HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:58 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
It will fly! But a lot slower and trust me a real bear to get it launched. How do I know? Three weeks flying it with a reversed prop .
Blu
Been there and watched that pained look on
Blu's face
Glad you figured it out
Good to see both you and Jim battling it oout up there
Can't wait to get mine
built so I can join you
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:16 AM
Indonesia, West Java, Bandung
Joined Aug 2012
46 Posts
hii everyone. i'm realy newbie here. (even, i never flying something except kite and paper plane )

need some help from you guys..

i already bought my foam and lying in my bed. i want to build my 1st wing

wing span 55"

and i want to ask something :

what is the different put the servo-push rod diagonal and straight to the elevon?

meanwhile elevon on flying wing is diagonal, so any conclusion?
what is the different and what is the best for placing the push rod?

and the second one i want to make elevons and i don't know what the best length, width at the front (near trailing edge) and with at the rear.. pict will much appreciate that.. and what type the best one?

and the last one, what is the different using winglets or no? what is the different?
zu_adha is offline Find More Posts by zu_adha
Last edited by zu_adha; Dec 14, 2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:04 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamyflyerr View Post
Been there and watched that pained look on
Blu's face
Glad you figured it out
Good to see both you and Jim battling it oout up there
Can't wait to get mine
built so I can join you
One things for sure my friend, when you get yours up there with us you'll be pretty safe considering we've had one hit in dozens and dozens of combat missions !

Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:33 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
One things for sure my friend, when you get yours up there with us you'll be pretty safe considering we've had one hit in dozens and dozens of combat missions !

Blu
+1 . Seems the best way to hit another model plane is to just fly two at the same time and try to avoid each other, seen more mid-airs that way than in our combat too.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:29 PM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zu_adha View Post
hii everyone. i'm realy newbie here. (even, i never flying something except kite and paper plane )

need some help from you guys..

i already bought my foam and lying in my bed. i want to build my 1st wing

wing span 55"

and i want to ask something :

what is the different put the servo-push rod diagonal and straight to the elevon?

meanwhile elevon on flying wing is diagonal, so any conclusion?
what is the different and what is the best for placing the push rod?

and the second one i want to make elevons and i don't know what the best length, width at the front (near trailing edge) and with at the rear.. pict will much appreciate that.. and what type the best one?

and the last one, what is the different using winglets or no? what is the different?
1) Pushrods should be 90 degrees to the elevon hinge line.
2) Make your elevons as in your picture #2 and extend them to the end of the wing.
3) Yes, you will most likely want winglets on the ends of your wings. They will stabilize the wing in flight*

*note: The Assassin does not require winglets IF you modify the leading edge near the wing tips see the Assassin assembly instructions on how to do this.*
blunight is online now Find More Posts by blunight
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:02 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
You can get away with push rods that are pointing straight back; I've done it on a couple wings. But you have to make sure the rod is solid, and not bending anywhere. (Well, ok, you should do that anyway, but even more so, in this case)

But having them angled so that they are perpendicular to the elevon is more efficient and less problematic.

What plane you building, zu_adha?
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:28 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,250 Posts
I have built both ways. As long as the push rod isn't binding at the hinge line I can't tell which way they are set up. I like the looks of the rods going straight back and it also is in line with the wind over the plane.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:54 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Having them perpendicular i assume we need to go out on our own dimensions instead of the 10 inch suggested... Im going to do em perpendicular on my scythe.... Which i still havent decided on a motor for. Will a scythe balance out with the little red fc 2812 and a 1300 pack
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:54 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
the instructions used to be a little different. Instead of a fixed measurement, you simply laid out the electronics on top of the foam, and kept shifting them around, until you attained the proper CG. then just mark where they are, remove them, and cut out the bays. Having one single measurement in the instructions doesn't really makes sense to me. There are too many variations in electronics and build preferences, i think it sets people up for problems with getting cg right.

it really won't matter much which way you orient the servos. As long as you attain the proper CG.

and yes, a 2812 motor with a 1300 battery is exactly what I have.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:42 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Got lots of flying in today and it ended well with only a couple crashers.. I managed to break the shaft on my 2812 though. Everywhere I can think of is sold out of motors... Any ideas... Also whats the next step for speed? bigger motors people are using? Different props... as of tight now its as per CTH build recommendations, I have another 2812 its on my night flyer tho and I dont want to take it off cuz night flying is a whole new realm
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:01 AM
Joined Aug 2012
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunight View Post
1) Pushrods should be 90 degrees to the elevon hinge line.
2) Make your elevons as in your picture #2 and extend them to the end of the wing.
3) Yes, you will most likely want winglets on the ends of your wings. They will stabilize the wing in flight*

*note: The Assassin does not require winglets IF you modify the leading edge near the wing tips see the Assassin assembly instructions on how to do this.*
thank you for your explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
You can get away with push rods that are pointing straight back; I've done it on a couple wings. But you have to make sure the rod is solid, and not bending anywhere. (Well, ok, you should do that anyway, but even more so, in this case)

But having them angled so that they are perpendicular to the elevon is more efficient and less problematic.

What plane you building, zu_adha?
i want to build zagi flying wing with sipkill airfoil, and i have lot of styrofoam here so i can make trhee 55" wings so 1st with sipkill 2nd MH45 and 3rd with zagi 10 airfoil. so i can explore wich the best.. what profil airfoil that assasin use btw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I have built both ways. As long as the push rod isn't binding at the hinge line I can't tell which way they are set up. I like the looks of the rods going straight back and it also is in line with the wind over the plane.
so do i, i like the push rod is going straight, its look like more aerodinamic, but i realize that not the angle supposed to be.. and what blunight said compare with you, i more confused, what the best to place the push rod, straight or 90 degree to elevon? what is the different.

i already simulation both of that, and found when i put straight it lot of preasure at the outside elevon on the wing (the push rod more angle on the outside) but when i put on 90 degree the elevon have an equals preasure.

*btw sory for my bad english, english its not my mother language btw..
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:40 AM
Joined Aug 2012
46 Posts
and this is what i get. CMIIW, i need your advice guys..

so what the different going straight or 90 degree
can any one explain the advantage each configuration?

brown = resultant degree cause by control horn
black = angle movement of elevon
blue = servo force vector/direction
green = resultant force cause by cosinus blue/black
purple = vector force from control horn cause by angle of elevon movement to the push rod
orange = tension by control horn cause of different force vector push rod and angle of elevon movement
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:03 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
Quote:

purple = vector force from control horn cause by angle of elevon movement to the push rod
orange = tension by control horn cause of different force vector push rod and angle of elevon movement
I think your worrying too much about it . Angled rods will move the surfaces more efficiently but might have the slightest linkage play and could cause flutter if your wing is fast. This might be unlikely and could happen either way they are mounted anyway. I'm going to make mine straight back only because it looks better to me and may have a lower chance of getting stuck in a tree.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:43 AM
Joined Jul 2010
208 Posts
Quote:

As Lee says, either will work

Vertical servo arms, rods at 90deg and horns with holes over hinge line and no slop will follow servo input most accurately~~~

Angled servo arns, angled rods and angled horns will each introduce differential up and down movement~~~these may be additive or cancel out~~
~if end result is not as required it can be changed in the radio expo etc.~~~~

Most important factor is servos and horns fixed firmly with no binding, flexing and no slop!!!

Angled rods look neatest on wings, BUT horn is at end of elevon and elevon may twist back level and ignore servo at high speed if not stiff enough.~~~~~

Pylon racers, rocket ships etc often have control horn towards middle of elevons, 90deg rods, stronger servos + servo extensions to overcome higher forces.

You pays your money~~~~~~~H
CaribbeanBlue is offline Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Last edited by CaribbeanBlue; Dec 15, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined Jun 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
Got lots of flying in today and it ended well with only a couple crashers.. I managed to break the shaft on my 2812 though. Everywhere I can think of is sold out of motors... Any ideas... Also whats the next step for speed? bigger motors people are using? Different props... as of tight now its as per CTH build recommendations, I have another 2812 its on my night flyer tho and I dont want to take it off cuz night flying is a whole new realm
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...t--dsh-/Detail

If You can get the original out.
Whomprat is offline Find More Posts by Whomprat