SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:30 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupeloflyer View Post
Never flew anything with elevons when I had my Dx6i? got the Dx8 now and it was a breeze! hope this vid helps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ewa79_9Iq4

Thanks tupeloflyer
That should help alot.
Assassin is coming along nicely.
Graphics is almost all dialed in.
Then its lay in the laminate and CG it and mount all the electronics.
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:41 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,131 Posts
foamyflyerr, I would go with the recommended throws, I went a little heavy on mine on my maiden with my assassin, lost control and almost took out 3 disc golfers walking across the field! diving towards them like a magnet! all I could think to do at the time is yell FOUR!!! they were cool about it, didn't hit anyone... but the beauty of it is, I walked out there, picked it up and chunked it and she was flying again! you can't hurt this thing! I've had 3 suscessful flights now and I would fly combat with no experience in a second! love this thing! think about cashing in that Dx6i and get a Dx8! life will be easier.....
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:43 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupeloflyer View Post
foamyflyerr, I would go with the recommended throws, I went a little heavy on mine on my maiden with my assassin, lost control and almost took out 3 disc golfers walking across the field! diving towards them like a magnet! all I could think to do at the time is yell FOUR!!! they were cool about it, didn't hit anyone... but the beauty of it is, I walked out there, picked it up and chunked it and she was flying again! you can't hurt this thing! I've had 3 suscessful flights now and I would fly combat with no experience in a second! love this thing! think about cashing in that Dx6i and get a Dx8! life will be easier.....
Thanks tupeloflyer. All suggestions and advise is appreciated. I do have the benifit of flying with Blu and Jim every weekend who have both built , flown, and combated thier assassins for quite a while now. Both of them have lent a lot of good build tips and when it comes time to maiden mine I will probably have one of them fly it first.

I have flown Dave's Assassin twice now, the second time was in combat against Jim. I am so stoked about getting mine done and up in the air. I think I am sort of over-thinking it though. I am trying to get the graphics done just perfect. It's gonna be pretty cool when it's done. I have almost 6-7 hours in the build so far. ( First time doing something like this and just taking my time). Still got a bit to go but she's looking very cool so far. Pics to follow as soon as its ready.

Thanks again

Assassin Wings combat 11 11 2012 (4 min 25 sec)

assassin wing soccer with rim shot on goal post (2 min 59 sec)
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:33 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,054 Posts
Looks like you have got the limbo bug. It is and addicting challenge. I liked the hits on the soccer goal, Especially the one on the second video where the plane went into a flat spin.

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:45 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Looks like you have got the limbo bug. It is and addicting challenge. I liked the hits on the soccer goal, Especially the one on the second video where the plane went into a flat spin.

Lee
We have some construction cones laying around out at the field and I am trying to get the guys to try some Assassin Bowling.

For an Italian flair we could always throw out a "pallino" ball down field and try some Assassin Bocce, or put a stake in the ground and try some Assassin Horseshoes.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:36 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,964 Posts
Guys don't pay attention to Foamyflyerr he's the bad trouble making influence of our group! My favorite Assassin challenge is Assassin lawn chair launching!

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:08 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Guys don't pay attention to Foamyflyerr he's the bad trouble making influence of our group! My favorite Assassin challenge is Assassin lawn chair launching!

Blu
Thanks buddy what are friends for
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:24 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
387 Posts
When is the next sWARm? I need to go to SLC sometime in the next few months for work and would like to schedule around it.
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:14 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,131 Posts
These things are so cool!
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:56 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamyflyerr View Post
We have some construction cones laying around out at the field and I am trying to get the guys to try some Assassin Bowling.

For an Italian flair we could always throw out a "pallino" ball down field and try some Assassin Bocce, or put a stake in the ground and try some Assassin Horseshoes.
I have been looking at getting some of the pool noodles that have a hole in the middle and sliding them down over a short post pounded in the grass and lining them up as targets. The advantage is they are a one piece and easy and fast to reset.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:57 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Flyer View Post
When is the next sWARm? I need to go to SLC sometime in the next few months for work and would like to schedule around it.
April 27th 9 AM at the Vinyard Sod Farms
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:15 AM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,138 Posts
I love the CTH planes, but for an FPV plane I can keep in the car I've found a 38" EPP wing with a long chord that handles double 3S batteries and a GoPro+CCD cam very well. I wanted to go with CTH for this purpose, but the Assassin is too small and the GR is too large. Keeping my Assassin for LOS stuff.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:11 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
I love the CTH planes, but for an FPV plane I can keep in the car I've found a 38" EPP wing with a long chord that handles double 3S batteries and a GoPro+CCD cam very well. I wanted to go with CTH for this purpose, but the Assassin is too small and the GR is too large. Keeping my Assassin for LOS stuff.
You could cut a Reaper down to what ever span you want. As long as you get the CG right at about 23% of total wing area and the tip angle right the airfoil will be the same and it will work.

If you want a real sweet camera plane look at our Storm Chaser and the smaller Albatross. They take the stress out of slow flying and camera work.

Lee
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:04 AM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,138 Posts
Lee,

I had considered cutting down a larger plane, but it just didn't sit right with me.

If the DR 61" (including center section) were scaled down 35% to under 40" I think it would be a killer setup. A lot of the guys here want to solo hand launch and go vertical to the clouds as fast as possible, then shoot around for a bit and practically glide home from a few thousand feet up. They're mainly using Swift II's which are imported and have stock issues @ $50/ea.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:36 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,054 Posts
Why are you set on 40"?

I have had several flyers the last couple of weeks that want to load FPV on small planes. Having tried heavily loaded planes myself I can guess how they will fly compared to bigger planes with more wing area. You loose your glide and slow speed performance when planes have high wing loading.

You won't find a stronger plane than the Reaper either.