HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:01 AM
Mt. Airy, NC
Joined Aug 2004
331 Posts
Well after debating on which wing to go with I finally had decided on the Assassin.. (Christmas gift from my wife)

little history..
I had been into RC for several years and had gotten out of it for about 5 years..

Here is a link to one of the wings I flew back in '07 when I sold it and I wanted something comparable.. That 36" wing always made my hands tremble at WOT haha.. LOVED that wing and hated to sell it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759513

I was able to build the Assassin over the holidays and the build went really well.. no hiccups or anything other than the CG was a tad bit off so I slid 2 fender washers (1.25 oz) in front of the battery..

btw, I only had a couple of 1000 mah so when I get a bigger battery I may be able to do away with one of the washers or at least put in smaller ones.. Speaking of which.. looks like there has been a buying spree on 1300 batteries.. not many in stock so may go with a couple of 1400 nano-techs.

I also did my first rewind ever on one of the 2812 motors.. went ok other than losing count many times haha Sloppy but it worked! The motor seems to sound rough though?? Dunno if that's normal for a rewound motor? I may try and shoot a video to show you folks just to get some feedback.

Finally was ready to maiden it and the wind has been terrible... but I wasn't about to wait any longer.. Tossed it up in what was probably 15 mph winds and this thing flew beautifully! I've been flying a super fast Mini Pop Wing for a while so I was prepared for the wind..

Felt great to have a great maiden with no issues.. maybe a couple of clicks where I may have had too much reflex but that was about it.. I even flew it in some 30+ winds the next day..

Last night right at dawn the winds finally calmed to get a good feel.. at WOT it doesn't seem to be as fast as the wing I linked to from back in '07 but it's pretty close. I have a wattmeter but waiting on connectors to hook it up and will get an idea of what kind of #'s I'm getting..

Came in at just over 19oz
Hurc 40a ESC
7x6 prop
Hitec 82MG servos
2812 rewound motor

Here's a couple of pics.. I obviously wasn't going for "pretty" ha.. but at least I can see it!!

Hopefully I can talk my neighbor into getting one and I can't wait to fly this thing more as the winds calm here in the NC Foothills!

GREAT PLANE!!

BlueDevil is offline Find More Posts by BlueDevil
Last edited by BlueDevil; Dec 31, 2012 at 09:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:17 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Very nice! I've never met anyone disappointed with the assassin.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:01 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,008 Posts
I like the Assassin. It is a unique design that flies better than most conventional designs. I really do believe it is the "toughest plane on the planet."

The Assassin will go fast if you get a motor that pushes at a high air speed. The 2812 only has an airspeed of 70 mph so you won't see the plane fly any faster than that with the stock motor. I have seen Assassins flying well over 100 mph but I didn't pay attention to what motors they were using but know they were flying 4S.

I have gotten several questions about how to make an Assassin fly even slower for indoor flying. If you want to fly slower you need to build it lighter. The cores don't weigh very much. The foam cores are only 3 oz. Everything else is extra. It is the motor mount, Formica plate, spar, tape, laminate, hinging, batteries, servos, hardware and everything else that adds the weight. I don't know how slow an Assassin can fly but the slowest flying plane will be built without most of the extras and use a very light motor and electronic set up.

Because it is EPP and a thick wing it will still be tough even without tape and laminate. I would still keep the Shock Cord but replace it with braided fishing line and use CA glue to keep it light. I wouldn't even use the spar because the thick wing will be strong enough if being built light and flown slow. I would build the motor mount out of EPP like we do on the Scythe to keep the weight down. I would cut lighter fins out of thin plastic. he EPP elevons would have to be stiffened or light balsa elevons used if you weren't laminating. I would use the fins and not cut the angles for a super slow flyer.

The Widowmaker possibly could be flown slower because it has less drag but may need the spar for stiffness and fins for stability. The secret is light weight.

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Dec 31, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:07 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefte View Post
Is there no concern with what side of the prop has the "precision" hole?
I've been thinking about this a bit lately. Back in the "old" days, when I flew nitro planes in the .46 range, there was all this conventional wisdom about props, about making the hole perfect, and balancing it perfectly. People would put a dab of paint on a prop to get the balance perfectly. You could buy a magnetic prop balancer that suspended the prop in the air totally without friction so you could balance it down to the microgram. And I did that for awhile myself, until it got to be too much hassle and I just bolted the props on from the store and couldn't tell any difference.

Now, with these electric motors and props, we just lash the props on the motor with a rubber band (O ring) and everything seems to work fine. Amazing!
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Jul 2010
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I like the Assassin. It is a unique design that flies better than most conventional designs. I really do believe it is the "toughest plane on the planet."

I have gotten several questions about how to make an Assassin fly even slower for indoor flying. If you want to fly slower you need to build it lighter. The cores don't weigh very much. The foam cores are only 3 oz. Everything else is extra. It is the motor mount, Formica plate, spar, tape, laminate, hinging, batteries, servos, hardware and everything else that adds the weight. I don't know how slow an Assassin can fly but the slowest flying plane will be built without most of the extras and use a very light motor and electronic set up.

Because it is EPP and a thick wing it will still be tough even without tape and laminate. I would still keep the Shock Cord but replace it with braided fishing line and use CA glue to keep it light. I wouldn't even use the spar because the thick wing will be strong enough if being built light and flown slow. I would build the motor mount out of EPP like we do on the Scythe to keep the weight down. I would cut lighter fins out of thin plastic. he EPP elevons would have to be stiffened or light balsa elevons used if you weren't laminating. I would use the fins and not cut the angles for a super slow flyer.

The Widowmaker possibly could be flown slower because it has less drag but may need the spar for stiffness and fins for stability. The secret is light weight.

Lee
I am using the HK 2612 KV1900 with 5x5.5 on a Scythe, and plan to use on a light Widowmaker under construction.

The HK 2612 with its built in propsaver,+HK 12Amp ESC and foam motor mount are 1/3rd weight of a red 2812 with the 20 Amp ESC and S/S motor mount and propsaver, turns the same 7x5 or even a 8x4 on HK specs?

Anyone else tried HK2612? How long will it last?

Maybe a super light WM with shortened wing tips and larger fins for indoors?~~~~H
CaribbeanBlue is offline Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:26 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:

Because it is EPP and a thick wing it will still be tough even without tape and laminate. I would still keep the Shock Cord but replace it with braided fishing line and use CA glue to keep it light.

Lee
On this side of the water we would say the Raven wing from flyingwings.uk
http://www.flyingwings.co.uk/store/index.php?cPath=157
is the toughest wing on the planet,but as it's only sold in the UK it's defo the toughest over here..

Assassin toughest wing in the USA yes,defo ..
nobody sells it in the UK or Europe which is ashame and ordered from CTH it comes in at $85(=65) posted over to Europe for just the wing.
the Raven Mega Deal is only 75 and all you need is a Tx/Rx and your flying .

When I do get my Assassin (still waiting for the wife to buy me one)
I'll pit it against some Ravens for some combat fun (we have 6 Raven pilots in our flying club) ..So with 5 Ravens against 1 Assassin , we'll see how tough it is..or how good I am at combat

The braided fishing line you refer too is that the orange coloured line that has multi strands..

Sean

Happy NewYear every one..
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:59 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post

The braided fishing line you refer too is that the orange coloured line that has multi strands..

Sean

Happy NewYear every one..
We have shipped several Assassins and other planes to Ireland. We have some FPV planes over there too.

Look at how the battery is mounted in the Assassin and you will see the difference. The batteries get mushroomed in hits with them built into the plane with an end facing forward. Shoot a video like this one with your plane.

Assassin vs Brick Wall 3-12 (4 min 14 sec)

We use 30 lb test Spider Wire fishing line on the smaller Scythe. You don't want a plastic line but a fiber line so it will glue.
Last edited by Lee; Dec 31, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:12 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
We have shipped several Assassins and other planes to Ireland.

We use 30 lb test Spider Wire fishing line on the Scythe. You don't want a plastic line but a fiber line.
You'll be shipping another one to Ireland soon...

I'd never came across a shock cord untill I'd heard of the Assassin,but hope to incoporate it into other wing builds in the future , but untill I get my Assassin I've no idea of what the shock cord is made of..

So if I went to my local fishing store and asked for fiber fishing line they'd know what I was talking about.

Or could you use Carbon tow as a shock cord ?

Sean
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:13 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanBlue View Post
I am using the HK 2612 KV1900 with 5x5.5 on a Scythe, and plan to use on a light Widowmaker under construction.

The HK 2612 with its built in propsaver,+HK 12Amp ESC and foam motor mount are 1/3rd weight of a red 2812 with the 20 Amp ESC and S/S motor mount and propsaver, turns the same 7x5 or even a 8x4 on HK specs?

Anyone else tried HK2612? How long will it last?

Maybe a super light WM with shortened wing tips and larger fins for indoors?~~~~H
If you cut the plane down you will increase the wing loading and the speed.

I am interested in seeing what you come up with and how it flies. Keep us posted
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:52 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,930 Posts
Happy New Year fellow Wingmen and Assassins!
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:58 PM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,054 Posts
Happy new year everyone!

We held our first combat session of the year today on a local lake. Here is a shot of my Reaper collecting 2 streamers from an Assassin.

I'll post more pics of the lake when my flying buddy sends them!
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:45 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,393 Posts
I could not believe a wing could let me in love more than a airplane. This wing is an amazing RC flyer. The speed, the noise, the maneuverability and the toughest, makes it one of my best airplanes (I have more than 20 at home) !

Happy new Year for all!!!!!

Quote:

The Assassin will go fast if you get a motor that pushes at a high air speed. The 2812 only has an airspeed of 70 mph so you won't see the plane fly any faster than that with the stock motor. I have seen Assassins flying well over 100 mph but I didn't pay attention to what motors they were using but know they were flying 4S.

Lee
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:31 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,172 Posts
Happy new year y'all!!!

I got my assassin ready to fly again, had a problem with warped ailerons straighten those out I had something set wrong in my TX and I now have that straightened out.

I've only flown this plane successfully three or four times. I bought it because I am a student pilot the and I wanted it for reflex training. Nobody in my flight club either has one or had ever seen one until I brought that thing out. My flight instructor trimmed it for me and now I'm ready to be a flying target. We only have a couple of combat guys and they all fly pop wings. I want to 'pop their wings'but I must become a better flyer to do that.

I'm getting good at the swing wing launch which is so cool since nobody else at the airfield knows how to do that. It is prettier in the air than those other combat wings just from in shape. I fly no winglets making it look more dangerous than the others. They did know there was a combat plane that could fly without those little things.

I know I'm rambling but I had an error in my set up causing one servo to move only half as far as it should in one direction. This is the second night that I have spent time trying to figure that out it was in my TX settings, and since I got that fixed I've been just sitting here with my transmitter in my assassin dialing it in. I'm as happy as if I had my right mind.

I am so new at this flying that the assassin is the only plan I have that I fly with no fear because it's indestructible!

Thanks for listening all this stuff I'm just so happy to have this thing flyable again,

DJ a.k.a. kamikaze ace "he wares no helmet!"
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:41 AM
Mt. Airy, NC
Joined Aug 2004
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunight View Post
It's a Turnigy 30c 2.45 mAh 4s; puts out 877 watts with the 7x6 Hobbyking prop.

It's good for 5:30 flight time - combat flying pulling streamers with more than a few full power passes leaves about 3.79 volts per cell at the end of the flight.
Would my 40a esc be able to handle this setup? I have a couple of 4s 2500's that I use on another plane that I could use.. Already have the 7x6 props

I know the specs on HK's site says 70a but just wondered what you were pulling.

The 2812 that I rewound is ok, but I just really want to be much faster.. I don't know how my rewind compares but when I hooked it up to the watt meter it was 320 watts @ 29 amps.. that was burst.. leveled out at about 270 watts and 25 amps if I remember.. that's on a 3s 1000 mah 25-40C I have a couple of 3s 1400's coming that are 45-90C, curious to see how much difference it will make.
BlueDevil is offline Find More Posts by BlueDevil
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:01 PM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
Would my 40a esc be able to handle this setup? I have a couple of 4s 2500's that I use on another plane that I could use.. Already have the 7x6 props

I know the specs on HK's site says 70a but just wondered what you were pulling.
I cant remember the exact amps but it was close to 80...I dont think your 40A ESC wouldn't last long
Trent
blunight is offline Find More Posts by blunight