HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:01 PM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
@ whirlcap, thank you. i will order my motor online then.
All the best.
scbfr is offline Find More Posts by scbfr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:06 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
Found out that hot glue on the elevon horns breaks loose at cold temps too.
I was wondering if I was the only one with that problem! I don't think it's cold weather. I've had them come loose in good weather as well. I tried clearing a little patch of laminate, still had the problem. I'm always reluctant to question Lee's building methods, but for myself, I've gone back to good old screws. Of course, it does take a LOT longer than just gluing them in.
michaelingp is online now Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:11 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
I was wondering if I was the only one with that problem! I don't think it's cold weather. I've had them come loose in good weather as well. I tried clearing a little patch of laminate, still had the problem. I'm always reluctant to question Lee's building methods, but for myself, I've gone back to good old screws. Of course, it does take a LOT longer than just gluing them in.
I repaired mine last night by cutting away laminate around the horn base and a little wedge on the top, re-glued w/hot glue, will see what happens. For me, it was both elevons from a straight in impact. Elevons were nearly full "up" when I went over and picked it up . I still have the top horn pieces and could fit them if I need to do this fix again. Was real cold out and windy, I couldn't get enough trim and the entire flight needed some right input. I adjusted the elevons for this with the repair. Going to be cold again today but nearly 40 tomorrow, no wind either. May fly again today, we"
We'll see
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:22 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,983 Posts
My hot glued horns have come loose numerous times due to bad launches. My bud Jim's Assassins horns are solid with back plates and screws which I'll do on my Assassin #2. This is the most durable fun plane ever, thanks Lee!

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:16 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofreee View Post
I had some spare parts lying around and I decided to do a fully enclosed, 2s Assassin.

Ammo 4040kv inrunner
Castle 35a ESC
2s 1800mah 40c Batts

Puts out around 230w with a 5x5 prop. Came out to around 20oz, but I knew going in was going to be a little chunky. I added a carbon tube in the nose as it felt a little flimsy with all the foam cut out. I've built around 5 or 6 Assassins for myself and other now and it feels just as strong as the standard build, just a bit heavier.

I'll put it up with the rest of the Assassin's this weekend and see how she fares, but it was a fun build. Messy, but fun.
Got to maiden it this weekend and while the hatch needs some minor adjustments to keep the laminate and paint from flapping in the wind it flies pretty well.

With the 5x5 prop there is a noticeable lack of thrust at launch, but once it gets up to speed it feels pretty much identical to a 7x6 powered Assassin.
nofreee is offline Find More Posts by nofreee
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:49 AM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
268 Posts
Laminate Destructive Test

I know what you're thinking, "this guy has too much time on his hands!" Just remember, you watched it. I had you at Destructive!

Laminate Test (3 min 38 sec)

Lee is right (no surprise) the laminate can take LOTS of heat but doesn't shrink too much. The underlying foam however needs care. The wrinkles are not a problem and may create turbulence--a positive aerodynamic result. The loss of adhesion is probably due to the heat profile originally applied to the wing.

So, should I:

A. Remove the laminate and try again.
B. Laminate over top of what is there.
C. Finish the darn plane, go fly it and post a good Destructive Maiden video.
Backyard is online now Find More Posts by Backyard
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:53 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,256 Posts
C
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:18 PM
United States, MN, Garrison
Joined May 2004
325 Posts
I would go with C.
two-stroke is offline Find More Posts by two-stroke
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:01 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard View Post
I know what you're thinking, "this guy has too much time on his hands!" Just remember, you watched it. I had you at Destructive!
Something is odd. I have two Assassins, covered with the kit's laminate using a Monokote hobby iron set to high. I didn't do anything special, just ironed the stuff until it stuck. But neither of my wings flex anywhere near as much as yours in the video, or else you're using a lot more force than I care to apply to mine. But mine are pretty much rigid. Your's look like mine before laminate. Strange.
michaelingp is online now Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:18 PM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
268 Posts
Most of the difference is probably because mine is a Widowmaker with the thinner profile foil. This plane isn't headed for combat and I guess flex is good. I've seen 747 wingtips wag +/- 3 feet in turbulence. Scary as heck but obviously engineered in.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:00 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,161 Posts
I finished my Assassin build a few months ago but never really got to test it, until this weekend. It was a little windy and I'm an inexperienced pilot, but I had it under control fairly quickly. The build instructions were fantastic and it has survived a number of direct hits. It does not want to glide at all off throttle, probably due to the heavy battery. But it is very easy to launch, only requiring an easy toss with the left hand while the right works the elevator.

Zippy Compact 1500mah 3S
HK C20 2050kv
APC 6x4e
HK SS 18-20a ESC
HK 10g servos

Pic while working on the CG and before adding winglets. Little motor couldn't turn that 7x5 prop so I went down a size for maiden.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:37 PM
Joined Jul 2010
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
I usually drill holes in stem of horn to give hot glue a key~~~
Plus you can even drill and glue a cocktail stick from end of elevon if you want belt and braces!~~~H
CaribbeanBlue is offline Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:54 PM
no one knows i'm a dog
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard View Post
Most of the difference is probably because mine is a Widowmaker with the thinner profile foil.
I tested my Widowmaker and there is very little flex. The laminate needs to be well adhered to the foam with an iron. A heat gun is not going to apply any pressure. If there is any air under the wrinkles it will be difficult to iron flat. Try piercing the lam with a pin in several places on the wrinkles before ironing. It wont hurt if you poke into the foam some too.
dawgpilot is offline Find More Posts by dawgpilot
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:28 PM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
268 Posts
Thanks Dawg. The laminate sticks very well to flat cardbaord. My difficulty seems to relate to the complex contours of the foil combined with the limited shrink/shapability of the laminate. I do feel the laminate is stll the best choice for this plane.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:30 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Start with one clean swipe of the iron down the middle of the foam, and small strokes out from the middle until you get to the edges.

Cut the lam so it folds over the edge and overlaps the other piece by about 1". Same cut-and-overlap technique in the center, between left and right halves. It should come out pretty smooth that way.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan