Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:10 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
915 Posts
I don't know the actual temperature, but I go about 3/4 max heat on my hobby iron, and just don't stay in one spot for more than a second or two. It's always easiest to get it flat by ironing one straight line down the middle, then spreading out from that point to the edges.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:17 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,947 Posts
There is definitely an art to getting the iron on covering without wrinkles. The nice thing about clear laminate that when the plane flies by at 50 mph no one can see the wrinkles.

The iron needs to be the right temperature which is hot enough to stick the laminate but not hot enough to change the shape of the foam. This is especially important on the elevons.

I used to tell people where to set the dial on their iron but I now have three irons and each one is at a different place on the dial. I also learned that if the iron was at the right temperature but has been sitting for a while I spray it with a mist of water to cool it down because they tend to overheat.

I like to laminate with one long stroke down the middle of the length of the wing then small strokes to the edges. If you start at one edge and work to the other the shrinkage makes it so it gets wrinkles.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:34 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbfr View Post
Hello,
I just build 1 Assassin, and in my office I managed to get 6 other guys buying the assassin. they are all building this week end
I think I made some mistake on the first one so before I try to fix them all on this one I am building another one so I can compare.
For the Assassin I am trying to use locally purchased parts only and the hobby shop here carries only E-fly motors [URL="http://www.e-fliterc.com/PowerSystems/Motors/BrushlessCharts.aspx"[/URL] and I am not sure which one to buy that will fit the mount and give enough juice.

Do you guys have a recommendation? outrunner 370? 400?
thank you!

as soon as the weather clears out here (Oregon...) will post pictures. (if it ever clears out here...)
From the link you provided and specs there (there is an error keeping the link from showing up) I'm not impressed with any of them myself. Best I could come up with from my limited, still learning knowledge of motors is this one, EFLM1205 Park 370 BL. You should use about an 18 amp ESC with it and a 3cell battery, 1000+ mah. Just my opinion.... Given the selection. Personally, I would prefer a higher kv, 2000+ for use with smaller props for speed without the torque you will get with larger props at lower kv. Seems most the E-flite stuff is over-priced and performs poorly and hardly makes its rated specs. Heavy too. This is once again just from my personal experience with my local HS stock of E-flite. I won't buy it anymore. The CTH recommendation is a very good one as well as the Heasdsuprc.com Power Up Zoom 370 and 400 motors. Those are 15 buck motors, are high quality and scream! I have been using the Zoom 370 (with an EMP 6X4E) and just flew with my new Zoom 400 for the first time today, cold and windy so I gave up in short order but I was very pleased with the power. Hope to get a chance to test some other props soon. Dealing with some torque roll on the 6X3 I tried today and I'm hoping to get better results with a 5043 next time out.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:48 PM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
254 Posts
Thanks for the laminating hints.
If it crinkles when flexed (not stuck to the EPP) will more heat shrink it or am I more likely to burn t or distort the underlying foam? Is a heat gun out of the question?
Backyard is online now Find More Posts by Backyard
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:50 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
310 Posts
I don't think it's like Monocote. i.e. it doesn't shrink. It's the same stuff used to laminate paper documents. There will be wrinkles.
michaelingp is online now Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:37 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
915 Posts
But crinkling is usually because it's loose. You can have wrinkles without crinkling. I'd hit it with the iron some more, bit by bit. My guess is you're not getting it hot enough, but I also don't want to be to blame for any warping. Just keep an eye on the foam as you go
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:29 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,947 Posts
Our clear laminate does shrink but doesn't shrink as much and uses less heat. It is the right match to be used with EPP foam. Once you get used to it, it is easier to use.

Our clear laminate is significantly stronger than Monocoat in that it doesn't tear as easy. Monocoat also needs so much heat so you may distort the shape of the foam before you get it to shrink.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:34 PM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
523 Posts
I have used a heat gun to shrink laminate on an Assassin and two Scythes. Does not shrink like the traditional coatings, but does tighten up some. Hard to describe the technique, but be sure to keep the gun moving!

John
jhark37 is offline Find More Posts by jhark37
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:35 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
822 Posts
covering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Our clear laminate does shrink but doesn't shrink as much and uses less heat. It is the right match to be used with EPP foam. Once you get used to it, it is easier to use.

Our clear laminate is significantly stronger than Monocoat in that it doesn't tear as easy. Monocoat also needs so much heat so you may distort the shape of the foam before you get it to shrink.
Long ago , we used Econokote [ low temp ] to cover blue foam , but I am sure the Laminate is much more " tear resistant"
Tom Eutsler is online now Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:45 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post
Long ago , we used Econokote [ low temp ] to cover blue foam , but I am sure the Laminate is much more " tear resistant"
Many of the planes in the pictures below had Econocoat covering because it worked in the temp range of foam. Econocoat was fragile in combat and would split with a good hit. It also liked to peel at the edges as it aged. I have probably bought 100 rolls of covering over the years with all the planes I have built. I like the color of many of the heat shrinks but like the clear for its strength and it is great with night flying letting the light shine through without distortion.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:01 PM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
254 Posts
Thanks again for the tips. I think a little more heat and some experience is the remedy.
Backyard is online now Find More Posts by Backyard
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:37 PM
United States, MN, Garrison
Joined May 2004
325 Posts
Does anyone have a report on the power zoom 400 yet? I would like to know how it performs, what kind of watts, battery time, and how much weight was needed to reset the CG. Thanks Two-stroke
two-stroke is offline Find More Posts by two-stroke
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:16 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-stroke View Post
Does anyone have a report on the power zoom 400 yet? I would like to know how it performs, what kind of watts, battery time, and how much weight was needed to reset the CG. Thanks Two-stroke
Flew mine today. Not long enough for anything conclusive but did see improvement over the Zoom 370. Not day and night... but better. Windy, cold and out of trim. Too ugly a day to make more flight time and prop changes. Weight was so close to the Zoom 370 I didn't need any change of weight for CG. I only tried the 6x3 prop and notice some torque roll but not any more than the 370 has with the 6x4. I have some video but have not decided if it's worth posting... will see about that later. I crashed it twice due to numb thumbs and snow blindness If it wasn't in the 20's here I might have something better to report Found out that hot glue on the elevon horns breaks loose at cold temps too. Second crash left me with both control horns loose. Looks like a good idea to trim the laminate off around the horns before gluing them. Otherwise, the glue will release from the laminate. If you are waiting to hear something more before ordering.. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Zoom 400. Should be a kick butt motor on this wing. The 370 is fine but maxed out with the 6x4 prop.

EDIT..
WATTS was less than the 370 but more prop testing needed... Speed was at least as fast as the 370 and launch was easy at half throttle.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:35 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Goin out for my first night flight... Hope i bring the plane home. I duck taped the battery in addition to velcro so if i go down itll stay lit lol
elliott000 is online now Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:52 PM
United States, MN, Garrison
Joined May 2004
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
Flew mine today. Not long enough for anything conclusive but did see improvement over the Zoom 370. Not day and night... but better. Windy, cold and out of trim. Too ugly a day to make more flight time and prop changes. Weight was so close to the Zoom 370 I didn't need any change of weight for CG. I only tried the 6x3 prop and notice some torque roll but not any more than the 370 has with the 6x4. I have some video but have not decided if it's worth posting... will see about that later. I crashed it twice due to numb thumbs and snow blindness If it wasn't in the 20's here I might have something better to report Found out that hot glue on the elevon horns breaks loose at cold temps too. Second crash left me with both control horns loose. Looks like a good idea to trim the laminate off around the horns before gluing them. Otherwise, the glue will release from the laminate. If you are waiting to hear something more before ordering.. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Zoom 400. Should be a kick butt motor on this wing. The 370 is fine but maxed out with the 6x4 prop.

EDIT..
WATTS was less than the 370 but more prop testing needed... Speed was at least as fast as the 370 and launch was easy at half throttle.
Hopefully when the weather is better you can get a better feel for things and let us know.......Thank you for you report!!!
two-stroke is offline Find More Posts by two-stroke