HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:23 AM
Joined May 2012
89 Posts
Hi All,
Received my Assassin today and put all the laminate and tapes etc.
I have a Hobby King 35 Amp Esc and the CF2812 motors with 3S lipo 1300mAh.Prop APC style 7x6.
AUW is 534g.Is this too heavy to fly?Bear in mind that I have used tapes to strenghen the leading edges and double laminate the elevons after covering it with bidirectional tape.
Also what is the prop rotation direction?Currently it is spinning clockwise.
I have another issue with the elvevons mixing.So far I have got the stick up and down movement working perfectly fine and correspond to its proper direction.
But the stick left and right movement is moving to the opposite of what it is supposed to be.
In my case stick left movement - left elevon is moving down/right elevon up.
Stick right movement - Right elevon down/ left elevon up.
What am I doing wrong?
Many thanks.
AeroR
AeroR is offline Find More Posts by AeroR
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:13 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
You're on the high end of CTH's recommended target weight, but it'll fly just fine, as long as you attained the proper CG. There wasn't really a need to cover the elevons with tape before double-laminating them, but that's fine. It just makes your wing more susceptible to being tail heavy. So, again, just make sure you're on CG (6.5" back from nose)

The critical thing with the prop is to make sure it's facing forward when you put it on. The writing should be toward the front, so that the thick edge of each blade is cutting the air. Then when you (CAREFULLY!--keep hands clear) throttle up, you'll easily be able to feel whether it's pushing the wing forward or not.

If the prop's rotating backwards, it's an easy fix. Un-plug any two of the three leads that go from the motor to the ESC, and swap them.

As far as programming the movement in the elevons, it would kind of depend on which tx you have, and what settings you're using. Are you in Utah?
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:15 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,964 Posts
Reverse the aileron and elevator connectors at the receiver, I had the same problem.
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined May 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
You're on the high end of CTH's recommended target weight, but it'll fly just fine, as long as you attained the proper CG. There wasn't really a need to cover the elevons with tape before double-laminating them, but that's fine. It just makes your wing more susceptible to being tail heavy. So, again, just make sure you're on CG (6.5" back from nose)

The critical thing with the prop is to make sure it's facing forward when you put it on. The writing should be toward the front, so that the thick edge of each blade is cutting the air. Then when you (CAREFULLY!--keep hands clear) throttle up, you'll easily be able to feel whether it's pushing the wing forward or not.

If the prop's rotating backwards, it's an easy fix. Un-plug any two of the three leads that go from the motor to the ESC, and swap them.

As far as programming the movement in the elevons, it would kind of depend on which tx you have, and what settings you're using. Are you in Utah?
Hi El Capitan,
Im in Melbourne, Australia.
The props that I have do not have any "writing" on them.They are the stock props that LEE recommends from HKing.They came with the paper label that I peeled off.
When I tried spinning the props I could feel the wing wants to go forward so I guess it is fitted properly.
I have Hitec Aurora 9 Tx with Optima 9 Rx. Settings on my Tx: Flying wing with 2 Aileron.Channel 1 Aile, Channel 2 Elev, Channel 3 Thro.
Thanks
AeroR
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined May 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Reverse the aileron and elevator connectors at the receiver, I had the same problem.
Hi Bluhammer,
I will try reversing the connectors from the receiver today and see if it works.
Will report back later on.
Many thanks for the reply.

AeroR
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:12 PM
United States, AK, Dillingham
Joined Mar 2012
58 Posts
I would recommend re-doing the elevons. I did the same thing with my Widowmaker and it didn't fly very well. Thanks to a friend who suggested it, I removed the tape and just double laminated the elevons and it flew a lot better.
hdxtac is offline Find More Posts by hdxtac
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:42 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Double lam is kind of the standard on these EPP elevons now. Plenty of rigidity, even for a wing as big as a Hercules, yet a lot lighter than tape.

Aero, the fact that the prop is pushing air to the back is good, but just double check that the thick edge of the prop blades are cutting the air. If you have a prop on backwards, it will still spin the right direction, and still push air to the back, but it won't be nearly as efficient. The plane likely won't fly at all, actually.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:47 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,418 Posts
Does anybody knows an ebay seller for bidirectional filament 2" tapes ?
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:55 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Does Home Depot not ship to your location?

If not, there are plenty of eBay sellers that do extreme tape. I don't know if there's a preferred seller. Whoever has a good price, and good feedback, I guess.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:35 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,052 Posts
Luis

I have one customer who could not get the E-Tape in his country but he could get the narrow single direction 2-3 cm wide reinforced tape.

The single direction reinforced tape will give you plenty of strength except on the hinge line where the fibers need to cross the hinge line to give the strength, What he did there was cut multiple short pieces of tape and put them across the hinge line and he said it worked.

We tend to add weight with a lot of E-Tape and the narrow tape should work without a problem as described.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:25 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
Double lam is kind of the standard on these EPP elevons now. Plenty of rigidity, even for a wing as big as a Hercules, yet a lot lighter than tape.

Aero, the fact that the prop is pushing air to the back is good, but just double check that the thick edge of the prop blades are cutting the air. If you have a prop on backwards, it will still spin the right direction, and still push air to the back, but it won't be nearly as efficient. The plane likely won't fly at all, actually.
It will fly! But a lot slower and trust me a real bear to get it launched. How do I know? Three weeks flying it with a reversed prop .
Blu
Bluhammer is online now Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:34 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,068 Posts
Don't feel bad Bluhammer. I think we have all done that a time or two.
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:17 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio View Post
Does anybody knows an ebay seller for bidirectional filament 2" tapes ?
Louis-
Here's one seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scotch-Bi-Di...item4845e5e25e

I'm sure there are others including some that sell the generic stuff.
The generic stuff works just as good.
The link there is for the three inch wide stuff. That's what we usually use, just cut it down to a narrower strip if needed
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:33 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,052 Posts
Luis is in Brazil so availability of products and venders will be different. We have seen the single direction fiber tape work where the bidirectional is not available.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:35 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
It will fly! But a lot slower and trust me a real bear to get it launched. How do I know? Three weeks flying it with a reversed prop .
Blu
When you fly as many pushers as I do then trade a motor to a puller design it is easy to miss the prop didn't get turned around. I usually will hear the difference in how the prop sounds if I don't notice it is backwards.