HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:27 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
@ zu_adha: I agree with whirlcap... You're overthinking the servo angle way too much. Any difference in the physics of the positioning will be so slight, it makes almost no difference compared to how stiff you make the elevons, how solidly the servos and servo horns are glued in, and how much the push rod bends. So, straight, angled... Just pick whichever you think looks best, and worry about how solid everything else is.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:49 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
Got lots of flying in today and it ended well with only a couple crashers.. I managed to break the shaft on my 2812 though. Everywhere I can think of is sold out of motors... Any ideas... Also whats the next step for speed? bigger motors people are using? Different props... as of tight now its as per CTH build recommendations, I have another 2812 its on my night flyer tho and I dont want to take it off cuz night flying is a whole new realm
I very highly recommend a re-wound 2812 motor, for stepping up speed. There are plenty of us that have done it, and are very happy with it. It's easier than it looks at first, and is a pretty fun addition to the hobby, I think. Most of all, it turns a cheap, simple motor into a speed demon There's no question, the re-wound 2812 is a zippy step up from the stock 2812.

A spool of wire is pretty dang cheap, and you can re-wind a lot of motors with a single spool. The best wire is here:
http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...how&ref=MD24MW

A good video explaining how to do a re-wind of a 2812 is here:
Motor Winding Tutorial (HobbyKing CF2812) (10 min 56 sec)

And here's a good reference diagram that shows the path of the wire:
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:50 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
(Hey, look at that. I think I got all the pertinent re-winding links and info in a single post! )
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:43 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,328 Posts
I somehow got too busy to play with the rewinding but I made myself a tool for rewinding motors that really helped.

I bought a 12 volt buzzer from radio shack and would connect one of my 3 cell lipos in line with it and put one clip on a stripped end of the wire and the other on the stator. If I had any short during winding the buzzer would sound letting me know when and where I had a problem.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:24 AM
Indonesia, West Java, Bandung
Joined Aug 2012
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
@ zu_adha: I agree with whirlcap... You're overthinking the servo angle way too much. Any difference in the physics of the positioning will be so slight, it makes almost no difference compared to how stiff you make the elevons, how solidly the servos and servo horns are glued in, and how much the push rod bends. So, straight, angled... Just pick whichever you think looks best, and worry about how solid everything else is.
ok, really appreciate that folks.. yeah maybe i over worried about that, but maybe not because i am a newbie in RC, even i never flying anything before. i just don't wanna make mistake, maybe that rod position make plane easier to flying, but once again thank you so much..
zu_adha is offline Find More Posts by zu_adha
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:56 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,328 Posts
One other idea related to the push rod angle and probably one of the most important is keeping the weight forward so the wing will balance. If you put the servos so the push rods are at 90 degrees to the hinge line, the servos will be farther back from the nose so the wing is more likely to need added weight in the nose to get the plane to balance.

I like the servos as far forward as possible and this is easier to do with the servos more centered in the plane.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:22 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
I like so much the bi-directional filament tape!

Thank you so much friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Luis is in Brazil so availability of products and venders will be different. We have seen the single direction fiber tape work where the bidirectional is not available.
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:15 AM
Indonesia, West Java, Bandung
Joined Aug 2012
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
One other idea related to the push rod angle and probably one of the most important is keeping the weight forward so the wing will balance. If you put the servos so the push rods are at 90 degrees to the hinge line, the servos will be farther back from the nose so the wing is more likely to need added weight in the nose to get the plane to balance.

I like the servos as far forward as possible and this is easier to do with the servos more centered in the plane.
wow thanks for nice explanation...
zu_adha is offline Find More Posts by zu_adha
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:00 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
Everywhere I can think of is sold out of motors... Any ideas...
Looks like you'll have to go with eBay. Search "2812 motors." Just check the specs very carefully to make sure you're getting exactly what you need (shaft size, KV, etc.). And of course check the rating of the seller. But I've had really good experience going this route. The eBay sellers seem to guard their reputation numbers fiercely, so they ship quickly. Sending the thing back to Hong Kong isn't going to be financially feasible, so there is some risk.
michaelingp is online now Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
There's no question, the re-wound 2812 is a zippy step up from the stock 2812.
When you're done, how many amps does the motor draw? I assume it doesn't change the KV, so you'll have to go with a smaller prop, no? What prop size do you recommend to keep the current within limits?
michaelingp is online now Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:24 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
I'm not sure about the exact amp draw. (Anyone else know?) All mine are on 30A esc's, and they do fine, though. But it certainly does change the kv. On most esc's, you'll have to change the timing to high.

You stick with the same 7x6 prop, though.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
Static on a fresh charged battery it pulls about 36 amps, so a 30 is plenty. I've never had trouble with a 30 amp esc even running full throttle all over the place.
Whomprat is offline Find More Posts by Whomprat
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:47 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Me neither, not so far, and I've got 3 or 4 wings with rewind 2812's
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:24 AM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Yesterday me and my son went to the park, near our house, to fly and have some fun. I could maiden my new Assassin with the keycamera #16 (full hd). The flight was amazing, right responses, fast and direct passages, this wing is so cool!
Asa voadora Assassin (3 min 16 sec)

I was using a Hitec Aurora 9 with a Hitec Optima 7, CF2812, esc 30a GWS and 1.3mah 3S turnigy.

Lee, thank you so much, for sure you made one more happier person
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,917 Posts
latest video of wing flying from the East Bay Boys.
Blu (Dave) is flying his wing with streamers on it. Watch for a totally awesome touch and go near the end of the video
wing flying 12 16 2012 touch and go (4 min 30 sec)
foamyflyerr is online now Find More Posts by foamyflyerr