SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:54 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,236 Posts
E-mail us. We don't list them but do sell them separately.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:13 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
E-mail us. We don't list them but do sell them separately.
Great, I will
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:23 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
I am using a motor mount from Hobbyking (see below). In my last nose crash, caused from a brown out from my HK 30a esc with a hitec optima 6, it also bent but I could put it back on itīs place.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._43_42mm_.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunight View Post
The motor mount is one of the few items I wish Lee would sell "a la cart"...
it's consistently the only thing to sustain damage in a full speed crash into the ground. They bend back well the first couple of times but after a while they get pretty soft
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:53 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Repaired my combat damaged Assassin and now it flies even better then before!
Re-hinged the right aileron, put new bigger servo arms on, and straightened out the badly tweaked motor mount. The slightly longer servo arms have made her roll much better, actually way better. For some reason it never rolled this sharply before even with longer throws programmed in? What an awesome plane.

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:35 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2011
7 Posts
Maiden flight

My son and I maidened our new Assassin this weekend. The first battery went great, first time we had flown a wing. Was able to bring it in for a soft landing. We unintentionally tested the indestructibility of the Assassin with the next two batteries. It passed the tests beyond our wildest imaginations. A couple of questions: When we turn on the radio, with the trottle stick and trim to its minimum setting, the motor still runs, albeit slowing. Anyone know what's wrong? Next, the Assassin wants to dive big time, we always need to add a lot of elevator on the stick to maintain level flight. I suppose adjusting the servos will fix this, but shoudl I mess with the CG or do anything else. Finally, the little set screw came out of the little red motor. Any idea where to find a replacement?

Thanks, this thread has been a lot of help.

Scott
Vurtdog is offline Find More Posts by Vurtdog
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:00 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vurtdog View Post
Finally, the little set screw came out of the little red motor. Any idea where to find a replacement?
Scott
They are standard 3mm set screws:

http://shop.dubro.com/p/3mm-x-3-socket-set-screws-4-pkg

The British (and thus Hobby King and anybody in Hong Kong) call them "grub screws". Your local hobby shop might have them. I recommend using a little Loctite blue thread locker when you put them back.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_l...r-Blue-242.htm
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Last edited by michaelingp; Nov 19, 2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:38 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
When we turn on the radio, with the trottle stick and trim to its minimum setting, the motor still runs, albeit slowing. Anyone know what's wrong?
Not for sure, but it's worth trying to reset the throttle max/min on your ESC. For most brands, here's how it goes:

-take the prop off the motor
-start with everything off
-turn on your tx
-push throttle stick all the way up
-plug in your battery on the plane (the motor should not run... instead, it goes into programming mode)
-wait for a "special" beep sequence from your ESC, and then push the throttle stick all the way down
-the ESC should beep again, and then you've set the throttle max/min

Quote:
Next, the Assassin wants to dive big time, we always need to add a lot of elevator on the stick to maintain level flight. I suppose adjusting the servos will fix this, but shoudl I mess with the CG or do anything else.
Check two things, before making any changes:

1. does your wing balance on the proper CG, as per the instructions?
2. when the plane is plugged in, and your hands are off the sticks, do the elevons have a slight amount of reflex? (In other words, are the elevons slightly higher than the angle of the wing itself?)

Both answers should be yes. If CG is off, or your elevons don't have any reflex, those are easy to fix.

If CG is on, and elevons have reflex, but you're STILL getting a lot of dive... then it's trickier.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:39 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
I recommend using a little Loctite blue thread locker when you put them back.
Or a dab of hot glue. Both work fine, but hot glue is easier to get off when you want to remove the screw on purpose.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:47 PM
Joined Dec 2011
7 Posts
michaelingp and elCapitan, thanks, you guys are great.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:53 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
A couple of questions: When we turn on the radio, with the trottle stick and trim to its minimum setting, the motor still runs, albeit slowing.
Do like el Capitan says to recalibrate the endpoints. But after that is done you may need to rebind (throttle down, other sticks neutral) to save the proper failsafe points.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Dec 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
Do like el Capitan says to recalibrate the endpoints. But after that is done you may need to rebind (throttle down, other sticks neutral) to save the proper failsafe points.
Will do. Thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:53 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Finally, the little set screw came out of the little red motor. Any idea where to find a replacement?
Was it the set screw that holds the bell onto the shaft?
Or rather one of the two screws that hold to motor into the motor mount?

If it's the ones that hold the motor into the mount I replace those with 3mm cap screws.
(blue locktite is your friend with these guys)
They are stocked in the hardware department at Home Depot (and most likely your LHS)
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:24 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,236 Posts
I put the 3mm screws in my motor bases before I ever fly them. They are much more reliable but beware!!! You can over tighten them and either strip the threads or bend the bearing in the motor. I use the lock tight too as you can see in the picture below but don't get it in the bearing.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:11 AM
Mt. Airy, NC
Joined Aug 2004
331 Posts
How fast will the Assassin go with this setup?

Hey folks.. the wife is asking me for a Christmas list :-) so I think the Assassin may be on it!

I have the Nitro Planes Mini Pop 600mm wing that was beefed up by Johhnymeg for those of you that are familiar.. it is FAST! Probably at least 65+

I would like a little bigger sized wing that will AT LEAST go that fast or faster... I know there are a lot of choices out there but I might as well just pick one and go with it.. I would love to just buy a combo deal like Plane Insane offers so I don't have to shop everywhere and pay the extra shipping.

The question is.. with the CF 2812 Motor Combo recommended setup from Plane Insane.. just how fast are we talking?

I have tried to search but there's just so many comments to look through so hoping someone can chime in..

Here's the link to the combo kit on the top right hand side..

http://www.planeinsanerc.com/index.php?PageID=275

Thanks!
BlueDevil is offline Find More Posts by BlueDevil
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:37 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Comparable, but not much more than that. Although, if you take that little red motor and re-wind it with 9 winds of 24g MicroDan wire... zoom!

That said, you mentioned looking for a "bigger sized wing." Have you looked at Crash Test Hobby's Grim Reaper? A little more size, and easily 65-70mph with the standard recommended 3530 1800kv motor (PlaneInsane also sells).