Jeff at headsuprc.com offers Very GOOD Service & $2.00 shipping
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:46 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,469 Posts
Plane Insane used to have them as well- Haven't checked lately...
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:00 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,007 Posts
Occasionally we cut wings that have minor defects, usually a wire mark from cutting the wing. It will not affect flight, and in most cases is not visible after the plane has been laminated. These kits are discounted and can be purchased based on availability.

These kits include the same EPP wing cores and elevons, laminate and hardware of the regular kit.

Please contact us though our website if you are interested.

http://crashtesthobby.com/sales
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Nov 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:29 PM
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm currently building my Assassin and I've got a few questions as this is my first ever plane build. I found Ninjas Youtube video of his Assassin with a big battery and motor and he directed me here. I'm going to be following in his footsteps because I have a bunch of 2200 batteries for my 450 heli and I'm thrifty like that.

To show just how green I am I'll start with the most embarrassing question first.

How do I assemble the prop on the motor? I bought the same motor (ExceedRC 3010 1700KV) Ninja has from hobbypartz. It has a bunch of adapters and I'm not sure which ones I need and in which order. Also the mounting bracket doesn't seem like it will fit the assassin mount.

Is painting the laminate okay?

How do I setup a "bomb" drop servo? I've never really seen the mechanics of it all.

With my 2200mah battery should I be mounting as the directions state or will the CG be off?

That's all I can think of at the moment but I'm sure there will be more questions the further I get in the build. I've only laminated it so far, but now all the parts are here and I'm ready to finish it.
Thursday is offline Find More Posts by Thursday
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:51 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
How do I assemble the prop on the motor?
Easiest way is with a "prop saver." (Don't know if you have one of those, but ya should get a few!) It's just a collar that goes on the motor shaft with two screws on each side. Slip that on, tighten it down, then put the prop on (with the right sizing ring stuck in the center of the prop). Then use an o-ring from screw-to-screw, over the prop, to hold it on.

Make sure you only mount the prop when you're ready to fly--for safety reasons. And Also make sure the prop is mounted the right direction. The thick side of the blade should be cutting the air.

Quote:
Is painting the laminate okay?
Generally doesn't work out too well. If you really want paint, someone can chime in with the right type, but you have to paint the foam, then laminate over it, and get the timing just right.

Much easier and IMO more highly recommended to laminate, then use stick-on color sheets or colored packing tape to make designs. Way easier, bolder colors.

Quote:
How do I setup a "bomb" drop servo? I've never really seen the mechanics of it all.
I'm going to defer to someone else on this. The only one I ever did was very unconventional. It didn't drop a bomb; it dropped an Assassin from a Storm Chaser. Wicked awesome, but not what you're looking for.

Quote:
With my 2200mah battery should I be mounting as the directions state or will the CG be off?
Oh, darn, that's right. CTH changed the instructions. This is exactly why I wish they hadn't.

Instead of a single measurement in the instructions where the electronics are "supposed" to go, the instruction used to include this other method (which you should follow, because yes, with a 2200 battery, your CG would be WAY off, if you stuck to their measurement which was designed for a 1300 batt):

1) finish the build up to where the wing is laminated and the elevons are hinged on.
2) measure where the proper CG should be, on the bottom of the wing (x" back form the nose... I forget)
3) extend a line perpendicular from that mark, out on either side of the wing, and stick a thumb tack in each side.
4) lay out all your electronics on top of the wing, how you think they'll go, then try to lift the wing up and balance it on the pins.
5) shift the electronics around as needed, until the wing balances (or gets as close as possible)
6) mark where all the electronics are sitting now, and then you can remove them and use those marks as guides to cut slots.
7) if you didn't have enough space on the surface to get things to completely balance, add weight (coins, washers, lead... whatever) to get it to balance.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:06 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Just maidened my second assassin and contrary to the greatness of my first she nose dives and barely maintains level flight when i apply full elevator till it rolls n crashtesthobby lol, its truly identical but im assuming my elevons just arent where they were on my peecious one. What was the suggested starting setup for em?
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:13 PM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Did you make sure your prop isn't on backwards? Done that before!

Recommended setup is slightly higher than the angle of the top of the wing just in front of the elevons, with movement being 3/8" up and 3/8" down
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:36 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,007 Posts
A Reaper video with the Keychain Cameras #16 and #16D

RC Bowling with Reaper #16D HD (re-edit) (3 min 11 sec)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:46 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,691 Posts
East Bay Boys Dave and Jim combating with Assassin Wings
Assassin Wings combat 11 11 2012 (4 min 25 sec)
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:25 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamyflyerr View Post
East Bay Boys Dave and Jim combating with Assassin Wings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd6cRejQY_k
Great flying field. Watch out!!! Combat is addicting!!!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:53 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,469 Posts
Quote:
How do I assemble the prop on the motor? I bought the same motor (ExceedRC 3010 1700KV) Ninja has from hobbypartz. It has a bunch of adapters and I'm not sure which ones I need and in which order. Also the mounting bracket doesn't seem like it will fit the assassin mount.
Mount the motor directly to the steel mount.

There is more than one way to get this all done but what I did was the reverse the shaft mod on this motor.
This motor doesn't have a second groove to move the e clip so I added a 5/32 wheel collar onto the end of the shaft to retain the shaft onto the motor.
Then a 4mm prop adapter on the other end.

How to reverse the shaft:
http://crashtesthobby.com/instructio...t-modification

4mm prop saver
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...FWrZQgodRSwAvA

Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
Mount the motor directly to the steel mount.

There is more than one way to get this all done but what I did was the reverse the shaft mod on this motor.
This motor doesn't have a second groove to move the e clip so I added a 5/32 wheel collar onto the end of the shaft to retain the shaft onto the motor.
Then a 4mm prop adapter on the other end.

How to reverse the shaft:
http://crashtesthobby.com/instructio...t-modification

4mm prop saver
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...FWrZQgodRSwAvA

Thanks ninja. I was finishing mine up about the time you posted this. I did it a little different using one of the adapters that came with the motor.

I finally finished it and of course antsy me took it out in all this snow we have here in Farmington. Now I think I shorted my ESC. You guys make getting in the air look easy or I have something seriously messed up with my assassin. I'll post some pictures of my build a little later.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:56 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,469 Posts
Some things to check.
CG- 6.25 to 6.5 in back from the nose
Reflex- make sure that the elevons have some "up" with the servos centered. If they are trimmed neutral, you're headed for the ground
Elevons are set up correctly- it's easy to get a servo reversed
Prop on backwards?- make sure the letters are facing the front.

What esc are you using? This particular motor seems to like to be set on "high" timing for some reason...
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Oct 2012
14 Posts
Good news I sat my assassin in front of the fire place to get all the snow off and its working again. I think my left and right controls might be wrong unless the directions are wrong. Left stick = Left elevon up??

Here's how my motor turned out.

Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:26 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,469 Posts
move the right stick all the way to the left- left elevon goes up
move the right stick all the way to the right- right elevon goes up