HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2009, 04:59 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
565 Posts
OK, you have linkage going to the elevon. Keeps the servos in closer away from the wingtips, which is good. Yep, that would be a solution.
cliffo is offline Find More Posts by cliffo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2009, 05:03 PM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
That is a good idea but so far I haven't had any problems with my control horns breaking. Well.. Actually one did come out once but it was just a quick hot glue gun fix. The funny thing is I don't even have the control horns like is recommended. I cut them short because I thought they were too long I didn't realize they were supposed to stick out both sides with glue on each side which makes sense. Next one I build I can put everything I learned on this one into.

Man I love this plane...
rdbell is offline Find More Posts by rdbell
Old Dec 30, 2009, 05:09 PM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffo View Post
OK, you have linkage going to the elevon. Keeps the servos in closer away from the wingtips, which is good. Yep, that would be a solution.
YEP. I thought I had a better picture of it somewhere but cant find it anywhere. Its just a stiff wire bent in 2 places. On end goes along the edge of the elevon and taped in place. Other end sticks up a bit with a control horn like old school torque rods did. I am very happy with this setup as it has proved very durable in very heavy combat useage.
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Dec 30, 2009, 06:47 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,309 Posts
Jon is talking about the servo arms and servo savers and I am talking about the nylon elevon horns. Opposite ends of the same push rod.

The 160 lb test nylon horns we are using are holding up better than the purchased molded horns we used to use. I have never broken one of the new horns but I have seen them broken. Considering what we do to them in combat I'm not surprised. It's part of the reason I'm glad to be done with the broken fins and balsa elevons.

I have had a couple of horns work loose in the foam and so I have been adding a little skewer of small piece of carbon to stiffen the foam and reinforce the horn which I showed in the video.

If someone breaks a horn I recommend that they don't cut it out just trim the tip off and cut a slit and put another one next to the broken one so that you can still do field repairs without ending up with a big hole in the elevon. These horns are hard to get out if glued in correctly.

I'm always looking for better ideas so if you have any speak up, we want to hear from you.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Dec 30, 2009, 08:51 PM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
I picked up a new camera today at Best Buy. Panasonic HS250. High Def. I got a really good deal lol I'll probably be putting on some videos on youtube pretty soon. It's got this cool tracking thing where you just tap the subject and it follows it and focuses on it so it should be good for recording flights.
rdbell is offline Find More Posts by rdbell
Old Dec 30, 2009, 09:48 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,510 Posts
Got the shipment of my wings today (damn that was fast!). Stupid noob question: which side of the laminate gets ironed on the wing? I'm assuming it's the non-shiny side that has the adhesive.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:05 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
Got the shipment of my wings today (damn that was fast!). Stupid noob question: which side of the laminate gets ironed on the wing? I'm assuming it's the non-shiny side that has the adhesive.
Your right, the non shiny side of the laminate goes towards the foam. It will stick to the EPP even without a spray adhesive.

Lee
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:12 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,510 Posts
That's what I thought but I wasn't sure. Thanks!
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Dec 31, 2009, 05:27 AM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
No.. .. the picture is without focus, we can not see the links details..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Dec 31, 2009, 05:28 AM
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Could you please post some pictures details?

Tks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
I had my first in flight failure, which involved the servo arm ON THE SERVO itself snapping off in flight. This was on the side where instead of replacing the servo horn when it broke, I epoxied it to another horn that I stuck in there. It turned into a VERY rigid fixture.

What I have found is that the zip-tie horns actually take the abuse well and snap if needed, saving the servos and servo arms. Too rigid, and something else along the way down will snap.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 06:06 AM
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Hi friends,

Sometime ago I went to the www.utahflyers.org and got LeeŽs foam cutting tutorial and found plans to be used.
I made the Assassin airfoil using an airfoil similar to the Clark Y 18%, as the following instructions:

“8. Make your one piece jig as described in the foam cutting text using the top of the SD7032 airfoil over
the bottom of the SD6060 enlarged to 9".

My foam cutter has 39" cutting area, and IŽll follow LeeŽs instructions to cut the cores without variation,
As IŽll cut a wing with is 24" long, that means the anchor will be around 48" from the jig.

IŽve already tried to cut the cores some time ago, but when I were cutting with my foam cutter, I was lazy
in the cutting speed and I damaged the foam. Now I have tu buy a new block and try again..

Below some pictures from my foam cutter and the first wing I did (not the assassin yet ) Also a picture from the jig I did.

Thanks again Lee for all of your help.

Happy New Year for all!!
Old Dec 31, 2009, 06:09 AM
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
I forgot...

Also a picture from the jig I did:
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:09 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,309 Posts
I just bought a couple of these to tape to the Assassin, Titan, and Roswell for some bird's eye video. I have been waiting for a light and simple video camera that is a start and fly to get the effect of hitting streamers and flying limbo that wasn't so expensive that I would feel bad if they got destroyed.

I know our club is ordering several so it should add some fun video to these sites.

http://www.chucklohr.com/808/#SystemMode
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:44 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
What great fun! In-flight battle video from multiple viewpoints will be a blast, and these new Keychain cams have the lens in a much more convenient spot then my gum-stick cam.
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:52 PM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,444 Posts
Check out this video made with one of these key chain cameras. http://exposureroom.com/members/Flyp...f271ca77e739d/ I hope we can remedy the wavy problem when under power.
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase