HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:29 AM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroR View Post
Hi All,
I have ordered an Assassin 34" from CTH last week and now in the process of ordering the stock parts from Hobby King.
As a newbie to fixed wing I have watched the build videos and was wondering why we need to use 3 servos?
There are two elevons which use two servos as far as I can see in the build video.Where does the third servo hook into?

Thanks.
AeroR
Mine only have 2. The only thing I can see needing a third for is if you want to add a bomb drop..
ttabbal is online now Find More Posts by ttabbal
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:38 AM
Joined May 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal View Post
Mine only have 2. The only thing I can see needing a third for is if you want to add a bomb drop..
Thanks ttabbal.
I will order some spare servos just in case of crashes.
So two servos for two elevons should be good to go.

All these parts are out of stock on Hoby King site.Will just have to wait for them to be in stock again.

AeroR
AeroR is offline Find More Posts by AeroR
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:44 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Yeah, not sure why the video would have said 3 servos. It's always better to go by the pdf instructions provided on the website. They're always more up-to-date than the videos.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:51 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
When you guys install led strips, do you put em in bulbs up into the foam from bottom. Or bulbs down and then laminate em in.... Thanks
I did my first LEDs with the lights facing out, and it looks great, but honestly, it's a bit TOO bright. After flying for a couple of minutes, it starts messing with your eyes, and things get blurry or jumpy in your vision. It's weird. A couple other fliers have said the same thing.

From then on, I always install them with the lights facing into the foam. It's plenty bright to see at night, and the foam diffuses the light really well.

Lee prefers to install lights after the entire build. Personally, I think it's easier to put them in before laminating, and use my foam-melting soldering iron to melt a shallow slot for the lights. No slicing or patching laminate you've already ironed on. I've never had a problem with the iron melting the lights under the lam or anything, since you probably shouldn't let the iron sit in one place long enough to do that kind of damage anyway. I've done about 5 or 6 planes that way, and I put lights on everything I build, now.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:16 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,238 Posts
I sometimes put a bomb drop in using the third servo but the elevons only need two servos.

There are many ways to do the lights. I am lazy and also have retrofitted several planes that were already built and covered with laminate with LED lights. I now have 8 night flying planes.

I like to cut a slot, on the bottom of the wing, through the laminate and about 1/4" deep in the foam and put the lights facing in into the slot and then put a strip of clear packing tape over the lights. The two big advantages are the lights are easy to repair if broken and if I ever retire the plane the lights are reusable.

We see some extreme light set ups. Go for it if you want to and send us some pictures.

This is a video of the Albatross with the lights facing into the wing. There are no lights on the top of the plane.

Albatross Night Flight (4 min 8 sec)
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:10 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
So what's the best streamer material to use for combat on the Assassin? How long, and do you attach one to each wing tip? I have that orange plastic stuff for construction but I can see that getting wrapped up in a prop.

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:17 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,238 Posts
Crepe paper works but I like the 1" plastic construction ribbon at Lowes. It pulls easy and doesn't tear so easy taking a better hit to tear it.

I will pull a single streamer more often than a double streamer and often have it 30 plus feet long.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
So what's the best streamer material to use for combat on the Assassin? How long, and do you attach one to each wing tip? I have that orange plastic stuff for construction but I can see that getting wrapped up in a prop.

Blu
Streamers eh Blu

sounds like an idea
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:50 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I sometimes put a bomb drop in using the third servo but the elevons only need two servos.

There are many ways to do the lights. I am lazy and also have retrofitted several planes that were already built and covered with laminate with LED lights. I now have 8 night flying planes.

I like to cut a slot, on the bottom of the wing, through the laminate and about 1/4" deep in the foam and put the lights facing in into the slot and then put a strip of clear packing tape over the lights. The two big advantages are the lights are easy to repair if broken and if I ever retire the plane the lights are reusable.

We see some extreme light set ups. Go for it if you want to and send us some pictures.

This is a video of the Albatross with the lights facing into the wing. There are no lights on the top of the plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ty1qru3lmc
Nice video there Lee
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:36 AM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,066 Posts
Quote:

Blu
Our club did quite a lot of testing - 2, 20' long Black paper streamers were our favorite.
It's VERY satisfying to see the cut portion drift slowly down after a cut and no clean-up is necessary because they dissolve after a good rain.

The downside is they require a strong motor to pull - the rewound 2812 works perfectly but a stock 2812 with 2, 20' paper streamers is a handful.

The plastic stuff is easier to pull, but it's harder to see drifting down after a cut and makes a mess on the ground that has to be cleaned up afterwards.

Trent
blunight is online now Find More Posts by blunight
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunight View Post
no clean-up is necessary because they dissolve after a good rain.
I think "good rains" might be a lot more common in your part of the country than Orem, Utah!
michaelingp is online now Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:18 AM
Chess club geek with wings
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Aug 2008
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
I think "good rains" might be a lot more common in your part of the country than Orem, Utah!
Yea, and at this time of year the rain is of the solid white type

By the way, we attach our streamers to the wing tips with clear packing tape. We use the same tape to add additional streamer material to the short streamer after a match.
blunight is online now Find More Posts by blunight
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:28 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Thanks guys, can't wait to try it. I've pulled a 100ft streamer from my PZ P-47 before, but no combat.
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,828 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys, can't wait to try it. I've pulled a 100ft streamer from my PZ P-47 before, but no combat.
Sounds good but have you equipped your Bolt with wibdshield wipers
Gonna need them this weekend
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:01 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,582 Posts
Think I'm going to set up a WidowMaker for FPV flying. Trying to get the best of both worlds - light enough to glide a ways and fly smooth for longer duration, relaxing flights which I love but also get that nice sweet speed that I got from my lower-quality PopWing, around 60 MPH.

Going to be running basically the same setup on my WidowMaker as my PopWing (not using anymore): 1360 kv 52g brushess outrunner, 30A ESC with heat sink, 7x5 prop, 11g metal geared servos, 1300 mAH 3S 20 or 30C packs, FPV cam/vTX/filter.

Might try a 7x6 prop though just because

Should be lots of fun!

Dan
DJO is online now Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CustomFPVSetups.com