HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:58 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
Anyway, a quick check of the linkages etc and everything looked fine, tossed it up and it was unflyable! All over the place and as much as I pushed up on the stick I couldn't get it to nose down so I just let it float down..
I don't think bending the motor mount slightly would do this. I think your elevon horns are loose. They can work great on the ground, but move in the air.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:33 AM
Mt. Airy, NC
Joined Aug 2004
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
I don't think bending the motor mount slightly would do this. I think your elevon horns are loose. They can work great on the ground, but move in the air.
well that's what i originally thought.. but everything was nice and tight.. all the screws were tight.. the only thing I thought may have happened was maybe the control rods slipped on the quick connectors on impact on the elevons even though they were nice and snug..

left and right was fine.. down was the problem.. that's why i thought it may have been the mount??
BlueDevil is offline Find More Posts by BlueDevil
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:30 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
929 Posts
trim motor shaft?

Just wondering what the guidance is regarding trimming the length of the motor shaft on the CF 2812. It is longer than it needs to be.
Good idea?
Bad idea?
Really necessary?
Useful but not required?
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Last edited by rhodesengr; Feb 07, 2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:07 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
Just wondering what the guidance is regarding trimming the length of the motor shaft on the CF 2812. It is longer than it needs to be.
Good idea?
Bad idea?
Really necessary?
Useful nor not required?
I've never had a problem with the length, but I think the best advice I ever saw here was if you do shorten the shaft, don't let the metal filings get sucked into the motor. The poster suggested wrapping the motor tightly in a baggy.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:03 PM
Joined Jan 2012
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
I've never had a problem with the length, but I think the best advice I ever saw here was if you do shorten the shaft, don't let the metal filings get sucked into the motor. The poster suggested wrapping the motor tightly in a baggy.
yes I saw that. I think the logic is that the longer shaft increases the possibility of bending if you crash. Shorter shaft=less moment arm=less chance of bending. Just wondering how big an issue it is.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:42 PM
Joined Jun 2009
391 Posts
Motor shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
Good idea?
Bad idea?
Really necessary?
Useful but not required?
Push the prop saver all the way up to the motor housing and leave 1/8" or so of the shaft sticking out and cut the rest off. Depending on the prop, some have a pilot hole of sorts, you will be able to center the prop on the shaft but not so much that it will bend the shaft when it hits the ground hard.
Positioning the prop mount right up against the motor housing reduces the chance of bending the shaft on a hard impact.
Good luck.
Chico John is offline Find More Posts by Chico John
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:55 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,183 Posts
The motor shaft is hardened and easy to bend as you try to cut it. I only tried once and I got such a wobble in my prop I haven't tried again. I scoot my prop saver forward to where the prop is near the end of the shaft and mount the prop with just the end of the shaft poking through.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:42 PM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Apr 2012
650 Posts
Have an assassin that someone gave me and can bind it on my dx7, use delta configuration, but can't get the right setup. I guess my question is, can anyone walk me through a dx7 setup? I'm wondering if I have to reverse the servos...
TheMagician007 is offline Find More Posts by TheMagician007
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:20 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Avllino View Post
Have an assassin that someone gave me and can bind it on my dx7, use delta configuration, but can't get the right setup. I guess my question is, can anyone walk me through a dx7 setup? I'm wondering if I have to reverse the servos...
You may have to reverse one or even both of the servos. Do you have the DX7 Manual? make sure you have the servos plugged into the right channels on the RX. If you can't get it to work the right way you may need to swap the servo connectors at the RX and go through it again. If they are on the wrong channels no combination of reversing will work.
Page 46 here covers the servo channels for DELTA (DX7Manual) Left elevon goes in aileron channel and right elevon goes in elevator channel.
whirlcap is online now Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:15 AM
Joined Jan 2012
929 Posts
Quote:
You really can't tell which servo has to plug into which channel. Get the up/down part working right with TX reversing. Both move up with stick down and both move down with stick up. Then go stick right. If its backwards, just reverse the the servo leads at the RX.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:01 AM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
Here's a MSComposit Swift II chasing my underpowered (I think) Assassin. Tried to put some moves on him but the dude can fly. I'm flying LOS with about 3 batteries of experience, he's obviously flying FPV. Good fun.

Blunt Swift 2 chasing around and Assassin at the CFL FPV meet -- FPV (2 min 6 sec)
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:17 AM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
268 Posts
Viper - Very cool. Not hit or even caught!
What field are you flying?
Backyard is online now Find More Posts by Backyard
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:20 AM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
It was in Leesburg, middle of the state. Normally private cow pasture but they let us fly on it for one weekend last month. You can find out more about it here. I'm sure we'll do it again in the future.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:38 AM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
268 Posts
Looks like a great event.
Backyard is online now Find More Posts by Backyard
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:36 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,183 Posts
Quote:
There are 8 different possible reverse and plug set ups and only one of them works.

If you can't get the different combinations of reversing switches to work, trade the servo plugs in the receiver and try again.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee