SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:56 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,050 Posts
I hit one of those unprotected foam planes the other day. (hehehehe -- sorry!!!)
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:43 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I hit one of those unprotected foam planes the other day. (hehehehe -- sorry!!!)
I'm not even going to tell them what I'm building . Just going to show up with it.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:21 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
I'm not even going to tell them what I'm building . Just going to show up with it.
Boy are they in for a surprise, hide the women and children!
Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:59 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
316 Posts
Just to be sure everybody is happy with the outcome, you should really tell them at the field, at least. My Assassin has cut a Pop Wing totally in half, knocked the ailerons off one, and knocked the motor off another. All were fixed at the field with hot glue, but you don't want hard feelings over what is supposed to be fun.

Speaking of which... Last week a guy at our field took up a light weight foam cub with a keychain camera in hopes of catching the action on video. Within a minute, my friend's Hercules cut it into shreds, like a cheese slicer. We would have bought him a new one, since he wasn't really a combatant, but he graciously refused our offer.

I'm just saying you don't want hard feelings. Everybody should know what they're getting into ahead of time.
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:04 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
If they're already up there for combat, then all's fair. If your Assassin happens to obliterate their wings into multiple pieces... then it looks like you'll be getting more Assassins and Reapers in your club!

Evolution, baby.

But it is always a good consolation to offer the person a video of their wing exploding, so be sure to film it!
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:27 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan View Post
If your Assassin happens to obliterate their wings into multiple pieces... then it looks like you'll be getting more Assassins and Reapers in your club!
Excellent point. There has been a lot of interest so far, but no takers. But I got so tired of, "Where did you get the plane?" questions that I put stickers on all my CTH planes:
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:54 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,050 Posts
When I broke Doug's plane he told me knocking out the competition is a strange way to sell planes.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:22 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,251 Posts
We all know the risk when we combat. It's all good . I will let them know what they are up against before we are airborne though. Just not going to give them time to get one up on me again I get a Mini Popwing, they get the 900 Popwings. I put a bigger motor on the mini that would keep up and they all put on larger motors before I even got the chance to see if I could keep up, no way after that! I almost went with a Superfly but the Assassin just looks like so much more fun, not to mention it should fly right through a Superfly! . Should also make an okay video platform and as demonstrated at high altitude, a good "take along" plane. Might have to try my own mountain top video too. Got a few around here just under 11,000 ft.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:26 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
When I broke Doug's plane he told me knocking out the competition is a strange way to sell planes.
Don't know about that, sounds like a good way to sell them to me . Fly through me once, shame on you... Fly through twice, shame on me! Lol.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:58 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,963 Posts
WC, take no prisoners brother, they'd do it to you so let loose the dogs of war and enjoy the moment!

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:24 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
250 Posts
Managed to break a prop off in the nose of a competitor. We fly combat nearly 3 times a week and that is the first time that it has happened.

Good fun as always.

nofreee is offline Find More Posts by nofreee
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:34 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,251 Posts
That's a pretty good prop strike!

Question: What is better, GG on a wet shock cord method or the CA method for the shock cord installation? I have both glue's available but not sure which is less brittle when it's set up?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:37 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
I've never heard complaints about the results from either glue for the shock cord. I think that will come down to your preference, as far as ease of application.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:15 PM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
That's a pretty good prop strike!

Question: What is better, GG on a wet shock cord method or the CA method for the shock cord installation? I have both glue's available but not sure which is less brittle when it's set up?
The Gorilla Glue method would be less brittle; it also survives crashes as good as - if not better than the EPP foam itself
blunight is online now Find More Posts by blunight
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:08 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,050 Posts
I have not heard about problems with the shock cord and the G-glue. I use the CA glue for the spar.