Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:04 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupeloflyer View Post
I'm assuming CTH doesn't include build instructions right? It comes with laminate, but do you use the extreme tape also? someone help a newbee please! Thanks...
Written (non-video) instructions are on the web site. The problem with the videos is that Lee and company (to their credit) are constantly finding ways to make the wings more durable, so the construction methods change, and the video's get out of date. The problem with the PDF instructions is that some of the pictures are too small and lack detail. Wouldn't it be wonderful to click on a picture in the PDF and see the picture full resolution on the web? (Hint, hint, Lee).

Still, my friend, who had never built an RC airplane in his life, followed the written instructions for a Hercules (considerably more complex than an Assassin), and it flew beautifully its first flight.

Yes, you have to buy Extreme Tape, either at Home Depot, or on-line depending on where you live.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:44 AM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
Written (non-video) instructions are on the web site. The problem with the videos is that Lee and company (to their credit) are constantly finding ways to make the wings more durable, so the construction methods change, and the video's get out of date. The problem with the PDF instructions is that some of the pictures are too small and lack detail. Wouldn't it be wonderful to click on a picture in the PDF and see the picture full resolution on the web? (Hint, hint, Lee).

Still, my friend, who had never built an RC airplane in his life, followed the written instructions for a Hercules (considerably more complex than an Assassin), and it flew beautifully its first flight.

Yes, you have to buy Extreme Tape, either at Home Depot, or on-line depending on where you live.
Thanks! have a Home depot, and I'm not new to RC plane builds, just wings, not really worried, just want it to fly well. main concerns are weight & CG
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:54 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Yeah, just follow the instructions on the website. They'll include recommended AUW, and accurate CG
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:50 AM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
254 Posts
Real Maiden

Wife says "a grown man shouldn't get so excited about a toy". Everyone is right...the Widowmaker is a blast!

Got to the big field too late to see the crew today but threw it up into 8-10 knot breeze anyway. Zero wind effect. Flew to altitude, no trim required. Very happy with the low rates (60%/50%, aleron/elevator of 1cm total travel). Great aerobatics and great glide even at a porky 18 oz. auw. Almost caught it once. I swear it will thermal! Maybe 15 minutes of fun @ mostly 1/2 - 3/4 throttle. No noticable heat from motor, battery or ESC.

But...the last of about 6 nose dorking bounces damaged the 1800 mAh LiPo. The cells have shifted and one may be puffed. Ok, it's definitely puffed. All three cells were 4.08 v and it took only 208 mAh to charge it completely. I don't think its dangerous but will watch it closely. I may try to use carbon rod inserted and glued in the first four inches of the nose because it definitely bends (folds) 45-60 degrees on impact. That's how the LiPo cells got shifted. Of course you engineers out there will say then it will bend at 4 1/2 inches and the rest of you will say "just learn to fly it and stop dorking it".

Now I'm getting Assassin fever!
Backyard is offline Find More Posts by Backyard
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:59 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard View Post
Wife says "a grown man shouldn't get so excited about a toy"........snip
Give her a diamond ring and watch her squeal . Then ask her who over-reacts
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:05 PM
RC addict? I'm not addicted...
Danmark, Midtjylland, Roslev
Joined Jul 2011
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
Give her a diamond ring and watch her squeal . Then ask her who over-reacts
Haha there is a cheaper method. Give her a FAKE diamond ring and watch her squeal... or get her a pair of shoes/boots/high heels
Nighthawk74 is offline Find More Posts by Nighthawk74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dualsky Hornet 460
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:57 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
We update most instructions every few months. We have started putting them on our website as PDF files so they are easy to download. you can print them what ever size your bifocals need to read them or just follow them off the site.

This is one of my favorite videos of Todd hitting the soccer goal. I like it not just because of the video but listen to the voices in the background. By the way, my glasses got knocked off my face and stepped on and broken at the end of the video.

Flying wing meets soccer goal (6 min 19 sec)

Here is another one with the same flyers.

Bet you can't hit me (1 min 1 sec)
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jan 27, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:11 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,990 Posts
Here is another one from years ago.

Limbo with RC planes (3 min 33 sec)

and another with Reapers.

Boys will be Boys (4 min 0 sec)
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jan 27, 2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:11 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,241 Posts
Got a combat from the wings view yesterday

Got another one. No hits but pretty close. this is from the camera on the Assassin, trying to make Popwing confetti I was a little worried about the camera but really wanted some air to air shots.
RC Combat, Attempted Assassination (2 min 2 sec)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:39 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
Got another one. No hits but pretty close. this is from the camera on the Assassin, trying to make Popwing confetti I was a little worried about the camera but really wanted some air to air shots.
http://vimeo.com/58322854
awesome video there whirlcap.
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:38 AM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard View Post
Wife says "a grown man shouldn't get so excited about a toy". Everyone is right...the Widowmaker is a blast!

Got to the big field too late to see the crew today but threw it up into 8-10 knot breeze anyway. Zero wind effect. Flew to altitude, no trim required. Very happy with the low rates (60%/50%, aleron/elevator of 1cm total travel). Great aerobatics and great glide even at a porky 18 oz. auw. Almost caught it once. I swear it will thermal! Maybe 15 minutes of fun @ mostly 1/2 - 3/4 throttle. No noticable heat from motor, battery or ESC.

But...the last of about 6 nose dorking bounces damaged the 1800 mAh LiPo. The cells have shifted and one may be puffed. Ok, it's definitely puffed. All three cells were 4.08 v and it took only 208 mAh to charge it completely. I don't think its dangerous but will watch it closely. I may try to use carbon rod inserted and glued in the first four inches of the nose because it definitely bends (folds) 45-60 degrees on impact. That's how the LiPo cells got shifted. Of course you engineers out there will say then it will bend at 4 1/2 inches and the rest of you will say "just learn to fly it and stop dorking it".

Now I'm getting Assassin fever!
1800 is a little large and that's why yours is a little porky, and also why it does more damage when it hits. My favorite battery is the 1500mah 3s Zippy Compact that HobbyKing usually stocks at the US warehouse. 113g and fits in a nice, narrow slot on its edge. I flew one battery until my fingers hurt on Saturday, came back Sunday and still had 11.2v, attached a LiPo beeper, and flew it again until I got bored - beeper never signaled! Had another battery next in line but never got to it.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:44 AM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
254 Posts
Thanks Viper. Looks like the 1500 Zippy is out of stock for the moment but I'll keep checking.
Backyard is offline Find More Posts by Backyard
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:19 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,131 Posts
I was wondering, in the building instructions one of the first steps is glueing the wing halves together. it says to use low temp hot glue, gorilla glue or shoe goo( never heard of it) In ya'lls opinion which of these glues is the best? can you use med CA and activator?
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:44 PM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupeloflyer View Post
I was wondering, in the building instructions one of the first steps is glueing the wing halves together. it says to use low temp hot glue, gorilla glue or shoe goo( never heard of it) In ya'lls opinion which of these glues is the best? can you use med CA and activator?
I think Welders is better than any of those! I'd go for Gorilla Glue next; it expands into all the little holes and crevices.

John
jhark37 is offline Find More Posts by jhark37
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:53 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,241 Posts
I used Goop. Same as Shoe Goo. My thoughts are that it's a flexable bond and nose in impacts will not split the wings at the nose. So far this has been true with my Assassin with many lawn dart impacts, no damage at all.