HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:44 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,922 Posts
I enjoy doing the videos and photography. Here is another of the same style with the Albatross carrying the micro keychain 808 #16D HD camera with the 120 degree wide angle D lens from http://stores.ebay.com/eletoponline365 The top video has an image stabilizer the bottom is the same video without the stabilizer. You can watch them at the same time and see the difference. Turn the sound off on one of them if you watch them together.

Due to copyright laws you need to use "creative commons music" where the the rights have been released by the composer and performers. I got a few threats from youtube and even had the sound track deleted from some of my videos when I used popular music without permission.

https://www.google.com/search?q=crea...ient=firefox-a

The lens on the plane is a little blurry because of the snow on it from all the touch and goes.

Albatross with pod #2 (4 min 4 sec)

Albatross with pod with 808 #16D (4 min 4 sec)
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Dec 23, 2012 at 12:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:40 PM
TOO MUCH FUN!!
USA, SC, CAMPOBELLO
Joined Jun 2002
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdad1 View Post
Here is my ASSASSIN #2
All I have to do is cut in the battery slot and glue in my velcro strap and I am ready to fly.

17.5 oz total
Power-up 370 Zoom Motor
30 Amp ESC
HS82 MG Servos
APC 6X4 Prop
Orange RX
1300 Battery
I finally got to fly the maiden flight today. All I can say about this motor is WOW!!!
Blu did not steer me wrong here... Thanks!
billdad1 is offline Find More Posts by billdad1
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:40 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,231 Posts
Nice job Billdad1,

Is that a pre-lam paint job or color monocoat? Looks real nice.

Your set up is 1/2 oz lighter than mine with the exact same electronics other than I'm using 1500mah's and have a slightly heavier 40 A ESC. We are in full storm mode here, no more flight testing for a while for me. My brief flight showed me great power and speed but was just too windy and our park gets real choppy wind too. I can't wait to actually open mine up and turn some hot passes and vertical rolls. I didn't even get to do any rolls, want to see the rate.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:37 PM
TOO MUCH FUN!!
USA, SC, CAMPOBELLO
Joined Jun 2002
283 Posts
Whirlcap,
Thanks! I painted the foam and then laminated everything.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:05 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdad1 View Post
Whirlcap,
Thanks! I painted the foam and then laminated everything.
Nice paint job. I am getting ready to design the color scheme on my first wing. I like what you did with yours
foamyflyerr is online now Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I enjoy doing the videos and photography. Here is another of the same style with the Albatross carrying the micro keychain 808 #16D HD camera with the 120 degree wide angle D lens from http://stores.ebay.com/eletoponline365 The top video has an image stabilizer the bottom is the same video without the stabilizer. You can watch them at the same time and see the difference. Turn the sound off on one of them if you watch them together.

Due to copyright laws you need to use "creative commons music" where the the rights have been released by the composer and performers. I got a few threats from youtube and even had the sound track deleted from some of my videos when I used popular music without permission.

https://www.google.com/search?q=crea...ient=firefox-a

The lens on the plane is a little blurry because of the snow on it from all the touch and goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAIZeZYkCJM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PhZd-C9R5o
Yeah I know all about those copyright issues with the soundtracks. I have had a few of my videos flagged by You Tube
foamyflyerr is online now Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:59 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,231 Posts
Use Vimeo, I have yet to hear anything about the music I've put up there. They let you upload 1 HD video a week, renewing it every Saturday night. And a 500 meg weekly limit. All with a free account.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:18 AM
LOWERRR!
United States, TX, Roanoke
Joined Sep 2006
1,458 Posts
So....

How hard is it to build an Assassin?

I have a Popwing on the way, but I'd like something tough as well. A friend and I fly formation sometimes when we have downtime over here, but I think it might degenerate into combat and I'd rather not lose a pretty plane

Trouble is, I'd like something REALLY simple to build since I don't have all my equipment.
MadMonkey572 is offline Find More Posts by MadMonkey572
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:13 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
Use Vimeo, I have yet to hear anything about the music I've put up there. They let you upload 1 HD video a week, renewing it every Saturday night. And a 500 meg weekly limit. All with a free account.
Except you can't watch vimeo on a lot of smart phones, and a few tablets. That does get kind of annoying.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:16 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonkey572 View Post
So....

I have a Popwing on the way, but I'd like something tough as well. A friend and I fly formation sometimes when we have downtime over here, but I think it might degenerate into combat and I'd rather not lose a pretty plane

Trouble is, I'd like something REALLY simple to build since I don't have all my equipment.
Take a read through the instructions that CTH has on their website for each plane. That will give you an idea what's involved and what tools you need. Personally, i don't consider them difficult, but I'm not over in the sandbox anymore.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:07 AM
TOO MUCH FUN!!
USA, SC, CAMPOBELLO
Joined Jun 2002
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonkey572 View Post
So....

Trust me when I tell you it is really easy!! If I can do it anyone can. Just take one step at a time and don't skip ahead. Each individual step is really easy! Lee has done a great job of providing video on the process.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:15 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
913 Posts
the videos can be a great help, but always remember the .pdf instructions on the website are kept up to date all the time, while the same is not true about the videos. There might be small differences now, that aren't reflected in the videos, because you can't really re-make an entire build video when you update one little thing.

IOW, the videos are a help, but the written instructions are the authority.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:10 AM
My dog ate my airplane
San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
189 Posts
MadMonkey,

If I'm not mistaken the Popwing is cut from the same type of super durable EPP foam, so you may be able to simply use CTH build instructions to beef it up for combat. You may need to get some Extreme tape and order some laminate and shock cord from Lee though? Of course ordering a whole Assassin kit might be easier than trying to get the materials together to build a Popwing like an Assassin?
sredlin is online now Find More Posts by sredlin
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:40 AM
i can't learn fast enough
Aubur, NY-- Finger Lakes
Joined Mar 2009
201 Posts
Billdad1:
Nice plane. What are you using for laminate?
I have a couple in the works, and like the laminate finish. The thinnest I have been able to find is 3mm, and that is really stiff.

Thanks
Terry
Terry Glenn is offline Find More Posts by Terry Glenn
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:15 PM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,940 Posts
My planes have 3 mil (not mm) laminate. It's actually quite thin. 5 mil is thicker and heavier and not needed in my experience. I'm pretty sure Lee still supplies 3 mil laminate in his kits. (At least that's what my last one had.)
jwjohnson is online now Find More Posts by jwjohnson