HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:20 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Luis, you are blessed living in such a beautiful country, thanks for sharing.

Blu
Blu, Nice to see that your up and around there. Hope your feeling better
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:40 AM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,388 Posts
Do you think? Thank you so much dear friend Blu!

Best regards from Brazil - Rio de Janeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Luis, you are blessed living in such a beautiful country, thanks for sharing.

Blu
Luis_Claudio is online now Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:14 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,153 Posts
Houston we've got a problem!

A little background and I'll try to be brief. The key word there is try. I fly an assassin at the airfield, nobody had seen one until I brought mine there. We have three combat flyers myself and to others but I don't fly combat, I'm just trying to fly it just looks like I'm flying combat I am the target but my flying skills are such that it looks like I'm in combat. The assassin with its lack of winglets is the coolest one of all I like them both fly and love it. They fly pop wings.

I'm gonna introduce them to the 'Titan' in a few days but I ran into a problem. I hope to hell I didn't screw this thing up put it together.

It's left wing is warped backwards 3/8 of an inch off the straight line centered. It's a right wing it straight but it's elevon is warped 3/8 of an inch. So I'm trying to figure out it is gonna work out to warp the elevon's to match the wing.

Would y'all please look at these photos and tell me what you think I can do. Also I put some photos up of the color scheme. You see I have high expectations for its beauty and I'll learn to fly it.

"Looking good getting there is half the fun of going" - Greg Rhoder

I wish I can add more to this conversation then save me save me but please save me.

DJ
Name: Titan Profile bottom Final copy.jpg
Views: 64
Size: 85.2 KB
Description:

Name: P1094659.JPG
Views: 44
Size: 71.7 KB
Description:

Name: P1094660.JPG
Views: 43
Size: 60.9 KB
Description:

Name: P1094661.JPG
Views: 40
Size: 50.1 KB
Description:
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:42 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,153 Posts
Name: Titan Profile.jpg
Views: 38
Size: 49.8 KB
Description:
This is what the top of the plane is supposed to look like. I've got all the decals and so forth and I got the sticky backed paper to print them on.

The assassin looks really cool in the air and I can already tell it's more nimble than the pop wings but the Titan won't be quite as nimble it is a really big flying wing!

I show up with more stuff than anybody out there, I pull up in my little Ford Ranger with a topper and I take out a 5 foot wide Cessna 182 weights nearly 6 pounds, I got my pilots license flying than (6 weeks ago = learners permit). Then there's a Bixler II and it's not stock, painted up as a Coast Guard search and rescue plane, vertical to 1000 feet still accelerating. A little GWS E-Starter with a beautiful red orange and yellow paint job, it's a trainer and the kit costs $34. Last time at the field I must have knocked the landing gear off of it
four or five times, you just pop it back in. The elevator had reversed itself.com it made for the most spectacular ground loops that the old boys said they had seen in a while.

They had never seen a boomerang launch before I did that with my assassin, a plane they had never seen before. I practiced with it elsewhere so when I got there with my plane I could just took it and laid it on the wind (wind never stops blowing here in the winter).

I think my assassin is beautiful and I think my Titan will be the cruiser. In the air the Titan is breathtaking. I've got a whistle I bought from warbirds in the UK. It goes on my P 51 Mustang it duplicates the sound of two states supercharger on the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine, I'll stick that bad boy in the bottom of my Titan 'The Screaming Titan'.

I said something about being brief I will apologize in the next post, for sure.

I sure hope I didn't warp this thing to the point where it wil notl fly right,

DJ
Last edited by Sculptor; Jan 09, 2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:37 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,892 Posts
Is the trailing edge of the wing or the elevon warped? Use a straight edge and see.

If it is the wing use a straight edge and razor blade to cut and straighten the trailing edge of the wing and then patch the laminate where you cut. Make sure both wing halves match.

If it is the elevon you may try to reheat the elevon and straighten it. I have heard of making a relief cut or several cuts through the laminate only along the elevon to allow it to be straightened and relaminated with another single layer of laminate.

What you don't want to do is bend the elevon so it follows the the trailing edge of the wing or it will bind and twist the elevon. You would be better off leaving a gap that is bridged with the tape and laminate hinge.

If none of this works you can get a spar pair of elevons if you contact us through our web site

Lee
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:55 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Is the trailing edge of the wing or the elevon warped? Use a straight edge and see.

If it is the wing use a straight edge and razor blade to cut and straighten the trailing edge of the wing and then patch the laminate where you cut. Make sure both wing halves match.

If it is the elevon you may try to reheat the elevon and straighten it. I have heard of making a relief cut or several cuts through the laminate only along the elevon to allow it to be straightened and relaminated with another single layer of laminate.

What you don't want to do is bend the elevon so it follows the the trailing edge of the wing or it will bind and twist the elevon. You would be better off leaving a gap that is bridged with the tape and laminate hinge.

If none of this works you can get a spar pair of elevons if you contact us through our web site

Lee
Lee, I have both the right wing it straight but the elevon is warped. The left wing is warped but the elevon it straight. So if I'm understanding you on the left wing which is warped cut the warped out of it. And on the right wing which it straight but has a warped elevator try and fix the elevator. Make a little jig stick it in their, heated up with a heat gun.

The thank you I will get right on that,

DJ
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:00 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,153 Posts
Lee thank you, I think what I'm going to do is try reshape the right elevon with heat and do the same thing to the left elevon where the wing is actually crooked. I'll try to shape the elevons to the wing.

Is my thinking right on that?

DJ
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:35 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
Would my 40a esc be able to handle this setup? I have a couple of 4s 2500's that I use on another plane that I could use.. Already have the 7x6 props

I know the specs on HK's site says 70a but just wondered what you were pulling.

The 2812 that I rewound is ok, but I just really want to be much faster.. I don't know how my rewind compares but when I hooked it up to the watt meter it was 320 watts @ 29 amps.. that was burst.. leveled out at about 270 watts and 25 amps if I remember.. that's on a 3s 1000 mah 25-40C I have a couple of 3s 1400's coming that are 45-90C, curious to see how much difference it will make.
My flying buddy has rewound a couple of 2812s with 8 turns. You should still be able to use a 40a ESC. That would help a little.
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:39 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Lee thank you, I think what I'm going to do is try reshape the right elevon with heat and do the same thing to the left elevon where the wing is actually crooked. I'll try to shape the elevons to the wing.

Is my thinking right on that?

DJ
I think he means that the hinge line must be straight no matter what. If the hinge line is curved, it will bind when the servo trys to move it up and down. I'd re-cut the one that isn't straight if heat won't fix it.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:08 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
905 Posts
warped elevon = reheat and re-shape
warped wing = cut to straight, relaminate
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:11 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,153 Posts
Yea! We did it the Titan is fixed. In order to cut the left-wing straight by the time I finished cut it would've taken nearly 1 inch out of the end of the wing and I figured the elevon would not matchup right. So I went to Lee's plan B I cut a relief slot in both elevon's, made three sets of tape hinges for each elevon, then bent the elevon to match the wing, taped them. Then I cut a relief slot in the middle of each, covered each hinge with laminate as well as the relief slot. Then taped on top of the relief slot top and bottom and finished all with laminate hinges full length.

It works just great and that damn laminate is tougher than Superman's kneecap. The elevon's move just fine and are as stiff as wood.

Thank you Lee and everyone else. We did it!
A grateful DJ

Name: 05.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 71.7 KB
Description:

Name: 07.jpg
Views: 50
Size: 32.3 KB
Description:

Name: 04.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 42.7 KB
Description:

Name: 01.jpg
Views: 53
Size: 84.7 KB
Description:
Last edited by Sculptor; Jan 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:30 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,153 Posts
Well I got my Titan straightened out and began to decorated it. I'm done with the bottom and I have a design for the top. I thought I could use a flame design that I downloaded printed on transparent paper, the flames did not work, once the white background is peeled off the transparent film the color just isn't there. So I change the plan for the topside and posted a photo of my intention.

Thanks again y'all for getting me out of that warped airplane warped elevon situation that I woke up to this morning.

I want to depart completely from the equipment location instructions in the usual instructions. This is not a criticism!

I want to put all the mechanical equipment, battery ESC and servos in the bottom of the plane. The only thing I want to see on top are the tips of the servo arms and the control rods.

I know I need to think about how well protected they are on the top. The way I fly all that stuff is in danger anyway. I want to walk back to the flight line casually drop my Titan on the concrete without breaking stride. There will be nothing on top!

Please don't be offended by my ignorance as to why this might not be a good idea.

On the bottom side I intend to put the battery in wide side down. I will cut a discrete track to hide the balance charge plug.

I'm creating this plane as I describe it to you. In the arts we call it chalkboarding. It's a situation where you have no need to hear it it's speakers need to say it.
To say it requires all the thoughts be organized into a verbal form so the second stage of creativity can begin. Actualization!

I'm trying to figure out a way to keep servo horns from even protruding above the surface. I don't know if there's room for that yet.

I know this is all about impression management but as a sculptor that's just what I do. "Half the fun of going is looking good getting there'.

DJ tell me how to accomplish this!
Or the best we can do toward that end Name: P1104670.jpg
Views: 45
Size: 226.3 KB
Description:

Name: P1104671.jpg
Size: 107.5 KB
Description:

Name: P1104672.JPG
Size: 91.9 KB
Description:

Name: Titan top final-1.jpg
Views: 44
Size: 176.3 KB
Description:
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:01 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,153 Posts
If I'm going to set up the elevon servos in the bottom of the wing can I not take those servos and move them out to the middle of the elevon? I have an assassin and I never like the fact that the control device was trying to move the elevon from its edge instead of the center.

DJ, just wondering why
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:12 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Finally got out today with the 370 zoom and a 6/4 lottsa fun lol. Motor came down at 32 celsius after hard flying in about 6 degree outside temps... Im tempted to go 6/5 lol
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:25 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,892 Posts
Remember the purpose of this plane was combat. We found the best way to protect the radio and battery and prevent them from ejecting out the bottom was to mount them in from the top. We had some comical battery ejections during testing and found that ejection was much less likely if the radio was inserted from the top.

We also kept breaking the servo arms off with servos under the wing. If we buried the push rods we would have the wing break along the push rods so we came up with our present building design.

I am always interested in what people come up with. Keep us informed. Nothing wrong with a little testing and modification.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee