HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:50 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
I don't want to start a discussion on orange receivers here, but for me they've been a bust. My Assassin has been intermittently losing all control and power almost every flight for over a month now. Most times rapid throttle stick swings will get her going again before a crash, but I've had a few crashes anyway. Yesterday was the last straw. Last night I installed a new AR400 and flew 4 trouble free flights today! A first in a long time.
Awhile back my Minifunfighter Wildcat started having intermittent glitches as well and finally went down and was destroyed a few minutes into the flight. So my Rarebear got an AR400 as well. My planes are too important to me to chance them with another $6 Orange rx.

Blu
The orange receivers are only DSM2, most genuine Spektrum recievers are DSMX. I've lost a few planes on orange receivers due to lockouts, since switching to only Spektrum stuff, I've yet to have an issue. Some planes I don't care about I'll go with the orange stuff, but all my more expensive or prized planes all get Spektrum gear.

Here is a writeup I found a while ago that explains the differences.

Quote:
DSMX is basically two layers of multi-access techiques.

DSM2 is based on something called CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access). In simple term, this means two things: 1) The signal is spread out over a wider frequency band and 2) each transmitter/receiver pair uses it's own coding scheme to "scramble" the signal. The coding schemes are designed in such a way that even if two stations are transmitting on the same frequency, the respective signals can still be isolated by the receivers, thanks to the coding schemes.

CDMA is great, because it's resilient to static, interference and other transmitters transmitting on the same frequency. However, there's a limit to how many stations can transmit on the same frequency before the signal gets too diluted to be successfully isolated by the receiver.

So DSM2 employs a simple scheme to try to avoid this. When starting up, the transmitter tries to find two free frequencies and starts transmitting. The receiver is scanning the frequencies for the unique signature of its paired transmitter. Once found, the receiver locks in and you have a working link. DSM2 uses two separate channels, so if one gets knocked out by interference, the other channel may still be usable. The problem is that the channel allocation happens on transmitter startup, so if both channels become unusable at some later point in the flight, you may still lose the link.

And that's why DSMX was designed. DSMX essentially uses the same encoding scheme as DSM2, but the frequency changes thousands of times per second according to a pseudo-random sequence negotiated between the transmitter and receiver. Even if some channels used become completely saturated and unusable, it would normally only result in cut-outs a couple of milliseconds, which would be too short to even notice (in theory).
nofreee is offline Find More Posts by nofreee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:19 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
VFR Rules,
The camera is a #16 version keychain Camera. Take HD video and does a real good job for 40 bucks

Tupeloflyer,
You can try the USA warehouse for HK stuff? I always look there first but usually go with the slow boat from china route because the stuff I want isn't all in the USA warehouse though. One thing about the electronics, its all coming from china anyway but yes, there are quality differences. It's a crap shoot to some degree. Chance of failure is always there no matter who puts their name on it. Some guys won't run any Spektum stuff even brand name. We have choices and it keeps the prices competitive if nothing else. Low cost is always my first choice and I keep going with it until I have reason not to. Looks like Blu has a good reason to change now though, hopefully, my orange rx's will not fail but I will keep a eye out for the symptoms now.
actually I ordered them from US warehouse! it's been 6 day's and no tracking info? I'm used to getting order's in 3 to 5 days! HK is always slow!
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:30 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofreee View Post
The orange receivers are only DSM2, most genuine Spektrum recievers are DSMX. I've lost a few planes on orange receivers due to lockouts, since switching to only Spektrum stuff, I've yet to have an issue. Some planes I don't care about I'll go with the orange stuff, but all my more expensive or prized planes all get Spektrum gear.

Here is a writeup I found a while ago that explains the differences.
wow! that's some deep in depth stuff! but if I loose a signal and a plane go's down, I say, WELL CRAP! salvage what I can, and start a new one!
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:45 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,915 Posts
The info on the DSM2/DSMX was right on the mark. I'm in the RF communications field and have spent many years tracking interference issues mainly below 1ghz. You would be amazed what's in the air around you every moment of your life.
Most people in this hobby probably fly in lower density urban and rural areas and will never lose a plane to rf issues. The big city urban areas are awash in licensed and unlicensed rf transmissions and some of it fails and puts nasty stuff all over the place. I want a good receiver working for me!

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:56 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
Our club is in a semi rural area and guys have talked for a while about a "Bermuda triangle" in our Southeast corner. More than one plane has gone down there. So one of the memebrs is in the wireless internet business and has some sort of WIFI surverying equipment. He found very strong WIFI signals in that same area. This is also in the 2.4 GHz band. So maybe its a real effect and the WIFI signals have been disrupting DSM2 receivers.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:04 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,915 Posts
Maybe it's coming from the LL Lab over there

It's bad enough to have adjacent or on channel interference, but when it's at power levels that raises the noise floor so high that our little signals are swallowed up like a leaf in a raging river.

Now back to our regular program............
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:50 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Maybe it's coming from the LL Lab over there

It's bad enough to have adjacent or on channel interference, but when it's at power levels that raises the noise floor so high that our little signals are swallowed up like a leaf in a raging river.

Now back to our regular program............
And that is from our resident electronics expert in the "East Bay Boys".
We can always count on him to school us laymen on the technical aspects of RC flying.
Thanks Blu.
foamyflyerr is online now Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:37 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,987 Posts
When we used to fly 72 frequencies we had a lot of interference. We lived with it all the time and had to watch out for other flyers. Combat drastically improved with the 2.4 radios.

I have flown a couple of 2.4 planes out of range but I was always doing something n the horizon or at high altitude with just a parkflyer receiver. In both cases I can think of I deserved trouble and knew it.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:54 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
Quote:
Maybe it's coming from the LL Lab over there........
ahh yes. the secret governement plot to use WIFI to crash our planes.

Probably some local provider trying to reach customers in North lIvermore.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:48 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
ahh yes. the secret governement plot to use WIFI to crash our planes.

Probably some local provider trying to reach customers in North lIvermore.
More likely those windmill farm guys above you networking their system via wireless.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:03 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,674 Posts
Quote:
More likely those windmill farm guys above you networking their system via wireless.
Can you say conspiracy theory lol
foamyflyerr is online now Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:31 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamyflyerr View Post
Can you say conspiracy theory lol
Yes I can but they might be listening...........................
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:09 PM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
254 Posts
Widowmaker all dressed

So much time on my hands.

Office Depot full page inkjet window decals with graphics designed on Windows Digital Image Pro, printed as a .jpg on a Word document and laminated to make the ink moisture proof. Tape is 2 mil is from walmart and the black areas on top are filled in with permanent marker (super giant size).

Now I'm ready to mess her up!!
Backyard is offline Find More Posts by Backyard
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:21 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,067 Posts
Good looking plane. I haven't wanted to hit something this bad in a long time! (That's a complement by the way.)
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:35 AM
Mt. Airy, NC
Joined Aug 2004
331 Posts
Had my first really hard nose to ground yesterday haha.. compliments of Dumb Thumbs! Actually was flying with my budding and as we crossed paths I think my brain got confused and I was flying his there for a sec :-)

Anyway, a quick check of the linkages etc and everything looked fine, tossed it up and it was unflyable! All over the place and as much as I pushed up on the stick I couldn't get it to nose down so I just let it float down..

I think it boiled down to the SS motor mount had bent forward on impact messing up the thrust line.. I was amazed that there was absolutely NO damage to the nose from that hard impact but enough to bend the motor mount..

So question.. is the motor mount pretty much on 90 degrees? I bent it back quite a bit (so I thought) but still seemed to have to put a trim and even adjust my subtrim in the settings to get it to fly right again.. wondered if I need to bend it more??
BlueDevil is offline Find More Posts by BlueDevil