HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:12 AM
My dog ate my airplane
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
234 Posts
Lee,

Maybe it's just me and my Android tablet but it seems like a lot more scrolling down to see the various airplane kits than before?

Scott
sredlin is online now Find More Posts by sredlin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:22 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
929 Posts
elevons with spar

Why not use a spar to stiffen the elevons. Would that not be stiffer and lighter than several layers of tape and lam?
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:31 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post

Take a look and tell us what you think.
I'm a little disappointed that it looks like WordPress didn't work out for you, since I'm a huge WP fan, but the new web site is actually an improvement. I think the best part is that I'm guessing it's a lot easier for you to update it, and that's really important. It doesn't matter how cool a site looks if it's out of date. The new site has a lot fewer bells and whistles, which is also good. It's clean and easy to use, although a bit less "professional". For example, the old video slider thingy looked very cool, but was actually not easy to use. The old "review" structure was cool too, but you couldn't actually read the reviews, and I suspect it wasn't easy to update them. The new menu structure is cleaner.

Being able to update the site easily is a great advantage. One thing that's really impressed me about you guys is that I've mentioned an error in a manual, and you've corrected it online the next day (or quicker). That's huge. Now I'm thinking you'll be able to do the same for the web site in general. It's got to be a chore to keep the parts lists links up-to-date.

On the down side (and it's tiny), I miss the old logo with the yellow wing and distinctive lettering. I've been making decals of that logo and putting them on my planes. I'd recommend moving the logo currently at the bottom of the pages ("Official crashtester") to the top. Also, the new site seems a bit slower than the old, which I wouldn't expect since the pages are simpler. Did you also change hosting providers?

Also, a little yellow wing favicon would be really cool.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:48 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,183 Posts
We are listening...

We can do some of those things. I can still make the reviews appear in a slide show but we had a lot of complaints that people couldn't read them because they were changing too fast and they always seemed to get the same reviews over and over.

Some of our customers don't have English as their native language and so it takes a little more time for them to get through some of the information. For this reason we are trying to use a simpler format, more pictures in the instructions and we have even reworded some descriptions and instructions.

Our web page comes up different on computers and smart phones. We are trying an option where you get to choose how the site looks on your phone and some tablets. If you don't like the products appearing one at a time in a long list go to the bottom of the page and select "WEB" and it will be in the standard format. If you do this you then you will have to enlarge each page to read it. The more I use it the more I like the mobile format because each product is easy to see and the description is easy to read on each of the products. Even the reviews and parts lists work well in this format.

Word Press was a little complex for us. I know it is a good program and well liked but it wasn't fast and simple. Those of you who have had classes in web design may find it easy but we had a variety of problems that we had to get help to fix so it made us hesitant to make changes to keep our site fresh and current.

As for the Logo. I could give you a whole page of different logos. We had a contest a few years ago and got a lot of suggestions. William S. is the one who created the last header. We choose the design we did because it doesn't hide some of the categories and the drop down list stays on the home page without having to scroll down like most of the templates we have tried.

If you have looked at the website on a computer screen, do you like the background color?

Thanks for the feedback.

Lee
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Feb 17, 2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:45 PM
Joined Dec 2008
326 Posts
Quote:

We can do some of those things. I can still make the reviews appear in a slide show but we had a lot of complaints that people couldn't read them because they were changing too fast and they always seemed to get the same reviews over and over.
You may have misunderstood me. I think the new review format is better.
Quote:

If you have looked at the website on a computer screen, do you like the background color?
If you're talking about the mottled blue background, not much shows. It's fine, but a little dated.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:05 PM
Siv
Trinidad and Tobago, Port of Spain
Joined Jan 2006
183 Posts
Sorry if this has been asked before (I've not quite managed to read all 6920 posts in this thread) but is there a specific performance reason why the corners are cut from the wingtips? Or is it only aesthetic?
Siv is offline Find More Posts by Siv
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:14 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siv View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before (I've not quite managed to read all 6920 posts in this thread) but is there a specific performance reason why the corners are cut from the wingtips? Or is it only aesthetic?
Creates drag to act as a stabilizing force if you don't use the wingtip fins.
nofreee is offline Find More Posts by nofreee
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:27 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofreee View Post
Creates drag to act as a stabilizing force if you don't use the wingtip fins.
I don't know how crash test hobbies discovered that dynamic of the clip wing but I thank them.

I fly the assassin, set up per plan spec and it is beautiful in the air. No winglets they are ugly and they take away from the elegance of both the Titan and the assassin.

Crash test hobbies planes, their combat planes are the only ones I've seen that can fly without these little things on the end of their wings.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:33 PM
Joined Dec 2008
326 Posts
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I actually prefer the look of the fins. And I think even Lee would agree that the Assassin is more stable (yaw) at low speeds with the fins. The only reason to avoid the fins in my opinion is they tend to come off in combat, and they are a pain to re-attach. However, there are ways to prevent this mostly.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:42 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I actually prefer the look of the fins. And I think even Lee would agree that the Assassin is more stable (yaw) at low speeds with the fins. The only reason to avoid the fins in my opinion is they tend to come off in combat, and they are a pain to re-attach. However, there are ways to prevent this mostly.
Absolutely!

DJ
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:15 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,183 Posts
The angles create drag at the tips with the same effect as fins just done another way.

They work better if the plane is lighter. All of my Assassins are flown without fins. All of my Widowmakers have fins.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:42 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,137 Posts
Quote:
The angles create drag at the tips with the same effect as fins just done another way.

They work better if the plane is lighter. All of my Assassins are flown without fins. All of my Widowmakers have fins.
The Widowmaker will be my next! giving the miss'es time to catch up on buying shoes plus I'm having to much fun with my Assassin!
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:02 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupeloflyer View Post
The Widowmaker will be my next! giving the miss'es time to catch up on buying shoes plus I'm having to much fun with my Assassin!
I don't fly combat. My interest in the assassin, in the Titan is purely because of thier flying characteristics and thier beauty. I'm sure all planes made by crash test hobby are excellent. My assassin has flown several combat missions piloted by my flight instructor, he did well.

My new plane is the Titan. Custom-built, nothing sticking above the top except the servo arms. All the electronics are buried in the bottom of the plane under a door. This plane is so beautiful in flight that the idea of combat with it seems incongruent.

When I become more experienced with flying these planes I will offer myself as a target.

DJ
BTW: you can't hit what you can't catch!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:54 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,806 Posts
My new Assassin wing is almost done.
About ready to hit the air and do combat with Blu and Jim.
Can someone post a link to the settings for the DX6i for the Assassin.
Thanks in advance.
foamyflyerr is online now Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:18 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,137 Posts
Never flew anything with elevons when I had my Dx6i? got the Dx8 now and it was a breeze! hope this vid helps.
Elevon mixing on dx6i, instructions, GET FULL SERVO THROWS!!! (6 min 12 sec)
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64