913 Posts
If you can't make your own, best bet is to just email the guys at CTH
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:00 PM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
254 Posts
Maiden... kind of

Only had a short break today but wanted to get my Widowmaker in the air for the first time. Went to a local small field totally surrounded by big trees. Glide tested good. Throttled up but motor (EMax 2812 Red) acted erratically reving then slowing then reving etc. Prop was on correctly. Eventually it smoothed out and seemed to respond normally. I guessed a bearing needed to get run in or something like that.

The field was too small for me to reach altitude and stable flight to do any trimming. She was wild and wooley and bounced spectacularly off the ground four or five times without even moving any of the electronics! The grand finale was a 2/3 speed bounce off a chain link fence. She still looks brand new. Lee would be proud! Sorry no video.

I think I found the motor issue. The little red motor was loose on its own mount. Does anyone know the size of those tiny allen set screws? Are they metric? Is it possible to over tighten and restrict the shaft? Should I use Locktight?

My throws are at 1 cm (3/8 inch) and I set dual rates 60% aileron, 50% elevator to help tame her while I get her trimmed. I may try to put a lighter battery in her as I'm using a 51/4 oz. 1800 mAh now making AUW nearly 18 oz. (full specs. my post above) Is this a good way to slow her down to get started? Has anyone tried 2s with a bigger prop?

I know there is help at the local flying field (even Assassins!) and I look forward to getting there but life has been complicated lately
Backyard is offline Find More Posts by Backyard
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:15 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
I cant remember exactly but they may be 1.5 mm size allen. I loctited mine in good n tight, no issues since..... Except when i crashed and broke the shaft
elliott000 is online now Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:00 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
Check the CG on the Widowmaker. Try it a little nose heavy.

I buy 3mm x 6mm Allen head screws and pull the little ones out. Don't overtighten them or you can bend the bearing.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:06 PM
no one knows i'm a dog
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Backyard, the allen screws are M3- .5 x 6MM. You can get them at Home Depot , Lowe's, or hardware store. Use a little blue Locktite and don't overtighten because you may damage the bearing. Then you should be good to go. Widowmaker is a blast. You'll see!
dawgpilot is offline Find More Posts by dawgpilot
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:18 AM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
254 Posts
Thanks guys.
Backyard is offline Find More Posts by Backyard
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:44 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,565 Posts
This is how the East Bay Boys play soccer Assassin Wing style

assassin wing soccer with rim shot on goal post (2 min 59 sec)
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:14 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamyflyerr View Post
This is how the East Bay Boys play soccer Assassin Wing style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCEhTkDYAVQ
A few years ago we had an event where one of the activities involved similar goal posts. Half the group had to fly through north to south, the other half south to north. You got a point for each time through the goal, so everybody pretty much went through, then looped around as tight as possible to go through again. Many head-on midairs resulted.
michaelingp is online now Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:30 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
A few years ago we had an event where one of the activities involved similar goal posts. Half the group had to fly through north to south, the other half south to north. You got a point for each time through the goal, so everybody pretty much went through, then looped around as tight as possible to go through again. Many head-on midairs resulted.
Interesting
Maybe we will try something like that
I can see where head on Midair's would result
The carnage might be ugly but the video would be priceless
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:15 AM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,391 Posts
I bought my motor mount on Hobbycity, fits perfectly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofreee View Post
The metal bracket.
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:59 AM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,133 Posts
Flew my Assassin a bunch yesterday being chased by a blunt nosed MS Swift II. Video later but the wing did great.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:20 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamyflyerr View Post
Interesting
Maybe we will try something like that
I can see where head on Midair's would result
The carnage might be ugly but the video would be priceless
At first, everybody is hitting the cross posts, as in your video, which is fun enough, but after a while, you sort of get into a groove where you can loop around and go through the goal every time, where the real fun begins.

While we're on the subject, I asked before, and nobody replied. What is the secret to RC Bowling? We set up the pins, but nobody could hit them! Are we just weenies, or is there a trick?
michaelingp is online now Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:48 AM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,125 Posts
I've just ordered a Assassin from CTH, this is my first flying wing and while I'm waiting on order I've been looking at build vid's & threads. seems to be alot of methods and changes? surely there is one good, up to date build thread on one of these? I'm assuming CTH doesn't include build instructions right? It comes with laminate, but do you use the extreme tape also? someone help a newbee please! Thanks...
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:51 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
At first, everybody is hitting the cross posts, as in your video, which is fun enough, but after a while, you sort of get into a groove where you can loop around and go through the goal every time, where the real fun begins.

While we're on the subject, I asked before, and nobody replied. What is the secret to RC Bowling? We set up the pins, but nobody could hit them! Are we just weenies, or is there a trick?

I don't know if there are any secrets to it but we may have to add Assassin Bowling to the East Bays field there soon.