SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 11, 2009, 12:52 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,178 Posts
Jason you need to come fly with us again. Your new Assassin is too pretty. We need to help you fix it.

Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jul 11, 2009 at 07:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2009, 02:39 PM
what is a rudder for?
Sarasota, Fl
Joined Jan 2005
101 Posts
My Assassin, maiden today went GREAT, this wing really moves and then slows down for some in close tooling around!

18.5 AUW seems heavy but she climbs out nice, took me quite a few flights to get her dialed in, I have an older computer radio, the trims work fine, but when I went into the programing to try to duplicate the trim settings everything seems different. Any way after a while I have it set up to side arm launch and she flies without any stick input from me giving me time to get back onto the sticks!

Paint job is so-so, I used the Krylon rattle cans (H2O) but it bled under the masking tape (bottom of wing), on the top I used no tape and just tried to blend it in. Orange and Blue ( U F Gator colors, keeps my wife happy ).

Lee I copied one of your bottom paint schemes and you are correct it shows up nice.

I love the bounce on unplanned "landings", it must bounce 5 feet straight up!

What is the trick to landing? All of my landings tumbled.

Thanks for a GREAT Wing.

Mike
spad7 is offline Find More Posts by spad7
Old Jul 11, 2009, 04:26 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,872 Posts
Lee, here is the Assasin I picked up from you a couple weeks ago at the sod farm. Flys great. The paint technique I used was a little bit of spray ahesive first, then light blue base on the top followed by darker blue, then black on some templates I cut out of some poster board to come up with the blue camo. All paint was the short cuts paint. Then the bottom was simply tape to mask and sprayed a couple colors and left the EPP white on the masked areas. After it dried I applied a small amount of spray adhesive again and then applied some 3 mil laminate and then the extreme tape on edges.
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G
Old Jul 11, 2009, 04:27 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spad7
My Assassin, maiden today went GREAT, this wing really moves and then slows down for some in close tooling around!

18.5 AUW seems heavy but she climbs out nice, took me quite a few flights to get her dialed in, I have an older computer radio, the trims work fine, but when I went into the programing to try to duplicate the trim settings everything seems different. Any way after a while I have it set up to side arm launch and she flies without any stick input from me giving me time to get back onto the sticks!

Paint job is so-so, I used the Krylon rattle cans (H2O) but it bled under the masking tape (bottom of wing), on the top I used no tape and just tried to blend it in. Orange and Blue ( U F Gator colors, keeps my wife happy ).

Lee I copied one of your bottom paint schemes and you are correct it shows up nice.

I love the bounce on unplanned "landings", it must bounce 5 feet straight up!

What is the trick to landing? All of my landings tumbled.

Thanks for a GREAT Wing.

Mike
The trick on landing is to not nose it in.

If you are getting tip stall when you fly slow check and see that CG is good and land a little faster. Is it tip stalling?

I asked Ryan at www.planeinsanerc.com if he would set up a "Brown Bag" with all of the little stuff that a new flyer might need when he got an Assassin kit. He is one of our club members and has already been setting up some things as a favor for the club. At my request he is now stocking the bidirectional tape too. He is putting it on line for those of you who don't want to have to chase things down. I appreciate him doing this for us.

http://www.planeinsanerc.com/index.php?PageID=122#848
Old Jul 11, 2009, 07:33 PM
what is a rudder for?
Sarasota, Fl
Joined Jan 2005
101 Posts
Now that I have it trimmed out I can enjoy a few flights tommorow and try for some faster landings. Thanks for the help.

Of course if I just caught it like you do in the video's then I would not have this problem!

Mike
spad7 is offline Find More Posts by spad7
Old Jul 11, 2009, 10:24 PM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
I finally had a chance to build and fly my assassin. I tried to follow the instructions the best I could but my laptop kept crappin out on me so I had no idea where the CG was. I flew Lees plane a few weeks ago and I though mine would fly the exact same so I threw it up in my neighborhood. Big mistake! After I crash landed it in front of the neighbors house (4 houses down and across the street), I decided to check the instruction on another computer. I searched for instructions on the CG and it looks like I was very, very, very nose heavy. I loaded some rocks in front of the motor mount and walla! Up and flying. I still need to do some tweaking. I cant wait to throw this thing up in combat with a wireless camera on it. I think I'll remove the rocks and add the camera to balance the plane.

Thanks for the plug Lee. I have a couple of the Assassin Brown Bag kits in stock and I'll replenish as needed.
Ryan
chicken hawk is offline Find More Posts by chicken hawk
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:16 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Night flying

Lee, I recall you were talking about getting into more night flying, and found lights brighter than Xmas tree lights. Someone on the heli side has been toying with these from HC. Looks like they would work great on an Assassin:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5478

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5483

Also, was flying the Father-in-Law's Assassin today, and MAN what a difference a 30C battery makes. Straight vertical barrel rolls are a cinch!
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:52 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus
Lee, I recall you were talking about getting into more night flying, and found lights brighter than Xmas tree lights. Someone on the heli side has been toying with these from HC. Looks like they would work great on an Assassin:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5478

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5483

Also, was flying the Father-in-Law's Assassin today, and MAN what a difference a 30C battery makes. Straight vertical barrel rolls are a cinch!
Would you believe I ordered some of all 5 colors this morning???!!!!.

Last night I went to a night fly in SLC and saw the LED strips in action for the first time. I don't think the individual LEDs lights in the strips are as bright as the LEDs I have been using but as a group they look great and are much easier to work with. In the past I have been able to aim the lights at the plane and these lights only point straight up but they do look good.

The LEDs don't use much power. A plane with about a hundred lights on in was only using one amp and the plane was so bright it could be seen for a mile.

I try to have a couple of night planes always ready to fly during the summer.

Lee

Last edited by Lee; Jul 12, 2009 at 05:36 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:46 AM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Shame... I would have had you order double and split shipping with you... Looks like they'll be easy to install if nothing else.

We were flying in moderate wind today, and at times, at low throttle, I could hover the plane like a kite. Having never flown a glider before, it was a new experience, and the ease of flying these wings continues to amaze me.

Now back to the build of my new 500 Protos heli... crazy what can be done with these things:

Tareq Alsaadi flying his MSH Protos at Night (3 min 43 sec)
Old Jul 12, 2009, 05:50 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,178 Posts
Shipping changed a few months ago. It used to save money to get the big orders together but it isn't so much that way anymore. I think shipping for just the lights was quite reasonable because they are small and light weight. It's when I start adding the batteries and motors and big boxes for kits and carbon rods that the shipping cost goes up fast.

Here is a link to the lights: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0&ParentCat=58

The glow wire looks cool but isn't bright enough. I highly recommend the LEDs.

We have the same problem when we are shipping the kits. We considered the shipping implications when we designed the Assassin. TJ has been shipping overseas and that is even more of a challenge.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 11:22 AM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
I have to agree those light from Hobby City are really bright. I put 1 and a half strings on a tricopter. I turned them on and asked my wife if they were bright enough. As the lights came on, she squinted her eyes and said "oh ya, I think there bright enough". I have flown it twice now. Don't look directly at the lights or everywhere you look you will see them.

Ryan
chicken hawk is offline Find More Posts by chicken hawk
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:14 PM
Bailey CO
Joined Mar 2009
19 Posts
Lee,
I'm having a blast learning to fly the assassin. As a second plane it is quite the step up from my SloStick. Unbelievable acceleration and speed yet slows down nicely. I now feel very comfortable with it after only 4 batteries worth of flights. On one of the earlier flights I had forgotten that I had my dual rates set on the lower setting while trying to figure out the best way to set up dual rates for training a friend. I drove it into the ground at what I'm sure was over 50mph. No dammage! but I did bend the motor mount slightly - what is the optimal angle to bend it back to? Also, the horns that shipped with your recommended servos broke easily and after replacing them with the round ones I have had no other problems. Iím recommending that an HK order that includes the round horns for these servos:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=8610 but I canít seem to find on HK where to get them. Can you provide a link to where you get yours? My hobby store does not carry them.

Thanks,
Ben
hobgood is offline Find More Posts by hobgood
Old Jul 12, 2009, 01:52 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobgood
Lee,
I'm having a blast learning to fly the assassin. As a second plane it is quite the step up from my SloStick. Unbelievable acceleration and speed yet slows down nicely. I now feel very comfortable with it after only 4 batteries worth of flights. On one of the earlier flights I had forgotten that I had my dual rates set on the lower setting while trying to figure out the best way to set up dual rates for training a friend. I drove it into the ground at what I'm sure was over 50mph. No dammage! but I did bend the motor mount slightly - what is the optimal angle to bend it back to? Also, the horns that shipped with your recommended servos broke easily and after replacing them with the round ones I have had no other problems. Iím recommending that an HK order that includes the round horns for these servos:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=8610 but I canít seem to find on HK where to get them. Can you provide a link to where you get yours? My hobby store does not carry them.

Thanks,
Ben
Hi Ben

The motor mount is angled by the bottom of the wing so bend the mount to 90% will give you the right angle.

I have only limited experience with the HK MG servos. I don't know what size of horns they use.

The servos I am using, the HS82MGs, come with round horns I have had to replace gear sets in enough servos that I only am using the MG servos now for combat. So far I haven't broken a MG servo.

Lee
Old Jul 12, 2009, 02:06 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Lee,

Thanks,
Ben

Maybe you can try these...

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s....16sec_/_17.4g

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Jul 12, 2009, 07:39 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Quote:
Iím recommending that an HK order that includes the round horns for these servos:

Thanks,
Ben
I picked up 4 of those servos. Not only are the servo horns flimsy, but they forgot to thread the output shaft for the servo horns. had to force some screws into the things.

HS-82MG are only about $20, and are really quite good.