HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:10 AM
illinois
Joined Jun 2001
594 Posts
Lee, found this thread a week or two ago and have become very curious about a wing without fins. Is the same airfoil used at the root and tip for the Assassin and Pinata? Do you cut any twist/washout into the cores?
wim5150 is offline Find More Posts by wim5150
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:32 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wim5150
Lee, found this thread a week or two ago and have become very curious about a wing without fins. Is the same airfoil used at the root and tip for the Assassin and Pinata? Do you cut any twist/washout into the cores?
The Assassin and the Pinata use the same airfoil from root to the tip. The new Pinata is a more swept version of the Assassin that uses the same airfoil and has been upgraded to the 1.9 lb EPP elevons too. The Pinata looks a little sportier but the Assassin is easier to set up and has more prop clearance and so it is my favorite.

If you look at the airfoil you would not guess the plane would fly like it does. The thick airfoil designed to protect the battery and radio in combat and for beginners has proven to be one of the best performance airfoils at the field. I can fly slower than any of the other combat worthy planes at the field but still have a 70 mph top end which is a great range for combat. We can put big motors and batteries on them and force them to fly 100+ but that is not the goal for this plane. It is designed for small field and low hour pilots that don't want to upset the neighbors and for combat clubs that want an inexpensive durable plane, that will fit in a small trunk, that can take the hits without structural failure.

I did not put any washout or twist in the wings. I designed this plane to be a fully aerobatic plane and washout or twist comes back to haunt you in inverted flight, axle rolls and outside loops.

We have comparing yaw in similar sized planes with and without fins. The Assassin design really is as stable and perform as well as similar planes with fins at all speeds.

Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jun 25, 2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:55 AM
Germany
Joined Jun 2009
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico John
Hey Robert, I just ran out to the garage and took some measurements, had to make it quick though, it's going to be 100 degrees today, hot...
Formica is a laminate, it's used on counter tops and table tops and can be made to look like wood or just about any color or desige. The Formica I have measured 1mm thick, it's hard and brittle and chips when cut with a saw. In manufacturing the product is glued to the counter and then the excess ground off with a router. I found some excess Formica at a local counter top shop, they sold us a left over piece for a few dollars.
The elevons on our Agressissor, taped up, measured 9mm and as is detailed in the construction thread were very weak and bendable until I got them completly taped up with the bidirectional tape. I used the iron to melt the adhesive but be careful to not over heat the iron, the tape will melt and be caerfult to avoid warping the elevon.
I hope this helps you Robert. Anyone else care to chime in?
Thank you Chico John
After your description I think the german word for formica is "Funier"
I'll order some 9mm EPP and will try to build new elevons

Robert77
Robert77 is offline Find More Posts by Robert77
Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:29 AM
Los Angeles Area
Joined Dec 2005
483 Posts
Almost done with my asassin, I will post pics later. Got the motor to install no bigge, and servos and elevons and I'm ready to take her out for a spin. Possibly tomorrow or saturday but I'm sure I'll get it done tommorrow. The suspense is killing me
Jimmi is offline Find More Posts by Jimmi
Old Jun 26, 2009, 08:06 AM
illinois
Joined Jun 2001
594 Posts
Thank you Lee!
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:27 AM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
"Funier"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert77
Thank you Chico John
After your description I think the german word for formica is "Funier"
I'll order some 9mm EPP and will try to build new elevons

Robert77
Your most welcom Robert, I hope you will post pictures and tell us how you like to fly the plane when you done.
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:06 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi
Almost done with my asassin, I will post pics later. Got the motor to install no bigge, and servos and elevons and I'm ready to take her out for a spin. Possibly tomorrow or saturday but I'm sure I'll get it done tommorrow. The suspense is killing me
Please post pictures to show what you have done.

Lee
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:47 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,944 Posts
A little power sloping with the Assassin.

Assassin Power Sloping (4 min 23 sec)
Old Jun 27, 2009, 01:53 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,768 Posts
Lee that is a beautifull slope,must be nice to have such a cool place so close.

Ck
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Jun 27, 2009, 02:07 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Jealous Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by klique
Lee that is a beautifull slope,must be nice to have such a cool place so close.

Ck
Yea man I'm jealous too, looks like a great place to fly. And I bet you just drive right up to it. Right Lee?
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:28 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,944 Posts
I messed up on the video and erased part of it but here are a couple of combat hits.

The most interesting part of Jon's Assassin is how it is covered. It is covered with a laminate and painted with regular Krylon paint from a can. He says he did not use a spray adhesive before the laminate or to prep the laminate for paint.

I asked him if he would post instructions. This laminate is not expensive per square foot. His paint job looks like auto body and the paint seems to stick. We were trying to knock the paint off but it is amazingly durable. Great looking plane!!!!

Assassin combat.#7 (1 min 50 sec)
Last edited by Lee; Jun 28, 2009 at 01:53 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:51 AM
Lakeside, CA
Joined Oct 2005
160 Posts
Here's mine post crash damage. Broken control horn and prop. Was doing an inverted pass about waist high, got to the edge of the field and wham, it was just slammed into the ground. Got a post "crash" comment of, yeah, when the wind is from that direction it gets turbulent over there. Oh well, it's already repaired. Only one other epp wing out today, we did combat, and I won by default 2 times, he crashed both times when we got close to the ground. This thing is sparking some interest, may need to get more.

Watching Lee's videos, and running about 100/60 differential right now, it almost rolls straight, may need to add some more deflection. What are you running for differential in the elevons? I'll try 50% down tomorrow, and see which way it takes me. Oh what prop are you running in that "power sloping" video?

markw365 is offline Find More Posts by markw365
Last edited by markw365; Jun 28, 2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 07:58 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markw365
Here's mine post crash damage. Broken control horn and prop. Was doing an inverted pass about waist high, got to the edge of the field and wham, it was just slammed into the ground. Got a post "crash" comment of, yeah, when the wind is from that direction it gets turbulent over there. Oh well, it's already repaired. Only one other epp wing out today, we did combat, and I won by default 2 times, he crashed both times when we got close to the ground. This thing is sparking some interest, may need to get more.

Watching Lee's videos, and running about 100/60 differential right now, it almost rolls straight, may need to add some more deflection. What are you running for differential in the elevons? I'll try 50% down tomorrow, and see which way it takes me. Oh what prop are you running in that "power sloping" video?
I am using less differential with the motor tipped the angle we have it on the mount. On my old planes I ran about 40% up to 60% down. I would mechanically set it up by turning the servo arm a couple of clicks forward on each side.

I am using the 7x6 prop listed in the Beginners Shopping List we did. This prop is not only the best deal but it is quieter than any others we have tried.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...51&postcount=1

Lee

Last edited by Lee; Jun 28, 2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 07:30 PM
illinois
Joined Jun 2001
594 Posts
Lee, been watching some of the great video. Nice work, camera seems to do a great job!

What would you estimate the wind speeds to be in videos #4 & #5 ?
Very impressive flying in the wind.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:47 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wim5150
Lee, been watching some of the great video. Nice work, camera seems to do a great job!

What would you estimate the wind speeds to be in videos #4 & #5 ?
Very impressive flying in the wind.
In video #4 of the low speed flying the wind was probably 15+/-mph.

In the #5 if that is where Scott was flying the wind near the ground was 20+ and up in the air it was probably 30+.

The big wind was 2 Saturdays ago as a storm front moved in. I was flying the Assassin wide open throttle and could hardly make headway. I cut back to half throttle and the plane flew backwards over my head. We can easily get the plane to 65-70 mph on the speed gun on a windless day so I would guess the wind was close to 45-50 mph.

I am not afraid of wind. I spent years flying slope on some of the best slopes in the world and 30+ mph was a reason to go to the mountain not a reason to go home. I'm sure some of the wind I have flown has been 50+ mph.

I am going to go find a video I want you to see combat in the wind. When your planes don't break when they wreck it isn't a big deal to to put them up in the wind. I flew in a big dust devil the other day too.

This video isn't downloading tonight for me. Hope you have better luck.

http://www.vimeo.com/152033

Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jun 29, 2009 at 11:42 PM.