11, 2010, 12:45 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
I have been reading up on parallel charging lipos, and this image reminded me of Lee:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2699126
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old May 11, 2010, 11:45 PM
Mount Vernon, WA
Joined Dec 2006
83 Posts
Nnnnnnneeeeeooorrrrrrrwwwwwwwmm!

I had something like 10 of those little paratrooper guys from the dollar store and had fun dropping them. I'm a terrible shot, but getting better. It's so hard to judge. I think I have 3 left. A few got chopped up when they were stuck after I hit the switch and I had to goose the throttle to yank them out and the rest of them were caught in a tree or field and murdered by Nazi sympathizers due to bad drops.

ATONAL6173 is offline Find More Posts by ATONAL6173
Old May 14, 2010, 11:03 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Aug 2008
27 Posts
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks,Don
Don,
Here's a trick I used on my Assassin and will be using on my new Scythe which I am just finishing up on. I took a paper clip, straightened it out, then bent it into a "M" shape about 1/2 to 3/4" wide and 1" or so tall - except that there were three "humps" instead of two on the "M" (so as to be able to have three CG points). I measured the CG on the top of the wing and then pushed the two long ends into the foam and glued them so that the one long end was at the front of the CG range and the other was at the back of the CG range. The "M" shaped clip runs parallel to the center line of the plane (perpendicular to the CG line). To set CG I use another paper clip bent into a hook shape and with a string tied to it. I tie one end of the string to the ceiling and then the hook goes into the "M" shaped thing. If I want the CG exactly as recommended, I hook on the middle hump. If I want it slightly forward, I use the front most hump and so on for the rear hump. I found it nice to be able to have the plane hanging there and add or remove weight or change batteries to get the CG right. In the field if I need to check the CG I just use a paper clip to hook into the "M" shaped thing. Sorry I don't have any pictures but I'm at work.
Hope this works for you. Let me know if you have any questions.

Nathan
nlodoen is online now Find More Posts by nlodoen
Old May 15, 2010, 09:33 AM
USA, OK, Claremore
Joined Oct 2008
74 Posts
Thanks everyone for the cog tips.

Don
darmstrong is offline Find More Posts by darmstrong
Old May 16, 2010, 12:52 PM
USA, OK, Claremore
Joined Oct 2008
74 Posts
I got my plane balanced thanks to Nlodoen's tips, I maidened it today in the rain couldn't wait.
I never flew a wing before and I crashed into some high grass like I knew I would, no damage fun fun. When the plane crashed it threw the motor and mount about 25ft. away took a while to find it. I think this will be a good wing to learn on.

Don
darmstrong is offline Find More Posts by darmstrong
Old May 16, 2010, 11:32 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
I have been reading up on parallel charging lipos, and this image reminded me of Lee:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2699126
I don't like to have different batteries split off one charger. If you have one bad cell you may affect more than the one battery.

I have enough chargers I can usually charge a days flying in one charge session.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old May 17, 2010, 12:51 PM
Payson, Utah
Joined Feb 2010
147 Posts
Just wanted to take a few minutes and thank Lee for his help in setting up my Assassin. Have not met many of the local flyers as I'm just new and feel real fortunate that I live close by and was able to get some really great help in setting up a wing. I've been in and out of RC in one way or another control line, planes, cars, coaxial helicopters since the early 80s but never really stayed in one place. My first RC was as I recall a Falcon 56 that I spent several months completing had it up a couple times before I lost orientation and spun it in the ground. The only thing salvageable as I recall was servos. Motor was broken in half and the receiver no longer worked. Anyway to say the least my spirit was pretty much broke. Pokeing around on the Internet and trying to pick brains seemed to me like EPP foam might be the answer. Ran into crash test hobbies a ordered my assassin. The next day I get e-mail from Lee telling me if I would like I can pick up the kit since i'm local and save time and postage fees. Anyway to make a long story short we spent two days... could've done it in one if it hadent started raining while he sorted out my transmitter. I have an older Airtronics that I believe is a pretty good radio but one not familiar with local flyers in this area. Anyway after Lee got it trimmed in I was off and crashing, indestructible as a pretty big word but I'm telling you I had some doozies. One was a boomarang bounce about 15 feet in the air, walked over picked it up slipped the prop back on the prop saver and a toss and it was back in the air. A few more crashes less spectacular, then another doozy. Was flying kinda low and my depth perception was not too good and there was this nice looking ornamental tree, I didn't realize you could trim a tree at 50 yards anyway I knocked three nice limbs out of it one about the diameter of my thumb, picked up plane............ and the limbs. Check things out and still NO DAMAGE. The plane seems a little fast for me but I'm sure I'm heavier on the throttle than necessary and I know I made it a little heavy trying to make it look good, a common problem Lee says. Anyway I would highly recommend this plane is a trainer try and keep it light and use the help of the local flyers in your area especially those familiar with flying wings. For those of you like me have been out of the hobby because of frustration things have really changed materials electronics battery motor technology are light years ahead of when it was 20+ years ago and the price is still not cheap but much more affordable and with carbon and foam technologies what they are you can survive crashes that are unbelievable. Anyway again Lee I appreciate your help after I finish this I'm going to give you a call call and see if you're flying today, and even if you're not I've got enough guts now to go out and do it on my own. I think I'm hooked because I'm already thinking of the Grim Reaper or Titan. Thanks again John.
burhead27 is offline Find More Posts by burhead27
Old May 17, 2010, 01:32 PM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,943 Posts
Welcome John.

I've got a Falcon 56 in my garage that still has the original Fox .40 on it. It was the first plane I built as well, but after having someone else fly it I decided to build a smaller plane to learn to fly on. The Falcon hasn't flown for 30+ years, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it.

Jeff
jwjohnson is online now Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Old May 17, 2010, 02:24 PM
Payson, Utah
Joined Feb 2010
147 Posts
Thanks for the welcome Jeff, where and when the fly? Have met a few of the local guys while flying with Lee but I'm so poor on names don't know if I've met you.Went to the sod farm once and the evil soccer field. Have today off so I think I'll just head down to the west side of town and give it a go. Hate to drive to Orem and find out there's nobody there. I think the falcon is a good trainer right now I'm sold on the foam just too much work in the balsa, it's not that I don't injoy building because I do... it's just not if you crash but when you crash. I sure don't miss the noise and clean up of fuel either. Anyway look forward to meeting you. John.
burhead27 is offline Find More Posts by burhead27
Old May 17, 2010, 04:02 PM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,943 Posts
John,

Here's the thread we use to discuss where and when we are flying in Utah County. Just subscribe to it and it will show you if there are new posts there whenever you click on the "My RCGroups" link at the top of the page.

During the week people usually fly at Vineyard (Lakeview) sports park. We can only fly at the Sod Farm on Saturdays unless we get special permission for a holiday or something like that.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ostcount=11641
jwjohnson is online now Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Old May 17, 2010, 11:02 PM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
More Finless Flying Wings...

Hello Lee, and the gang...

Well it may be a bit off subject but I think it will be of interest to Assassin flyers. I stole your finless idea and here are some video results.

Slinger Maiden.
This is a podless version of the Featherwing 40 Finless Flying Wing.
Singer maiden.mp4 (3 min 50 sec)

Slinger Session 2
There are some out-takes at the end of this one.
Slinger S2.wmv (4 min 8 sec)

Miss Piggy Maiden.
This is the tapered wing version of the Featherwing podded Finless Flying Wing. Vent holes in the front make it look like a pig's snout head on view.
MP Flies2.wmv (2 min 39 sec)

Here is a KFm4 Assassin on maiden flight and I managed to find a flagpole with her. This is not pretty but it is ON Topic...
Ass Miden fp.wmv (0 min 28 sec)

All these attempts are under 5oz/sq ft!

Steve.
Cybernaught is offline Find More Posts by Cybernaught
Last edited by Cybernaught; May 18, 2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old May 18, 2010, 09:06 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
Hi Steve.

Steve has been flying for the last 18 months and has built a lot of planes and is willing to try anything. His flying ability has greatly improved and so has the design of his planes. He is kind of the KF airfoil poster boy. :-)

I have been watching the progress on your planes on the KF airfoil site. How do you like the finless design compared to the fins?

Steve is amazing because he builds with white bead foam in the Philippines. I think he builds about 2 planes a week. I keep trying to get him to try an EPP plane so he could knock down the troublesome palm trees that keep getting in his way.

I have a different plane for you to try. I don't know if you have ever tried the Capricorn design but I have some ideas that make it easy for the kitchen builder like you and it flies great. I'm thinking of kitting this plane again and would like some of your feedback. This thread has full instructions of how to cut and build the plane.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898958

Lee

Capricorn Mini RC Plane HQ (7 min 1 sec)

Capricorn Radio Control Trainer (6 min 2 sec)

Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; May 18, 2010 at 09:19 AM.