HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:49 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
Finally got out today with the 370 zoom and a 6/4 lottsa fun lol. Motor came down at 32 celsius after hard flying in about 6 degree outside temps... Im tempted to go 6/5 lol
When testing my 370 zoom with props I found the 6x3 was drawing more amps (over 32+) and showing 350 watts, much more than the 6x4 was. I didn't fly with it but was temped to see what it would do Felt like more power in the static test but I don't know how that translates into flight speed or performance though
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:11 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,017 Posts
I think the 370 is maxed out with the 6x4 and still reliable. I like WC's idea of going with the Zoom 400 speed motor next. Unfortunately I only have a 400 Zoom slow fly on hand.
Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:17 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Remember the purpose of this plane was combat. We found the best way to protect the radio and battery and prevent them from ejecting out the bottom was to mount them in from the top. We had some comical battery ejections during testing and found that ejection was much less likely if the radio was inserted from the top.

We also kept breaking the servo arms off with servos under the wing. If we buried the push rods we would have the wing break along the push rods so we came up with our present building design.

I am always interested in what people come up with. Keep us informed. Nothing wrong with a little testing and modification.
"I am always interested in what people come up with. Keep us informed. Nothing wrong with a little testing and modification"

Lee thank you so much for your attitude toward what I'm doing. I think you know full well I am not trying to improve on your program. It seems to be perfect!

The things that I do will most likely degrade the actual combat performance. But Lee I'm not that interested in combat with this Titan I have an Assassin for that. The videos of the Titan in-flight just take breath away, so beautiful, so graceful.

You asked me to keep you informed as to my experiments and I certainly appreciate that. I am now studying the CG, wing thickness in certain areas, designing an undercarriage battery box and ways of hiding all the control equipment. I want to create the most elegant flying wing that my club has ever seen. This is not about combat as I said I've got an Assassin for that it's about grace and elegance and this plane has all of that!

Working out where and how to mount the servos with only the horns protruding from the top is my current mission. If I can achieve my goal you will see nothing on the bottom and on the top you will only see the servo horns and the control rods. I am going to move servos out farther to engage the elevon's closer to their center in part because as you know I had to split the elevon's in order to make them fit the airframe because both were warped.

I'm going to have to lay the servos flat because I'm moving them out into a thinner part of the wing and I'll have to cut through deep enough to expose the horns on the top I'm trying to work that out now.

I have a sound device that I ordered for my P 51D that duplicates the sound of the two states supercharger, it kicks in at 35 mi./h it kicks out at 75 mi./h. I mounted it in the bottom of my Titan. I know Lee that this was designed as a combat plane but its beauty inspires me to do more with it then just bumping into other people.

Mine will probably never fly as the best Titan combat plane but I'm not interested in combat. It's a remarkably beautiful aircraft in the air, breathtaking! I don't intend to fly combat as I said I have an Assisin for that.

This may take you aback but I'm going to buy another Assassin and over model it with the superstructure of the B-2 Stealth bomber, I know I know. Wing angles or different, flight characteristics could be different ETC. But as a sculptor it's a simple matter of modeling in Clean Clay the upper part directly on the airframe, pulling a "scab mold" and casting a shell fitting it to the top of the plane creating a profile of the B-2 stealth bomber. I will have to shorten the elevon in order to attach the cap and it will no longer fly like the Titan. We will see what happens.

Lee thank you so much for indulging me and all these creative visions that I'm putting into actions and as you requested I will keep you posted.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Last edited by Sculptor; Jan 11, 2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:31 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
251 Posts
I had some spare parts lying around and I decided to do a fully enclosed, 2s Assassin.

Ammo 4040kv inrunner
Castle 35a ESC
2s 1800mah 40c Batts

Puts out around 230w with a 5x5 prop. Came out to around 20oz, but I knew going in was going to be a little chunky. I added a carbon tube in the nose as it felt a little flimsy with all the foam cut out. I've built around 5 or 6 Assassins for myself and other now and it feels just as strong as the standard build, just a bit heavier.

I'll put it up with the rest of the Assassin's this weekend and see how she fares, but it was a fun build. Messy, but fun.
nofreee is offline Find More Posts by nofreee
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:44 PM
no one knows i'm a dog
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
"Working out where and how to mount the servos with only the horns protruding from the top is my current mission. DJ
Sculptor, you might look into a rotory drive system for internal servo. Kimbrough makes one. part# KIMA0500 available at Tower Hobbies. A coupler attaches directly to the output gear on the servo.
dawgpilot is offline Find More Posts by dawgpilot
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:07 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofreee View Post
I had some spare parts lying around and I decided to do a fully enclosed, 2s Assassin.

Ammo 4040kv inrunner
Castle 35a ESC
2s 1800mah 40c Batts

Puts out around 230w with a 5x5 prop. Came out to around 20oz, but I knew going in was going to be a little chunky. I added a carbon tube in the nose as it felt a little flimsy with all the foam cut out. I've built around 5 or 6 Assassins for myself and other now and it feels just as strong as the standard build, just a bit heavier.

I'll put it up with the rest of the Assassin's this weekend and see how she fares, but it was a fun build. Messy, but fun.
Thank for commenting to these things I'm trying to do. I like what you've done and because you've done it is encouraging.

Thank you again,

DJ
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:13 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgpilot View Post
Sculptor, you might look into a rotory drive system for internal servo. Kimbrough makes one. part# KIMA0500 available at Tower Hobbies. A coupler attaches directly to the output gear on the servo.
Thank you Sir, I had no idea such a thing existed. I've already installed servos in the conventional fashion. That and the horns are the only thing sticking above the surface I would love to make both invisible and the device you recommended would help do that.

Your suggestion may be a part of a more sinister diverse plan that this is all leading up to stay tuned!

Thank you again,

DJ
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:30 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Lee did not discourage me from pursuing my interest in this wing. And the things I'm doing not add to its combat performance in any way I can see. But that's not where I'm heading with this flying wing. Several have encouraged me by showing me their efforts.

The first video I saw of this wing in flight was from crash test hobbies. As a sculptor I can hardly express the impression that this three-dimensional flying wing made on me. It is beautiful in the air, it moves with grace!

I'm not trying to make a combat plane of it, the one I'm building now the Titan will fly as a combat target as I learn to fly it. I'm not concerned the only thing the other guys are flying pop wings. Crashing one of those into the Titan like mine would probably destroy it.

I hopefully will appreciate this but I'm about to buy another assassin and converted into something that looks somewhat like a B-2 stealth bomber. I don't expect that to be very hard to do.

First I will bill the assassin and this time I'll get the laminate type without wrinkles. Then I will take the profile drawings that I got off a Wikipedia and over model the center of it and the extended wing profile in clean Clay. I intend to pull a mold off of that and cast acrylic shell that can be mounted on the assassin creating the appearance of something similar to the B-2 stealth bomber. It may require top and a bottom plastic cap. As a monument portrait sculptor who also does sculptor restoration (the original of the Iwo Jima monument) this is commonly called a 'scab mold'. The two-part plastic is unbreakable is commonly used for quick cast moldes.

In the assassin / B-2 stealth bomber I will have to shorten the elevons at the top and bottom body cap. I still don't know how I'm hide the controls for the elevon.

Thank you so much for your interest,

DJ
PS: "Stop me before I create again!"
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:21 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

My ideas about creating the image of the B2 stealth bomber using the assassin combat plane is an ill-conceived idea and my thinking that way ends now! The Titan is what the B2 stealth bomber would be if it could!

As a sculptor the simple uncluttered beauty of line, profile, form follows function. Lee and company I can do nothing to improve on the beauty of your flying wing except to suggest. Nothing!

The topside of my Titan is dark with accent colors. The bottom side of my Titan is a light color, gray. I've lost control of planes because of disorientation. I lost the plane on its maiden because of that. So I made the bottom sidelight in the topside dark with a general color reference in the middle, blue both sides.

I'm as happy as if I had my right mind I'm supposed to be working on Thomas Edison, I think Thomas would understand.

DJ
PS: am I on my second glass of wine?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:53 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,307 Posts
I have some old pictures of planes and me from the 1980s. All of these were my original designs I cut from foam. Flying wings in RC were uncommon then. Many flyers didn't believe that flying wings were more than a gimmick. It was hard to get others to try them.

I was disqualified from a slope speed competition with the fiberglass plane I am holding on the top left because it could turn so fast that it would leave the conventional planes far behind. They put me in the flying wing class and I was the only one so I guess I did win my class. I used to do a lot of fiberglassing. The red white and black plane in the snow (held by Mike) and the speed plane were fiberglassed foam. The B2 has balsa sheeting over foam. The rest are Econocoat over foam.

If you look you will see that many of the basic ideas I was working on then have evolved into the planes we have on our web site now. Nothing wrong with experimentation. All of these planes were fantastic flyers except the B2 which flew but had a strange tip stall.

I was even doing aerial photography back then. The picture is of the Saratoga RC flying field in Lehi Utah. Notice how the river wrapped around the flying field. I crashed the big delta into that river.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jan 13, 2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:02 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
331 Posts
1022 (the orange and white wing) looks like a SPAD without the horiz stab. Was it corroplast? I'm thinking of converting my Albatross into something like that, as a sport plane (but with the stab).
michaelingp is online now Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:42 PM
no one knows i'm a dog
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
1022 (the orange and white wing) looks like a SPAD without the horiz stab. Was it corroplast? I'm thinking of converting my Albatross into something like that, as a sport plane (but with the stab).
It also looks like the Scimitar by Bill Evans of Bishop CA. I have yet to fly mine.
dawgpilot is offline Find More Posts by dawgpilot
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:17 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
Lee,
Back in the mid-70's my father flew slope gliders over San Clemente CA. He flew with his buddies Bruce Brown (of surf film legend and early off-road motorcycling) and a few others. Hobbie Alter was another and he developed and sold the "Hobbie Hawk" after getting hooked on RC. I was on the young side and my father didn't let me in to the hobby due to the expense but I often tagged along to watch. One of Bruce Brown's sons flew a glider wing back then and it was the only one I had ever seen. It flew well. Within a few years the hobby faded away and no one flew in those hills anymore, not sure why though. I built a 2meter Glider that I still have at that time but never really learned how to fly it. I used my dads old Heathkit RC gear. Eventually I'm going to put some new gear in that thing and fly it now that I know how to fly RC. It's only taken me thirty five years to find the time and make the effort to learn RC aircraft.

I love the old pictures, keep em coming!
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:02 PM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
E-fly motor?

Hello,
I just build 1 Assassin, and in my office I managed to get 6 other guys buying the assassin. they are all building this week end
I think I made some mistake on the first one so before I try to fix them all on this one I am building another one so I can compare.
For the Assassin I am trying to use locally purchased parts only and the hobby shop here carries only E-fly motors and I am not sure which one to buy that will fit the mount and give enough juice.

Do you guys have a recommendation? outrunner 370? 400?
thank you!

as soon as the weather clears out here (Oregon...) will post pictures. (if it ever clears out here...)
scbfr is offline Find More Posts by scbfr
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:27 PM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
278 Posts
Hey guys,
I'm building a Widowmaker and using the laminate for the first time. Watched the video 5 times. My experience is with Monocote and balsa. Iron on and it looks like a wrinkled mess, hot air to pull it tight and it looks beautiful. Maybe I'm scared to put too much heat on the EPP but what I've done so far (1/2 of the wing) is wrinkly, loose and it crinkles when I flex the wing. Will it shrink and be smooth? Is this what to expect? Has anyone used a heat gun to shrink it? Thanks for all advice.
Backyard is offline Find More Posts by Backyard