HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:32 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
hmmm. I just measured the thickness of the lam that came in my kit and some orange Monokote. The Monokote is thicker, .003 vs .002 for the CTH lam. Hard to understand why the thinner lam would be stronger.
I think the laminate is just plain tougher. Monkote will tear once the surface is breached, kind of like plain packing tape does. Apply the two layer and go with it, Lee knows what works If you tape it or go nuts making it any other way you may add too much tail weight and will be forced to add nose weight even with a large battery. It needs to be strong but it also needs to be light. That is also why you slice the hinge tape and some of the other tape strips in half, save weight were is can be saved.
whirlcap is online now Find More Posts by whirlcap
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:07 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
well I am building exactly per the instructions. Just started thinking about the coloring issues which got me thinking about the other products out there and how they compare.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:42 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
There is nothing wrong with using other iron on colored laminates. Ultracoat is the strongest. Realize that you will have to spray the foam core with 3M77 or 3M90 to get the other laminates to stick which adds building time and weight.

I use them my self at times. I found them to be more expensive and weaker than our laminate. I have used many different iron on coverings. The clear laminate we include in the kit is stronger than any of them for its weight plus it is included in the kit. Many of the different colored laminates will split when the plane takes an impact more than the laminate we sell so I don't recommend them in combat but it is all a personal choice.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:11 AM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,133 Posts
I made a 3 hour drive to a meet with a few planes and a tricopter behind the seat of my truck. I didn't realize until I got there that the tail servo push rod's cut off end was pressing against the laminate on my Assassin the whole way. But it did not puncture. Instead, it bent the Z end further.

Try that with 'kote.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:09 AM
My dog ate my airplane
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
hmmm. I just measured the thickness of the lam that came in my kit and some orange Monokote. The Monokote is thicker, .003 vs .002 for the CTH lam. Hard to understand why the thinner lam would be stronger.
I suspect you are over thinking the build if you are taking the time to measure the laminate versus Monokote. You must have access to some pretty specialized tools to make measurements like that, I wouldn't have a clue on one might find those numbers? And as all teachers say there are no dumb questions, so good for you for enlightening everyone on the subtle differences between the 2 materials.
sredlin is offline Find More Posts by sredlin
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:26 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,918 Posts
I used colored Trimkote from Tower Hobby. I did the build up to the taping. Then applied the adhesive trim over the tape and foam for my design. I then ironed the trim as well. Then laminated as per the instructions. It's worked very well. The guys call my Assassin "Spot" because of the big dots on the under side.
Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:34 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,133 Posts
I built mine per the instructions and then used blue painter's tape to distinguish top from bottom. I've crashed it many times and it hasn't pulled up yet. But I did order some bright colored packing tape ("wing tape") from HK to make it stand out a little more. I assume it'll stick to the lam at least as well as painter's tape. And when/if it comes up I'll use that as an excuse to make a new design.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:35 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
I probably overthink everything. The measurment was not that hard. I have a $12 digital caliper off Amazon which is very useful in this hobby, especially with measuring the small crews used in helicopters. I am an engineer and I like to understand different materials and properties and I like to know why one material is used over another. Not saying there are not good reasons but lots of times people do something just because everyone else does.

Lee: Thanks for the input. Adhesion to the foam is important. I had not thought about that.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:09 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
There are a lot of differences between the laminates.

Our laminate doesn't shrink as much and I think that is why it doesn't get so brittle. It is easier to apply because you don't get so many wrinkles. I'm sure the spray on adhesive also plays a roll.

If you look at my planes that have an Ultracoat covering after 2 years, more of them have loose laminate than we see on the clear laminate we include in the kit. the laminate adhesive is better than the 3m77 spray adhesive.

The clear laminate doesn't show wrinkles as much but you need to add color to stay oriented to the plane and see the plane against the clouds.

My son Mike paints his planes and the clear laminate sticks to the paint .
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Feb 01, 2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:00 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,131 Posts
I'm building mine per instructions and ordered a couple of rolls of holigraphic hola hoop tape from paperstreetplastics on ebay to doozy it up a little, a couple a black stripes across the bottom. and a friend made me a small vinyl Assassin graphic and thats gonna be it! keeping it simple for the first one...going for the widowmaker next! might play a bit more dress up on it? I got this feeling these wings are going to be addictive! a dozen planes & couple of Heli's and now the wing! My wife is me! but I told her, hey, at least it's not drug's & alcohol and chasing other women! that always works! you buy shoe's, I buy plane's.....
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:50 AM
Joined Oct 2012
1,131 Posts
Started my Assassin build this morn and it's going smooth but I got to the elevon's and I noticed in most pic's that the outer trailing edge of elevon's the corner is cut off? but I don't see it or a measurment in instructions? is this a critical measurment? or for looks? it seems to be about an inch and a half to me? Ok disregard that Question, the more pic's I look at I see that it's a little different on every one. I'm guessing getting both the same is most important. going back to work!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tupeloflyer; Feb 02, 2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:27 PM
Joined Jul 2010
208 Posts
Paint

Spray foam then laminate IMHO

This is what paint over lam can look like after a few weeks rough and tumble!
( Rust Oleum flourescent, looks OK on foam)~~~~~~~~~~~~H
CaribbeanBlue is offline Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:51 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupeloflyer View Post
Started my Assassin build this morn and it's going smooth but I got to the elevon's and I noticed in most pic's that the outer trailing edge of elevon's the corner is cut off? but I don't see it or a measurment in instructions? is this a critical measurment? or for looks? it seems to be about an inch and a half to me? Ok disregard that Question, the more pic's I look at I see that it's a little different on every one. I'm guessing getting both the same is most important. going back to work!
The measurement was in my version of the instructions - it's only done when not using winglets I believe, so I didn't do it.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:47 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
The measurement was in my version of the instructions - it's only done when not using winglets I believe, so I didn't do it.
No, the measurement your talking about is on the wing itself, It's 2" from leading edge tip towards nose & 2" towards tip of trailing edge. I cut that off, I'm talking about the elevon tip.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:52 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,918 Posts
Some of us trim the ailerons a little to save them in case of a cartwheel and not much is needed. Mine are trimmed, my friends are not. My Assassin #2 will not have them trimmed. My friends seems more stable in slow turns then mine.

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer