HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:13 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,932 Posts
After flying an EPP wing for a while it is hard to fly a fragile airplane or heli. I went to a fly-in this week and heard a flyer say his two planes cost him $7500.00 and $5800.00. Theses are good looking big gas planes but they wreck just as easy as the flying wings and the consequences are much different. The cost of his big planes didn't include the trailer he pulls behind his truck to carry them. I have flown big planes and they aren't any funner to fly. What seemed to motive me was being concerned that others would think of what I was flying. It took awhile for me to learn they really don't care.

I love to fly wings. They fly like my brain thinks. I find freedom and a huge relief knowing that I can fly without spending that kind of money and that my planes will last even if they have a hard landing or midair collision.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Feb 27, 2013 at 10:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:48 AM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,133 Posts
The only complaint I have about the flying wing design is not being able to fly knife-edge to pass through narrow obstacles. I mean, if you're a great pilot and can time a perfect roll, maybe. Rudder does have some use.

That being said, all my planes will soon be flying wings, except my T28 Ultra Micro.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:16 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
After flying an EPP wing for a while it is hard to fly a fragile airplane or heli. I went to a fly-in this week and heard a flyer say his two planes cost him $7500.00 and $5800.00. Theses are good looking big gas planes but they wreck just as easy as the flying wings and the consequences are much different. The cost of his big planes didn't include the trailer he pulls behind his truck to carry them. I have flown big planes and they aren't any funner to fly. What seemed to motive me was being concerned that others would think of what I was flying. It took awhile for me to learn they really don't care.

I love to fly wings. They fly like my brain thinks. I find freedom and a huge relief knowing that I can fly without spending that kind of money and that my planes will last even if they have a hard landing or midair collision.
Well stated Lee and so true
Thanks for bringing these awsome flying machines into the world of RC
foamyflyerr is online now Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:05 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I find freedom and a huge relief knowing that I can fly without spending that kind of money and that my planes will last even if they have a hard landing or midair collision.
Another issue that you didn't mention, but I think is really important, is that those $5,000 to $7,000 planes can really do considerable damage to people and property. CTH planes are SO much safer. I'm not suggesting we ignore common sense safety precautions, but it would take a really freak accident to do serious damage to someone or something with an Assassin, or even a Hercules. It could happen, but it's 1000 times less likely than with one of those $7,000 gasoline powered planes with the 24" carbon props.

There's a club where I live that's slowly losing membership. I think it's because people who want to fly light weight foam electrics are intimidated by the big planes. I, for one, will not stand on the flight line when the 40 pound turbine powered jets are spinning up.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:39 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
Another issue that you didn't mention, but I think is really important, is that those $5,000 to $7,000 planes can really do considerable damage to people and property. CTH planes are SO much safer. I'm not suggesting we ignore common sense safety precautions, but it would take a really freak accident to do serious damage to someone or something with an Assassin, or even a Hercules. It could happen, but it's 1000 times less likely than with one of those $7,000 gasoline powered planes with the 24" carbon props.

There's a club where I live that's slowly losing membership. I think it's because people who want to fly light weight foam electrics are intimidated by the big planes. I, for one, will not stand on the flight line when the 40 pound turbine powered jets are spinning up.
Sure, they can be dangerous, but in all likelihood you are probably at more risk just driving to the field then while you are there.

Generally, the people who take the time and money to build the large 80"+ planes will have the experience and skill to fly them safely. Of course there are always going to be accidents and mechanical/electrical failures, but that is a risk you take in life everywhere you go.

At my local field I trust the guys with the bigger and more expensive stuff as they've generally proven themselves to be skilled pilots and to build things right. The guys who cheap out on everything or are new to the hobby scare me a lot more.
nofreee is offline Find More Posts by nofreee
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:31 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,932 Posts
If you take a survey of how long some one has owned and regularly flown a plane and you compare the big planes to EPP wings you will see that bigger more complex planes have bigger and more frequent and complex problems. Retract able landing gear and longer range radios and having to hit the runway in a cross wind are a few examples. I have almost forgotten what a dead stick landing is.

One of my biggest concerns at the fly in was the noise. I have some hearing difficulty and the noise those big motors make was actually painful. I'm taking ear plugs next time.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:27 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,125 Posts
I've only been flying RC planes for about 1 1/2 to 2 years now, and only fly electric powered. I really wanted to fly 3D, but found out it not as easy as the video's make it look! my largest plane is a 51" Sabre x. I've gotten good at pattern flying, loop's & roll's and what not, but the assassin flying wing caught my attention, and I have got the bug now! it's all I want to fly! Going with a Widowmaker next!
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:24 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,234 Posts
3D video's pulled me back into the hobby and after two years I can fly some 3D fairly well but the confidence a wing builds can't be beat. Fly a wing for a while and get it down and 3D becomes easy. I now fly my Assassin as warm up to fly 3D
whirlcap is online now Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:07 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
3D video's pulled me back into the hobby and after two years I can fly some 3D fairly well but the confidence a wing builds can't be beat. Fly a wing for a while and get it down and 3D becomes easy. I now fly my Assassin as warm up to fly 3D
+1 DJ
My flight instructor in one of his buddies showed up at the airfield with a couple of pop wings. They started doing things I've never seen before, put ribbons on the backs of these things that chasing each other around doing all kinds of maneuvers. At that time I hadn't even soloed yet. All I knew was that recall combat wings. A search led me to crash test hobby and the remarkable plane, the Assassin. I what's the videos and I had to have me one of these.

First order of business, justification! Fortunately I have good imagination, I'm a sculptor. I bought it as a 'reflex trainer'. How about that? I built it, decorated it and took it out and learn to fly it.

I realize I'm really not adding anything to the conversation other than to express my love for this flying thing.

But I'll keep going. And now I've discovered the Titan. A 5 foot long version of the assassin and I have an idea. Since the airfoil is so thick I might be able to make the cleanest flying wing in the world and nearby planets if I could make everything electronic disappear. So I built the Titan everything in the body nothing Expo except for two servo arms on top and some push rods. I am flown it yet but this thing is just too cool for school. It's not going to be a fighter, it's too beautiful for combat. It will be my cruiser, my aerobatics plane, my FPV plane.

For me and probably only me, winglets will never happen. I'll never own the plane that must fly them.

I know this is not a Titan thread and there may be one, but I see this as one plane at two different scales. For me it's turned into my favorite airplane is for flying fun! I think it is a great second airplane, and can lay down the foundation for a lot of your future flying.

Without winglets it Is a reflection of all of the experimental flying wings from the Northrop N-plane,Name: Northrop_N-1M_Udvar-Hazy.jpg
Views: 50
Size: 18.9 KB
Description: Northrop YB-49Name: Northrop YB-49.jpg
Views: 39
Size: 8.1 KB
Description: to the to the context fulfilled in the Boeing B-2 Spirit.Name: USAF_B-2_Spirit.jpg
Views: 44
Size: 11.9 KB
Description: .

DJ
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor
Last edited by Sculptor; Feb 28, 2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:25 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,932 Posts
Here is a link to the Titan Thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1121604

Watch Randy and his Reaper. He built is plane light. he is a good 3D flyer.

Reaper Stunts - Randy 9-12 (5 min 45 sec)
Old Mar 01, 2013, 03:51 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Ordered my Assassin the other day..
Can't wait for it to arrive..

Sean
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:22 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
I'm already feeling the effect! and I think I caught on to the wing right off the bat! the vid I posted a few posts back was only my 3rd time to fly it! but I do feel more confident with my 3Der's after flying the assassin!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:27 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
+1 DJ
My flight instructor in one of his buddies showed up at the airfield with a couple of pop wings. They started doing things I've never seen before, put ribbons on the backs of these things that chasing each other around doing all kinds of maneuvers. At that time I hadn't even soloed yet. All I knew was that recall combat wings. A search led me to crash test hobby and the remarkable plane, the Assassin. I what's the videos and I had to have me one of these.

First order of business, justification! Fortunately I have good imagination, I'm a sculptor. I bought it as a 'reflex trainer'. How about that? I built it, decorated it and took it out and learn to fly it.

I realize I'm really not adding anything to the conversation other than to express my love for this flying thing.

But I'll keep going. And now I've discovered the Titan. A 5 foot long version of the assassin and I have an idea. Since the airfoil is so thick I might be able to make the cleanest flying wing in the world and nearby planets if I could make everything electronic disappear. So I built the Titan everything in the body nothing Expo except for two servo arms on top and some push rods. I am flown it yet but this thing is just too cool for school. It's not going to be a fighter, it's too beautiful for combat. It will be my cruiser, my aerobatics plane, my FPV plane.

For me and probably only me, winglets will never happen. I'll never own the plane that must fly them.

I know this is not a Titan thread and there may be one, but I see this as one plane at two different scales. For me it's turned into my favorite airplane is for flying fun! I think it is a great second airplane, and can lay down the foundation for a lot of your future flying.

Without winglets it Is a reflection of all of the experimental flying wings from the Northrop N-plane,Attachment 5575154 Northrop YB-49Attachment 5575155 to the to the context fulfilled in the Boeing B-2 Spirit.Attachment 5575156.

DJ
It's not my livelyhood, but I dabble in the art of sculptor myself with my mobiles! Calder was my inspiration. Tim Rose did some great work too!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:45 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,392 Posts
You won´t be disappointed. Its an amazing toy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
Ordered my Assassin the other day..
Can't wait for it to arrive..

Sean
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Mar 01, 2013, 05:47 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,932 Posts
Here is a video of a 57" Deep Reaper that is almost finless. It shows what a plane can do if it is built light. This 57" wing is flying with the same motor on it we put on the 34" Assassin and Widowmaker. The entire plane weight is 24 oz. I have flown heavier Assassins than that.

24 oz Deep Reaper playing catch (4 min 46 sec)
Last edited by Lee; Mar 01, 2013 at 06:04 PM.