Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 26, 2009, 05:36 PM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
I have the same problem G-unit, though it's not as bad as it was when I first started flying it. I think it's a CG thing. Now it only does it if I let it get next to zero airspeed and stall it lol
rdbell is online now Find More Posts by rdbell
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2009, 05:42 PM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbell View Post
I have the same problem G-unit, though it's not as bad as it was when I first started flying it. I think it's a CG thing. Now it only does it if I let it get next to zero airspeed and stall it lol
What did u find that made it do it??

Thanks G
G-unit is offline Find More Posts by G-unit
Old Nov 26, 2009, 05:43 PM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
There might be slop in the servo horns or on the servos themselves. Motor angle shouldn't cause too much movement, it will just throw off trim.
I will look at that.
Thanks G
G-unit is offline Find More Posts by G-unit
Old Nov 27, 2009, 06:36 AM
Gahanna Ohio
Joined Jul 2007
29 Posts
Will a DX5e work for the assassin????? Im thinking of getting my son a Assassin for xmas and he has a DX5e.
Thanks guy.
jmccoy62003 is offline Find More Posts by jmccoy62003
Old Nov 27, 2009, 07:13 AM
A real WingNut
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2008
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccoy62003 View Post
Will a DX5e work for the assassin????? Im thinking of getting my son a Assassin for xmas and he has a DX5e.
Thanks guy.
It will work, you won't have all the options you have with a higher grade radio. and you'll have to strip the plastic cover off the Spektrum rx to fit it inside the wing. When I first started flying wings I used a DX5e.
j4ck4 is offline Find More Posts by j4ck4
Old Nov 27, 2009, 09:06 AM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
I put a bit heavier motor on which moved the cg back and I changed the push rods to some thicker ones. Now it flies really smooth. No wobble.

I just got in from flying with my buddy out behind the house. He crashed his nitro into a tree (the only tree in the field). It was pretty dang awesome lol. I was dive bombing him when he was walking to the truck across the field :P I couldn't hardly fly I was laughing so hard. He was diving out of the way onto the ground and crawling! :P I know it's not the safest thing to be doing but I already hit him once on accident and it just bounced off lol
rdbell is online now Find More Posts by rdbell
Old Nov 27, 2009, 01:08 PM
Joined Dec 2005
11 Posts
Looking at the Assassin kit stainless motor mount, when taped onto the formica looks like up thrust to me.
Since it is behind the center of gravity with the aft end of the prop shaft (the spinner)is higher than the fwd...leading end of the shaft...(motor mount) it is pushing down on the trailing edge of the wing, providing up thrust.
I assume this is the optimum angle for the mount? If not, it would have come bent at an angle other than 90 ' it is wouldn't it?
I assume it should be built as the supplied parts dictate...?
drona is offline Find More Posts by drona
Old Nov 27, 2009, 02:52 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
DX5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccoy62003 View Post
Thanks guy.
We have two one in a Pinata and the other in an Assassin and they work just fine.
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old Dec 01, 2009, 09:59 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
564 Posts
Cool full contact combat!
cliffo is offline Find More Posts by cliffo
Old Dec 01, 2009, 04:15 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
After the many questions I have received I have started shooting a video just on how to do the elevons that will fit in with the other building videos that are in post #2.

In the new video the elevons are taped with one layer of the Scotch extreme tape and one layer of the UV protected laminate is put over the top. The hinges are also made of the extreme tape with a layer of laminate to keep them from drying out and UV damage.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Dec 01, 2009, 09:31 PM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Lee, I recently rebuilt the Assassin to burry by LEDs into the foam after some unfortunate scrapes on a tree at night, which sheared off several LEDs

It was my first chance to use the lamanite. I gave the elevons one layer of tape, and hinged them on prior to laminating. I then did the wing top as two halves, covering the wing and elevon with o e continuous piece. I did the same for the bottom, cutting the laminate at the hinge after it was done.

So far, it's holding up fine. It is much lighter now, and produces a tie fighter noise from the air moving so rapidly over the foil. I love to full throttle it, and then cut the throttle to let it glide over my head As it flies by, just to hear that sweet sound!
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old Dec 02, 2009, 01:34 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemachus View Post
Lee, I recently rebuilt the Assassin to burry by LEDs into the foam after some unfortunate scrapes on a tree at night, which sheared off several LEDs

It was my first chance to use the lamanite. I gave the elevons one layer of tape, and hinged them on prior to laminating. I then did the wing top as two halves, covering the wing and elevon with o e continuous piece. I did the same for the bottom, cutting the laminate at the hinge after it was done.

So far, it's holding up fine. It is much lighter now, and produces a tie fighter noise from the air moving so rapidly over the foil. I love to full throttle it, and then cut the throttle to let it glide over my head As it flies by, just to hear that sweet sound!
For those of you who don't know what he is refering to, the Assassin and the Titan have a soft wind rushing sound that is almost like a jet engine. We assume it is the exposed radio the wing tips or the bomb drop but people love the sound.

I want to build one of the Titans with lights. I'm planning on cutting a slot with the soldering iron and putting the LED lights and wires in the slot then covering them with the laminate. I love flying at night, until the sprinklers come on and are spraying in my flight box while I have a plane up.

I have used just the laminate alone as a hinge on some planes too. It is enough until you get into combat and get the elevons ripped off by Todd and Jeff and others. I had someone say that we set the standard high to make the planes combat proof. We're trying and never satisfied.

Lee

Last edited by Lee; Dec 02, 2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2009, 08:38 AM
Heli Humbled Daily
Riverside, CA
Joined Jul 2006
2,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post

I want to build one of the Titans with lights. I'm planning on cutting a slot with the soldering iron and putting the LED lights and wires in the slot then covering them with the laminate. I love flying at night, until the sprinklers come on and are spraying in my flight box while I have a plane up.

Lee

I advised my friend building his Titan to decide where he wants the lights and place them before taping or laminate. That way, they will be buried and well protected.

I also soldered a small dean's connector to the speed controller, that allows you to unplug the lights if you don't want them on during the day. I find that the 3 meters of lights I have on the plane cut down the battery time by about 1 minute.

I also think that it is a good idea to paint the foam prior to laminating and taping. The foam takes spray paint well without any added adhesive, and the tape only skews the color slightly.

Most of the color on mine came off with the tape, and I was too eager to get the laminate on, so I'll have to try some colored tape.
Telemachus is offline Find More Posts by Telemachus
Old Dec 06, 2009, 01:51 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,657 Posts
Aerotowing a 48" glider with my old beat up Assassin. Prop saver messed up during tow release and the planes stayed on tow all the way to the ground.. More details at the link.

Towing with wings.. (1 min 57 sec)
Rotozuk is online now Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old Dec 06, 2009, 03:16 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Aerotowing a 48" glider with my old beat up Assassin. Prop saver messed up during tow release and the planes stayed on tow all the way to the ground.. More details at the link.
That's impressive !!!! I like the "Y" connection to get the plane to tow straight.

What motor did you have on the Assassin?

The Assassin has a lot of lift and a very gentle stall with the thick airfoil. It is probably one of the best 36" tow planes out there.