Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:10 PM
TOO MUCH FUN!!
USA, SC, CAMPOBELLO
Joined Jun 2002
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Glenn View Post
Billdad1:
Nice plane. What are you using for laminate?
I have a couple in the works, and like the laminate finish. The thinnest I have been able to find is 3mm, and that is really stiff.

Thanks
Terry
On this one I used the laminate that is supplied. My first one I used ultra coat that I already had. The weight difference is very little. Both are strong.
billdad1 is offline Find More Posts by billdad1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:00 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,256 Posts
Got in more flights today. Two packs in 8-10 mph wind. Didn't fly as well as expected, notice a fair amount of nose drop in turns and yaw stability was noticeably semi-poor. The winglets I put on are above and below the tip and are toed in a few degree's. they didn't help much with vertical launches, I tried a couple but didn't pull a single one off without crashing. Going to remove them and cut the flat tip angles per instructions. They are probably causing more drag than necessary and doing a poor job of stabilizing. They are my own design and not the material from the kit, they are also much larger than the supplied tips and should not reflect on Lee's tip design in a negative way, mine suck . Still digesting what to do actually, may trim them a ton before total removal and see how that works first. As for crash testing, worked extremely well . I did many direct nose in's mostly because I wasn't worried about hitting the ground hard. No damage at all and even my over-sized tips didn't have a problem. (They are made from 9mm EPP and single layer laminated too)
whirlcap is online now Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:09 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,981 Posts
You have to fly these wings WC. Once you hit that curve you're going to love the Assassin. 2-3 good flights and you'll see.

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:12 PM
i can't learn fast enough
Aubur, NY-- Finger Lakes
Joined Mar 2009
203 Posts
Thanks.
yes I meant 3mil, heheheh.
Merry Christmas
Terry Glenn is offline Find More Posts by Terry Glenn
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:33 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,143 Posts
Here is the latest video of the Herc Pusher flying. Compare the size of the Herc to the Assassin in the first frame of the video.

Hercules Pusher Maiden flight (4 min 27 sec)
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:27 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
You have to fly these wings WC. Once you hit that curve you're going to love the Assassin. 2-3 good flights and you'll see.

Blu
I'm sure your right. I have a ton of time with my Mini Popwing and I guess I have expectations based on that. Different wing in many many ways I know. I need a calm day to dial in the trim too. I was still hunting for the right settings and the 35 degree weather wasn't helping battery perfomance either.

I trimmed the winglets down to the approximate size of the poster board tips from the kit and did a bit more color tape. I also got the CG right on the mark, it was very slightly aft of the 6.5 inches, now it's dead on. All these minor things added to the problems I'm sure. Not unhappy by any means, just need to tweak the little bugs out like any other plane. Need to back out some of the expo I added too. 40% is too much.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:28 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,143 Posts
Merry Christmas everyone!!!

The Muppets: Ringing of the Bells (1 min 26 sec)
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Here is the latest video of the Herc Pusher flying. Compare the size of the Herc to the Assassin in the first frame of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29NHownCK_c
Lee, just how cold is it there? You guys obviously are willing to fly in much colder weather than I am, so far, but maybe I need an attitude adjustment.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:48 PM
no one knows i'm a dog
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Hello all, and Merry Christmas everyone

New here. finishing up a Widowmaker and have appreciated all the build info in this thread. Thought I would contribute my build notes too in case some may find them useful. I have 72mhz radio gear so I'm waiting for a base loaded antenna to arrive before doing the final setup. I didn't want to cut a slit or tape the long antenna on the top. Dave Thacker at RadicalRC has been making them up and he sells them for $10.

AUW of the bird is 16.75 oz. including 1300 3.78oz batt. 14g bb servos
balances at 6.5 ins back with no additional weight. the slot and battery cutouts are per Lee's spec.
GG used throughout with the exception of the fins and control horns. there i used Loctite vinyl, fabric, & plastic transparent flexible adhesive. a very good lightweight glue.
I found GG can be used very sparingly with good results. 2 or 3 drops spread very thin with a credit card is all it took to bond the wing halves. later when cutting the battery cavity i could see how good the bond is. The carbon spar was set at the COG 6.5 in back from the nose. I left the spar flush with the surface of the wing and taped over with extreme tape. the tape was left on so that the spar is glued to the tape and thus also to the skin of the plane after laminating and applying heat. it may or may not make a difference but i wanted an integral connection there to possibly maximize stiffess. The extreme tape weighs only .1 g per sq in. and the lam weighs .05g per sq in. So I taped the nose back all the way to the spar but used a 1 in wide piece along the leading edge to save weight behind the COG. any grams that can be saved behind the COG is compounded by not having to counter with weight in front. elevon tips were clipped and new control rods made from 7/64 carbon tube with a short 1/16 music wire z bend for the servo end and a short piece of 1/16 carbon rod for the horn end. the carbon tube is very light and very stiff. no staples were needed and each control rod weighs .9 grams. however in a combat hit a weak point would be where the c rod is glued in the tube. But even the Borg Cube had a weak point right. lol... Decoration nothing special. holographic stick paper from the Ben Franklin store. Design inspired by Lee's Squaw peak plane. One question I have. Is it best to have the servo arm perpendicular to the control rod at neutral or does it get pointed one spline tooth toward the front or back? The pdf instructions say perpendicular but this was discussed somewhere in the thread regarding a different deflection in either the up or down elevon being and advanage maybe.
dawgpilot is offline Find More Posts by dawgpilot
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:13 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Well, for 99% of people out there, whether it's exactly perpendicular, one tooth forward or one tooth back will make absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Then again, you seem to be doing your build with attention to even incredibly minute details. Someone else would have to say which is more efficient, but let me put it this way... I've seen assassins with all sorts of power setups doing all sorts of maneuvers (including plenty of crashes) and in no situation I've ever seen would one tooth difference in position have made a difference in performance. Either your servo is strong enough to hold the eleven under high speed, or it's not,
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:55 PM
United States, MN, Garrison
Joined May 2004
325 Posts
I am looking for some advice I just did a amp draw test on my set up and I am wondering if my battery will take this draw. Here is what I am running:

Power Zoom 370
6X4e prop
30 esc
3s 1300 mah 30C
.......at full throttle it draws 29amp for a second or two then falls off and holds around 25-24amps while running at full
Do you think the battery is ok with this heavy draw??
two-stroke is offline Find More Posts by two-stroke
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:24 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,981 Posts
You'll get 4-5 minutes WOT or 5-8 mixed. We fly mostly towards the dark side lol

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:15 PM
United States, CT, New Haven
Joined Dec 2011
166 Posts
Where can I get my hands on a mount like the ones that come with the CTH kits?
cmaynex is offline Find More Posts by cmaynex
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:50 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Either Home Depot + a vice + a drill press... or just email the guys at CTH
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:02 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-stroke View Post
I am looking for some advice I just did a amp draw test on my set up and I am wondering if my battery will take this draw. Here is what I am running:

Power Zoom 370
6X4e prop
30 esc
3s 1300 mah 30C
.......at full throttle it draws 29amp for a second or two then falls off and holds around 25-24amps while running at full
Do you think the battery is ok with this heavy draw??
I have the same motor and prop and read the same with my meter, it was also showing just over 300 watts. I'm using a 40 amp ESC because the place I ordered from was out of 30's and gave me 40's for the same price. There should be a bit of head room on your 30 if its a quality unit... I'd run it without worry.

EDIT...... rechecked the motor specs for the Zoom 370. says 24 amps max. I might be pushing it with this prop on a 3 cell.
Last edited by whirlcap; Dec 28, 2012 at 11:54 PM.