Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceFedDSM View Post
Lee,
I plan on purchasing my first wing soon and I'll be picking up an Assassin. My buddy is also looking to pick up a wing but he is interested in a 48" ws, do you have any 48" wings? What power system would you recommend at 48"? Also he is replacing a zagi with this, how do they compare for speed? I know it's power system dependent, but what about airframe. I might go with a 48" if he does just so we have fair combat scenarios

Thanks,
Jared
The Titan is easily cut to 48" and flies very well. Cliff and others are putting the 3530-1700 on the 48" plane. The plane goes mach whatever!!!

The speed is more based on the prop speed than the plane if the wingspans are the same.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2010, 04:22 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmstrong View Post
Thanks Hobie
I didn,t see your reply the first time .
Is it very hard to remove set screws after you use Threadlock?

Thanks Don
I use the Blue loctite and never have a problem getting screws etc loose again when needed ......

for me the Cardinal rule is "use threadlock every time" .......
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old May 01, 2010, 04:34 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I trade out the set screws for 3mm hex screws in the base that I use thread lock on to keep from coming loose
I like that idea ...... must give it a try on a future build ....
Old May 01, 2010, 06:06 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie14 View Post
I like that idea ...... must give it a try on a future build ....
Be careful not to over tighten the screws or it will crimp the bearings and ruin the motor.
Old May 01, 2010, 11:37 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,763 Posts
I finally got done with my Assassin. I've only had it for about 5 months. I was in a hurry on the paint job, so there are a couple minor blemishes. No one will notice in the air.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
Old May 02, 2010, 01:30 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Be careful not to over tighten the screws or it will crimp the bearings and ruin the motor.
o-key-doke ......
Old May 02, 2010, 11:51 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,627 Posts
I have damaged the bearings on several motors because there is so much more leverage with the bigger screws. It is also easy to strip the threads on the motor mount with the steel screws in the aluminum motor mount.

Great looking plane Dan. Can't wait to knock it out of the sky. The rule on covering is people can only comment on the blemishes if they see them as it flies by at 50 feet at 50 MPH! What paint did you use?
Old May 02, 2010, 03:39 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,763 Posts
The blue is H2O rattle can water based spray paint that Wal*Mart used to carry. The others are just Krylon high gloss paint that I bummed off of a neighbor.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
Old May 03, 2010, 11:43 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15 View Post
The blue is H2O rattle can water based spray paint that Wal*Mart used to carry. The others are just Krylon high gloss paint that I bummed off of a neighbor.
I have succumbed to Lee's disco tape recommendation. Quick, easy and pretty. For combat it dazzles the enemy. They become transfixed and confused. As their favorite Donna Summers songs is playing in their head you nail them.
Isn't Disco illegal in Utah?
cliffo is offline Find More Posts by cliffo
Old May 03, 2010, 01:45 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffo View Post
I have succumbed to Lee's disco tape recommendation. Quick, easy and pretty. For combat it dazzles the enemy. They become transfixed and confused. As their favorite Donna Summers songs is playing in their head you nail them.
Isn't Disco illegal in Utah?
My wife has had to bail me out of jail several times for the flashy tape and the disco music I put on my videos.

As you can see by watching the Utah Jazz fans we are very sedate here in Utah.

If you have seen the movie "Footloose" it was filmed about 10 miles north of here.

The holographic tape is easy, looks great and hides mistakes well. I highly recommend it.

http://stores.ebay.com/Paper-Street-...34Q2ec0Q2em322
Old May 03, 2010, 04:14 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,971 Posts
Ressurecting motors and new motor mounts

A friend of mine was able to ressurect 2 motors over the weekend, by rewinding them using the dlrk method with a delta termination:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=3#post8180335

He used 26 guage wire with 10 turns on each pole, and it turns out just like the stock motors. Conversely, 9 turns increases the kv by about 200 (1750 kv) and makes a little speed deamon.

Also, if you have bent your stock motor mounts a little too much, I found a great subsititute at local hardware stores. In the wooden fencing section, pick up an "A21" right angle bracket. Just over 50 cents at both Lowes and Home depot.

Same gauge as what Lee sends out, but a little shorter on the bottom.

Believe it or not, the holes are predrilled in exactly the right place for the CF2812 mounts, using 2 or 2.5 mm screws!
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old May 03, 2010, 04:43 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
A friend of mine was able to ressurect 2 motors over the weekend, by rewinding them using the dlrk method with a delta termination:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=3#post8180335

He used 26 guage wire with 10 turns on each pole, and it turns out just like the stock motors. Conversely, 9 turns increases the kv by about 200 (1750 kv) and makes a little speed deamon.

Also, if you have bent your stock motor mounts a little too much, I found a great subsititute at local hardware stores. In the wooden fencing section, pick up an "A21" right angle bracket. Just over 50 cents at both Lowes and Home depot.

Same gauge as what Lee sends out, but a little shorter on the bottom.

Believe it or not, the holes are predrilled in exactly the right place for the CF2812 mounts, using 2 or 2.5 mm screws!

Yes, it looks good but be sure that the shaft that protrudes out the back of the motor doesn't run into the new mount. Drill a hole in it to be sure.

On the set screw issue: When a new motor arrives from the supplier get the lock tite out and one at a time remove each set screw and dip the screw in a drop of lock tite and reinstall it, never assume that the set screws are secure from the supplier. But don't over tighten them, that's why we use the lock tite.
And should the lock tite get too good of a lock on the screw just apply some heat, either with a soldering iron/gun to the screw or use a heat gun. As soon as the lock tite warms up it will alllow the screw to turn.
Note: Locktit sets by the absence of air so don't over do it when applying it. put a drop onto a plastic lid a dip half the threads into the drop of locktite. The excess will run out but too much just makes a mess and is of no use. And the product seporates when sitting so be sure to shake the container before using any of it.
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Last edited by Chico John; May 03, 2010 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Spell check
Old May 03, 2010, 04:46 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico John View Post

Yes, it looks good but be sure that the shaft that protrudes out the back of the motor doesn't run into the new mount. Drill a hole in it to be sure.

And a hole for the bomb drop!

Luckily the 2812 usually has its shaft and clip burried in the red motor mount, and doesn't touch the mount, but I agree the hole in the middle is still a good idea, it for nothing more than keeping the bearings cool.
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old May 03, 2010, 05:04 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Forgot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
And a hole for the bomb drop!

Luckily the 2812 usually has its shaft and clip burried in the red motor mount, and doesn't touch the mount, but I agree the hole in the middle is still a good idea, it for nothing more than keeping the bearings cool.
Opps, I forgot about the bomb drop.
A cool running bearing is a long running bearing.
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old May 07, 2010, 02:07 AM
Mount Vernon, WA
Joined Dec 2006
83 Posts
Nnnnneeeeooooowwwwwrrrrmmmmm.....

Had just enough foam to cut another assasin-like plane while I was still flying my first copy-cat (Thanks for all the information and online knowledge, Lee!)

So when my first one finally was too far gone to keep repairing (the carbon tube split and I didn't have any left) I started getting this one ready to fly. But I still had lots of small carbon rod and ended up using as much as I could to make it really stiff. Overkill, a little heavy, but...what fun!

Finally got it dialed in this afternoon, including Lee's easy bomb drop. I packed my cool old G.I.Joe parachute, gave it a toss, and hit the gear switch. It works! Where'd it go? I know where I released it, and which way the wind took it, but couldn't find the darn thing! Bright blue, gold, red, and white parachute. Walked up and down the field looking for it.

What else could I drop? Tennis ball. Lost that after two drops. Fun fun fun.

Nnnnnneeeoooooowwwwwrrrmmm.....
Nnnnnneeeoooooowwwwwrrrmmm.....

Thank you Lee!
ATONAL6173 is offline Find More Posts by ATONAL6173