HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:19 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,178 Posts
Looks like the storm front is right above you based on the clouds.

Luis thanks for the video. Good looking planes.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:03 AM
Indonesia, West Java, Bandung
Joined Aug 2012
46 Posts
noob here with question again,, what airfoil profile is most popular on assassin / widowmaker? MH45,Zipkill, or Zagi 10?
zu_adha is offline Find More Posts by zu_adha
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:34 AM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,983 Posts
Since they both come ready cut - you don't have worry about the airfoil. Just buy one from Crash Test Hobby.
jwjohnson is online now Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:35 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zu_adha View Post
noob here with question again,, what airfoil profile is most popular on assassin / widowmaker? MH45,Zipkill, or Zagi 10?
Any one of those airfoils can be used on a flying wing but it is how you build and fine tune them that makes the difference.

The Assassin is a thick airfoil that acts more like a Cub in slower flight. The Widowmaker is a thin wing that could be build as a sloper. With the same motor they fly at the same top speed but the toughness goes to the thicker wing and the glide goes to the thinner wing. Both are great night flyers.

Both designs are EPP which will bend and not break and can heal when dented. EPO foam cannot do that. EPO foam and EPS foam crush like a foam cup and once smashed they stay smashed. The E-Tape keeps the EPP from tearing but If EPP tears the two halves will return to the original shape and so a repair doesn't leave holes and gaps.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:56 AM
Indonesia, West Java, Bandung
Joined Aug 2012
46 Posts
thanks all

what the best servo type for 55" wing span? micro or mini servo?

and any one have experience to fly any different type of root chord (short or long)? what the flying characteristic for each other?
zu_adha is offline Find More Posts by zu_adha
Last edited by zu_adha; Dec 22, 2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:01 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post

That cloud is part of the "Minden Wave" that often forms when our typical wind from the coast brings moisture. The air gets lifted very high over the Sierra's but the mountains make an abrupt drop on the east side (where we are). It looked low but was probably 15,000 feet MSL. Carson City is at 4,500 ft. The glider pilots in Minden see this cloud formation as "time to fly!" Maybe not so much this time of year though. The cloud will form at any season based on conditions of course. Here is a cool glider video using the lift to gain 16,000 feet in two hours.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=u8klp...%3Du8klpaITRHY
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:48 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,178 Posts
It looked powerful. We get some strong winds with a front like that too.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:49 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zu_adha View Post
thanks all

what the best servo type for 55" wing span? micro or mini servo?

and any one have experience to fly any different type of root chord (short or long)? what the flying characteristic for each other?
My rule of thumb is any plane using the 2812 motor gets mini servos and any plane using a 3530 or bigger gets standard servos.

Minis will fly the bigger planes but when the speed goes up they don't have the torque to control the plane. Ask me how I know...
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:27 PM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
268 Posts
I'm new to wings. Read the 438 pages but have questions. Don't care much about about top speed (yet!) but want good slow performance and glide. So, Widowmaker...right? Can't believe no mention of 2s with bigger prop to start slow and lazy under good control in a relatively tight field! Is this not an option for some reason? Don't mind upgrading later when I get her under control. Have lots of 2s and 3s 500's and two 3s 1800's that I want to use.

Great thread. CTH Rocks!
Backyard is online now Find More Posts by Backyard
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:02 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,457 Posts
Lee

I am a so happy person. I have the airfoil so I can make myself the wings. And I hope, one day, you could post the plans, and also, the airfoil to everyone!

Merry christmas!

Quote:

Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:53 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Considering Lee designs his own wings, and then sells them as part of a legit business, I think it would be quite unfair to expect Lee to make the specs of his designs public. (And even more unfair for someone else to publicize his designs... downright illegal for someone else to SELL his designs!)

Let's just enjoy Lee's great work, and support him by buying his great products.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:05 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,986 Posts
I guess people don't watch the videos or bother to comment. Mine have shown fast and slow assassin flying, not to mention chair launches and other fun things. Yes, you can putt the assassin around a small field and it flies very solid.
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:52 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,178 Posts
Here is a video we shot today of the 63" Herc Pusher.

Herc Pusher 63" with 808 #16D (5 min 20 sec)
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,804 Posts
Quote:
Here is a video we shot today of the 63" Herc Pusher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Yjw7pXQaI
Lee that Herc is very cool. Nice Video BTW , love the split screen and a very well done soundtrack. I have a customer that is a spear fisherman and he brought me in a dvd that he produced where he had done the soundtrack himself on a keyboard with sythesizers. He has inspired me to do that same I am going to get a keyboard and start composing my own soundtracks as well. Your video inspires me to work with some split screen. I am led to believe that my son in law is getting me a key chain cam for christmas.

Keep up the good work producing those videos and of course producing those awesome wings. I just got mine sent to me and will be joining Bluhammer and Jim in aerial combat.
foamyflyerr is online now Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
I guess people don't watch the videos or bother to comment. Mine have shown fast and slow assassin flying, not to mention chair launches and other fun things. Yes, you can putt the assassin around a small field and it flies very solid.

I'll attest to that. Blu and Jims' assassins combating in the skies is the highlight of any of our flying days at the East Bay Boys flying field. I hope to be joining them in the Assassin combats soon.
foamyflyerr is online now Find More Posts by foamyflyerr