HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:20 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
387 Posts
CF2812 Rewind Thread

I updated my original CF2812 Rewind Thread over in the motor forums in case anyone is interested in a relatively easy hop up.

I'm going to do a show and tell at our next club meeting on rewinding these motors. I've done 8 and 9 turns (24 ga MD wire) and 10 and 11 turns (25 ga MD wire) with this motor.

Any of your experiences in this rewind are appreciated!
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Last edited by KC Flyer; Feb 09, 2013 at 04:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:12 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
922 Posts
Build progress and notes

Here is a photo of my work in progress.

No apologies for the messy work area

So a few posts back we were talking about coloring option. I first used the supplied clear lam material per the directions. Then I added color by ironing Ultrakote and Monkote over the clear. The top I did with Ultracoat. The bottom (not shown) I did with Monkote. I have to say I much prefer the Ultracoat as a product for a number of reasons. The backing is easier to remove, it does not curl up as much before ironing, and the Monokote has a strong chemical smell. The Ultrakote is generally just nicer and easier to work with.

Other build notes:
1. I cut the elevons a little shorter than stock so I could use either 8" or the suggested 7" prop. I like to experiement with props. So think I need to move the servos out a little more so the control arms are not angled.

2. I put the battery quite a bit further forward than the 2.5" suggested in the instructions. The back of the battery is at about 2.5". The balance is still marginal and I may still need some nose weight.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:20 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,131 Posts
Just went for round 2 with the Assassin! ran down 3 packs! dialed those rates down and added some expo and it flew alot better! I had closer to 3/4in throw in elevon's instead of 3/8in oop's! no wonder it was twitchy this morning! still a little learning curve to launching? throttle before you throw, or after? kinda what I struggle with, but once I get her in the air it's on like donkey kong! noticed my grub screws on motor mount tube got a little loose after 3 or 4 packs?? is this common with this motor?? doesn't seem to have a viberation??
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:30 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
Here is a photo of my work in progress.

No apologies for the messy work area

So a few posts back we were talking about coloring option. I first used the supplied clear lam material per the directions. Then I added color by ironing Ultrakote and Monkote over the clear. The top I did with Ultracoat. The bottom (not shown) I did with Monkote. I have to say I much prefer the Ultracoat as a product for a number of reasons. The backing is easier to remove, it does not curl up as much before ironing, and the Monokote has a strong chemical smell. The Ultrakote is generally just nicer and easier to work with.

Other build notes:
1. I cut the elevons a little shorter than stock so I could use either 8" or the suggested 7" prop. I like to experiement with props. So think I need to move the servos out a little more so the control arms are not angled.

2. I put the battery quite a bit further forward than the 2.5" suggested in the instructions. The back of the battery is at about 2.5". The balance is still marginal and I may still need some nose weight.
That was probably a good move on the pack position, I had to add a little in the nose this morning before my maiden. balances dead on 6 1/2in mark. mine weighed in around 17.3oz's it flew great! had too much throw in elevons first flight! 3/8in up & down is plenty! I promise! looking good!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:47 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1,131 Posts
rhodesengr, I really like that CG thing you got there! where did you get it? mine is simple, picture yourself really mad at someone and you stand flipping them a double Bird! that's what mine looks like! LOL!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:30 PM
Joined Jan 2012
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupeloflyer View Post
rhodesengr, I really like that CG thing you got there! where did you get it? mine is simple, picture yourself really mad at someone and you stand flipping them a double Bird! that's what mine looks like! LOL!
Its the SIG balancer and I got it Atlanta Hobby. Just warning you its a kit and took a few hours to assemble it.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:06 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
when you make a mark 6.5in from nose, how far out towards wing tips do you balance from? or does it really matter? about half way it's seems to be close but a fine line! I can slightly move my fingers, and one time it will fall backwards, and sometimes it will fall forward, I'm guessing it should balance at the 6.5in mark right?
It should matter how far from center your two points are, since you're trying to balance front/back. Think of the proper CG as an imaginary line that runs across the width of the entire wing. Half the weight should be in front of that line, half behind it.

You can pick any two points along that line, and the wing should still balance front/back. In fact, you could theoretically attain proper CG by laying your wing on a horizontal wire or rod.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:14 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,071 Posts
Quote:
Ok Folk's! I'm a believer now! the Assassin is the toughest plane on the planet!! I had to go and maiden mine this morning (in gail force wind btw) and after I found "my way" to launch it,(frisbee style) It flew GREAT!,I had my rates a little too high and was a little squirrelly at first, but for a 7 dollar motor the emax cf2812 will scream on this thing! especially down wind in 10 to 15mph wind!!. It took a couple of so called "lawn dart" landings with no damage what so ever!. a couple of clicks of trim is all it took, This thing is a blast! I'm officially hooked! now I got to start working on my flying bubbies, (after I practice enough to take them down of course!) cool Plane! Thanks for all the help, and sorry for all the stupid questions! Tupeloflyer..
Sounds fun. Now you need to try combat....

Lee
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:41 AM
Joined Jan 2012
922 Posts
Question about fins

I built mine with the fins. The fins are longer than the wing tips. Are we supposed to let them hang back behind the hinge line or should we trim them at the hinge line.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:21 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
I let em hang, she tracks great
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:33 AM
Joined Jan 2012
922 Posts
I'll try it that way but they block the view of the elevons from the side. I like to site down the back edge to check the trim. I found on my other wings this is helpful before the first flight of the day.

With the fins full length, I can't get a good view. I was wondering how much fin is really needed.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:08 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Just went for round 2 with the Assassin! ran down 3 packs! dialed those rates down and added some expo and it flew alot better! I had closer to 3/4in throw in elevon's instead of 3/8in oop's! no wonder it was twitchy this morning! still a little learning curve to launching? throttle before you throw, or after? kinda what I struggle with, but once I get her in the air it's on like donkey kong! noticed my grub screws on motor mount tube got a little loose after 3 or 4 packs?? is this common with this motor?? doesn't seem to have a viberation??
regarding how to launch, here's my method

CTH Assassin crash testing (1 min 23 sec)
viper522 is online now Find More Posts by viper522
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:25 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
317 Posts
Quote:
noticed my grub screws on motor mount tube got a little loose after 3 or 4 packs?? is this common with this motor?? doesn't seem to have a viberation??
Yes, it's very common. Take them out, and put a drop of Blue Loctite (thread locker) on them when you replace them.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:25 PM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
261 Posts
Tupeloflyer - Look back at posts 6753-6756 if you've got screws loose. You're not alone.
Backyard is online now Find More Posts by Backyard
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:27 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
regarding how to launch, here's my method
I'm gonna have to try that moving the throttle stick with my teeth method!
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp