HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:13 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irsyad17 View Post
Hi, Im very interested in your 20"-30" plane..But i need help cause i don't know which one to buy..
Firstly,i don't really have a huge place to play. Around a size of soccer field or half than that...
Secondly,im a beginner to flying wings.i also want something slow.so is the scythe a good choice since it comes in two pack also. But is it easy to fly cause the smaller they are, they are more agile right?
Thanks.
Are you new to flying at all? Or just new to flying wings? If this is your first foray into rc flight at all, I'd say the Albatross or pelican are great planes to learn on, and you'll still enjoy them when you're experienced too.

If you've flown before, but are just new to flying wings, then considering you said you have limited space, my opinion would be a lightly built assassin. It's probably the toughest wing in the world, and will take any abuse you can dish out. It responds well, glides well, and can be pretty zippy when you want it to.

The reason I wouldn't say the scythe is just because it's so responsive. Even built light, and with very small throws in the elevons, it's just a little squirrel of a wing, and will turn on a dime at your movement of the stick. Not incorrectly, just quickly. I find my scythe is more work to fly, and my other wings are more enjoyable.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:56 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
You are getting great performance. Can you doppler the speed or do you have a speed gun?
No Doppler or radar available for now. I heard there was an iPhone app? If someone know of one that works let me know. Best guess is 60 mph+?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamyflyerr View Post
Nice fllying there whirlcap. Come on down any time and fly with the East Bay Boys. Your always welcome at our field.

Loved the almost snow dart move there, reminds me of Dave's touch and go he did with his.
I don't know when I'll be out that way in the near future but if something comes up I'll get in touch for sure. I get out to Santa Maria a couple times a year but cut diagonally across to get there. I usually pack a plane when I go but seldom get to fly it. Trying to find the time and weather when I'm down there to get some AV over Pismo Beach.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:10 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Does anyone here already used the APP for Iphone called Speedclock? Did it worked to measure the wing speed?

speedClock iPhone App Demo by DailyAppShow (2 min 36 sec)

Quote:
You are getting great performance. Can you doppler the speed or do you have a speed gun?
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:43 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,330 Posts
You are going to laugh but if you can get some good video of low straight passes over your head on video and post it on youtube I can doppler your speed off the video.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:11 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
You are going to laugh but if you can get some good video of low straight passes over your head on video and post it on youtube I can doppler your speed off the video.
I can try. You mean, plane coming at me, passing directly over-head and going away. Stationary camera position or will hat cam work?

Sorry, your discription is probably good enough but figure I would ask since for it to work I would guess you need a pretty accurate video clip.

EDIT...

just bought the app posted above, has mixed reviews but for 2 bucks... it looks like something to play with.
Last edited by whirlcap; Dec 30, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Oct 2012
76 Posts
@Lee,
Thank you for the info.i will do more reading on scythe thread..
Btw this type of 4 to 6 channel Tx will work for your wings? I wan another Tx for my lil bro to play around..
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_Mode_2_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_Mode_2_.html
irsyad17 is offline Find More Posts by irsyad17
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:37 PM
Joined Oct 2012
76 Posts
@elCapitan,
Thank you for your opinion also.. Im new to wings only but I dont fly regularly.. Since Lee said that scythe can also build for gentle flyin n I have seen some vids of it... since theres 2 pack. Another is for combat I think..
irsyad17 is offline Find More Posts by irsyad17
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:40 PM
United States, MN, Garrison
Joined May 2004
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
I have the same motor and prop and read the same with my meter, it was also showing just over 300 watts. I'm using a 40 amp ESC because the place I ordered from was out of 30's and gave me 40's for the same price. There should be a bit of head room on your 30 if its a quality unit... I'd run it without worry.

EDIT...... rechecked the motor specs for the Zoom 370. says 24 amps max. I might be pushing it with this prop on a 3 cell.
I see a few other guys running the same set up, 24-25 was the draw at full throttle if I back off a little it will bring it down so I think I will adjust the throttle end point. From what I hear it is crazy fast at full throttle anyway and I really don't need all the speed. We'll see its only a 13 dollar motor, if she blows she goes!! Thanks for check on this for me
two-stroke is offline Find More Posts by two-stroke
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:48 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,022 Posts
I think I'm the 1st to start using this motor and it's up to 20-30 flights now at mostly WOT and working great. I'm sure in flight the draw is lower then at static. No heat issues with any of ours. I like it.

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:08 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
I think I'm the 1st to start using this motor and it's up to 20-30 flights now at mostly WOT and working great. I'm sure in flight the draw is lower then at static. No heat issues with any of ours. I like it.

Blu

Been away for a while. new motor? Do you have a link?
I have an Assassin on the workbench. I might be interested in trying something new.

Thanks,
Bombay
Night Flying Accessories for Sale (LEDs, controllers)
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:41 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,022 Posts
HeadsupRC, Powerup 370 Zoom, APC 6x4E

Blu
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:48 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
Been away for a while. new motor? Do you have a link?
I have an Assassin on the workbench. I might be interested in trying something new.

Thanks,
Bombay
Night Flying Accessories for Sale (LEDs, controllers)
Here is the link
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...70-Zoom/Detail
I found that a APC 4.5X4.5E prop is almost as fast and draws 20 amps and was something like 225 watts or so power on a 3 cell. I went back to using the APC 6X4E and that is what is on in the above video. The 6X4 was showing 300 watts output. For reasons I have no clue about an APC 6X3E draws even more amps than the 6X4 and was something like 350 watts. that one might burn out the motor but I think that Blu is correct and the 6X4 won't hurt it. My readings were with a fresh fully charged battery too. I did pick up the Power Up Zoom 400 to swap out but have not done it yet and may not. If I was buying for the first time, might get the 400 if speed was my main concern. It's only like a buck more. Heads Up has cheap shipping (USA) and has gotten items to my door in 2days after ordering. Excellent vender!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:17 PM
Foam Newbie
Melbourne, FL
Joined Sep 2010
677 Posts
Quote:
The old gas or glow motors only turned one direction so they needed a different prop for pusher planes. Electric motors can turn either direction so they don't need a special prop, you just change the direction of the rotation of the motor by switching any two of the three wires from the ESC to the motor and make sure the front of the prop is still facing forward and it works.

That is why we can recommend the same motor, ESC and prop for our slow fly puller Albatross as we do for the pusher Assassin and Widowmaker. The parts are all the same it is just how you set it up.

Lee
Is there no concern with what side of the prop has the "precision" hole?

In regards to the 370 zoom motor and 6x4apc, I don't have a wattmeter (I know...) but my 370 comes down very hot after pushing my jet around during a 3min flight with lots of WOT.

The backplate is hot enough to burn you. Even with a 40A esc. I'm looking for more speed and wonder if propping down might help. I'll be watching this thread and blu's antics. Love to see that 400 zoom be put to use, or perhaps some 4s action. Heheh
Jefte is offline Find More Posts by Jefte
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:07 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,330 Posts
You set the amp draw of your motor by the prop you use.

It hasn't been a problem on the insert with the precision hole on one side of the prop. I often don't use the inserts anyway.

If your motor or ESC or batteries are running too hot use a smaller prop.

One inch of diameter is about the same as 2 pitch so an 8x4 is about the same pull as a 7x6.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:59 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,022 Posts
Good info