HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:59 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
637 Posts
Ive used hot glue (not low temp) didnt bugger the foam and gorilla, both have held out to my relentless abuse
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:02 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
773 Posts
goop

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
I used Goop. Same as Shoe Goo. My thoughts are that it's a flexable bond and nose in impacts will not split the wings at the nose. So far this has been true with my Assassin with many lawn dart impacts, no damage at all.
I agree with ya - plumbers goop , shoe goop all the same formula. Welder's is a small tube and more $$ -which I have used on Twisted Hobby stuff

Alot more in the Plumbers/shoe goop , which is needed for the bigger ones ie Grim R and the other larger wings .
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:00 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
904 Posts
I'm a huge hot glue fan. It's cheap, it's quick, it's easy, and it holds great.

From my own experience, and that of my brother in law, I'd actually recommend against the gorilla glue for structural joints. Yes, it fills in the holes really well, so I use it for the shock cord, or for patching breaks and tears, but it also lacks the flex of hot glue or goop, and even gets brittle after a while. It'll hold in flight, but is more likely to crack apart in a collision, compared to other glues with more flex. When my bro in law finally cracked his reaper in half ( and that took some doing!) it was clear that the gorilla glue was already brittle and was the exact breaking point.

Goop is great stuff, but the drying time and messiness have always kept me from trying it on gluing wing halves together. I use it for hinging flaps on the Albatross or pelican, and then smear it on the leading edge of those planes' wings for protection, but I've never tried it on any flying wings.

I love that hot glue is done in a couple seconds, and has never given me any problems. A few people comment on the added weight, compared to gg, but I've built all my wings with hot glue, and have come in under the recommended weight on all of them.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:34 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
279 Posts
For gluing the wing halves together, I'm also in the hot glue camp. The problem with the others is you need a way of clamping the joint while it dries. This is particularly true of the polyurethane-based Gorilla glues (brown and white), which expend as they harden. I've yet to figure out how to clamp anything together shaped as weirdly as the wing halves.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:37 AM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
For gluing the wing halves together, I'm also in the hot glue camp. The problem with the others is you need a way of clamping the joint while it dries. This is particularly true of the polyurethane-based Gorilla glues (brown and white), which expend as they harden. I've yet to figure out how to clamp anything together shaped as weirdly as the wing halves.
Blue painter's tape. The 2" wide stuff holds well and releases when you want it to.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:39 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupeloflyer View Post
can you use med CA and activator?
I would think so. I've never considered that joint too critical because there's a lot more construction to strengthen it: the spar, the shock cord, the Extreme tape and the laminate.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:41 AM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,133 Posts
I've also seen people apply white GG and dab a little hot glue to hold it fast while the GG dries proper.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:31 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,083 Posts
checked tracking and my assassin sould be here tomorrow! question, Being that this is my first flying wing, all my planes are regular motor up front, I ordered a bunch of 7/6 apc style props from hobbyking, should they have been pusher props?? If so I screwed up! but they were only 65cents each, no big loss...
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig T-Clips
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:11 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,620 Posts
Quote:
checked tracking and my assassin sould be here tomorrow! question, Being that this is my first flying wing, all my planes are regular motor up front, I ordered a bunch of 7/6 apc style props from hobbyking, should they have been pusher props?? If so I screwed up! but they were only 65cents each, no big loss...
Electric motors do not need pusher props because the motor can turn either direction by trading any two of the three wires to the motor. So if it is running backwards, trade two wires. Props do have a front however. The writing is on the front of the prop and needs to face the direction plane is flying or you will have low power.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:11 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,146 Posts
Quote:
No, just make sure your motor spins the right way, if not, just swap any two of the three wires assuming it's brushless Which I would imagine it must be. Make sure the writing on the prop faces toward the front of the plane too or you will have poor performance. It's real easy to put them on backwards from habbit of using nose (tractor, "pulling") motors.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:13 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,146 Posts
LOL, tag, your it Lee...

Edit....jinx
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Last edited by whirlcap; Jan 29, 2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:16 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
904 Posts
...which one is going to post "jinx" first?
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:31 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1,083 Posts
I had already read that, just felt like asking a dumb noob question! never flown anything with motor in the rear and with elevons, but have a Dx8 and its a easy program. The motor I ordered for the assassin was the emax cf2812 from VH, I aready have a couple a tp mg90 servos and I have a 30 amp esc but not a 20 or 25. It should be ok I would think? I have alot of 11.1v 1300mah packs. Wing didn't show today? departed Memphis, about a hr from here! probably went to Jackson Ms next, about 3 hrs from here... usps does that sometimes... looking forward to putting it together! Looks like alot of fun!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:47 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
Got three planes on this tape but I start with my best. Just some fast and low.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4f5yc7NMZ8
Got on of those Radian Pro's too! LOVE that sucker too!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:07 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,268 Posts
Quote:
Got on of those Radian Pro's too! LOVE that sucker too!
I agree I really love flying my Radian Pro too especially now that I have a camera mounted on it.
My Assassin is on the bench to be built right now.
Can't wait to get that out there and do battle with Blu and Jim
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr