HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2009, 01:26 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom83 View Post
Does anyone think this will make it faster?
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...jet-p-765.html
Tom
It's more expensive, I don't know about performance. What can you get at Hobby King?
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2009, 03:35 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,011 Posts
I have flown extensively with Razor 400 can motors, BP21s, CF2812s and the Turnigy C2826-1650 on the Assassin.

All have worked well. The CF2812 stood out because of the low noise and performance vs low cost. We are comitted to making easy to fly combat planes that are durable and affordable. Often it is the electronics that are driving up the price.

We are open to suggestions and if you have good success with that motor combination let us know and we may try it too. From experience I have learned to test and fly a motor before I endorse it but you can recommend any motor you like.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Dec 20, 2009, 03:45 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,011 Posts
Several of our new flyers have never flown elevons and have had some questions. For most of you this is nothing new but there are flyers that need a little coaching on setting up the elevons.

Preflight of a flying wing #2 12-09 (4 min 17 sec)
Old Dec 22, 2009, 09:39 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
We three kings with Assassins in S. Central Texas are very happy with our planes. Looks like our focus is changing. We may never go back. Having too much fun.

What is strange is that often we will finish a flying session with unintended damage to our planes before we tried combat. Last weekend we were intentionally trying to hurt our planes and none had any damage.
cliffo is offline Find More Posts by cliffo
Last edited by cliffo; Jan 21, 2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:56 AM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,964 Posts
Also now when you damage a combat plane it's usually from some cool hit.
jwjohnson is offline Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Old Dec 22, 2009, 01:55 PM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom83 View Post
Does anyone think this will make it faster?
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...jet-p-765.html
Tom
I've used this motor on the assassin... It was v2 though, they just came out with v3. v2 was a little bit different kv so it liked a 5x5 better but now they say its supposed to put out something like 22-23 ounces of thrust with a 6x4. right now im using the parkjet motor which is a little bit bigger than the microjet from graysonhobby. they both worked great for me.
rdbell is online now Find More Posts by rdbell
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:13 PM
Rather be flyin
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Mar 2008
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbell View Post
I've used this motor on the assassin... It was v2 though, they just came out with v3. v2 was a little bit different kv so it liked a 5x5 better but now they say its supposed to put out something like 22-23 ounces of thrust with a 6x4. right now im using the parkjet motor which is a little bit bigger than the microjet from graysonhobby. they both worked great for me.
Do you think there will be much of a sound difference between the 6X4 and the 7X6 prop using the v3?
tom83 is offline Find More Posts by tom83
Old Dec 26, 2009, 12:05 PM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
Personally it doesn't bother me. I'm using a 6x4 on mine now and I like the sound. It's not so high pitched that it hurts your ears. A 7x6 may sound a lot nicer but I dunno I've never used/heard one.

And a great thing about the microjet is how light it is... They're good motors.
rdbell is online now Find More Posts by rdbell
Old Dec 26, 2009, 01:46 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,011 Posts
The prop size and RPM make a big difference in the sound level. Watch the videos and notice the difference in the sound levels between the planes. Sound level has been more important to me as we try to fly anonymously in the local parks. We have been more prone to use smaller props with the flying wings. The sound from some flying wings is horrible and may add to the general lack of acceptance that the flying wings have even among the RC community. Noisy planes are a good way to get the neighbors angry and loose the flying fields. They don't complain if they don't know your there.

Increasing the prop size helps but it still makes some noise. If I could make it quieter I would. The pusher prop is part of the problem. I ust the same motor and battery set up in some of the nose mount planes I build and they are quieter.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:43 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,502 Posts
Well, I just spent my Christmas money. I ordered 2 of the Assassin kits. I'm going to power one with a TowerPro 2409-12T only because it works so well on my 2 Wing Dragon/Begin Air planes. They're a portly 1.5lbs and will go over 70mph, so it should scoot the Assassin along nicely. Now I just need to finish up the other 2 planes on the bench.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Dec 27, 2009, 07:04 PM
United States, NM, Alamogordo
Joined May 2009
100 Posts
Some Assassin Limbo from this morning!

Assassian Combat Wing LIMBO! (5 min 38 sec)
alamogordo is offline Find More Posts by alamogordo
Old Dec 27, 2009, 09:22 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
Well, I just spent my Christmas money. I ordered 2 of the Assassin kits. I'm going to power one with a TowerPro 2409-12T only because it works so well on my 2 Wing Dragon/Begin Air planes. They're a portly 1.5lbs and will go over 70mph, so it should scoot the Assassin along nicely. Now I just need to finish up the other 2 planes on the bench.
You'll like the Assassins. Which prop are you thinking of using?

I like the limbo. I have two sets of limbo poles for the different activities we do in our club.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:00 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,502 Posts
I'll probably use a Master Airscrew S2 Series 7x4 as they pull close to 185w at 17A with the 2409-12T. This is what I use on my 2 Wing Dragons/ Begin Air planes and it works very well. I may try a 6x5.5 and see what I get on the watt meter.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Dec 29, 2009, 01:25 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,393 Posts
I need to build one for me asap...
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Dec 29, 2009, 04:19 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
Great fun these Assassins, and park friendly.
cliffo is offline Find More Posts by cliffo
Last edited by cliffo; Jan 21, 2010 at 08:50 PM.